Battle over Bedfordshire or the demise of a Dornier.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Work has got in the way of fun over the past week or so, but I have managed to sneak a little modelling in.

I sprayed some Humbrol 65 over the underside of the model, added some staining and pre-shading with  powdered crayon pencil and then went over that with a new tin of Colourcoats RLM 65. It's exactly the colour I was hoping for- none of that weird turquoise we had to put up with in the 20th century!

After that was dry, I did this.

p?i=f2030f5d9458525ab6b6b7811ce591b1

Not exactly my favourite job, but at least that's done now. I have since sprayed a base coat of DBI FS 34102 over the topsides, mainly as I have lots of it. Once that's dry, I'll mask off the areas for the RLM 71 and spray that, hopefully tomorrow.

By the way, I thought I'd give hobbyphotohost a try. So far, it seems to be exactly what I need- simple and works with my ancient iMac.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Mark, looks like you're doing a fine job with this build. I've come to appreciate just how attractive an aircraft the Dornier is. Ray

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

It's exactly the colour I was hoping for- none of that weird turquoise we had to put up with in the 20th century!

I have a few of these on the shelf, they do seem a bit bright these days :D

Not much to report on the Hurricane front, apart from having fitted the transparencies. As mentioned in the Woods-Scawen thread, I wasn't too impressed with the fit of the windscreen, as I had to do some surgery on both the fuselage and windscreen to get a reasonable fit. I think I might invest in some of the newly-tooled canopy parts once I have seen some mention of them.

p?i=813f816f746a62359a8d5b47d3e29cf8

I now have three Hurricanes to mask. Oh, the joy!

Speaking of masking:

p?i=c520bea3d9a8312d5d4f0dd96c52c15c

I have removed some of the masking around the tail and found an area where I didn't get the masking aligned properly. On this kit, rather than spray the RLM 71 overall and then mask off those areas, I decided to try masking each colour's area in turn to hopefully avoid any ridges. Sadly, my masking accuracy wasn't as good as I hoped, so some retouching will be necessary. Not sure it was worth the bother, to be honest, especially with the time constraints of a groupbuild. You live and learn.

Much as I love the colour accuracy of the Colourcoats paints, I do struggle a bit with the lack of opacity. I realise it's the price one pays for a smooth finish, but it took ages to get enough coverage with the RLM 71 and with the Schwartzgrün I ended up using a base coat of Humbrol 91 and then overcoating with the Colourcoats. I'm not sure if I was doing anything wrong, but it was taking forever!

I'll be back later once I have removed the masking.

Cheers,

Mark.

OK, topside masks off! Overall, it came out better than I hoped. Apart from the tailplane, where I was way out, there's just one more area with masking misalignment, and that's right under where a walkway decal will go, so I'm not fussed about that. I need to touch up the obvious line you can see, but otherwise, I think I'm good to go.

p?i=e6107f9ebb9e8b1ab3b88e47b74d11e9

• Like 1