1/350 Revell, Tirpitz (Platinum Ed)

Hi All,
 Here is the start of my build of DKM Tirpitz.
 The kit is good and the accessories made by Pontos are great to. I will be doing a little bit of changing the kit if I see it being incorrect and noticeable. Otherwise it will be as per instructions plus PE.

Chris

5iKAOnMh.jpg
eWtyp7th.jpg
racDsBrh.jpg
c0ya9ddh.jpg
rMwOk8Ch.jpg
bGeHoYTh.jpg
rQwrnSuh.jpg

• Like 9

I made a start early by joining the hull sides together last week so had time to dry out. 
 I have now looked at the hull detail and started cleaning up what i can and replacing some of it. 
I have corrected the bow as the kit hull is Bismark mould. The curve is different on the Tirpitz. Also will be replacing the Ladders. 
 I have installed nuts on the inside ready for pedestals when i get some.

Waiting for post man to bring me my paints as well today. I invested on all the weathering sets too. Pics when they arrive.

Chris

8B8Tfl6h.jpg
ayEE9UCh.jpg
IFAJv4hh.jpg
oLRte6Yh.jpg
qb4vQW6h.jpg
JiNNfkwh.jpg
Uqsbs5Qh.jpg
pMFn0sih.jpg
MgcqSW4h.jpg
sikK6rOh.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
 The deck is now on and the prop shafts installed.I also fitted a 2.5mm strip down the centre to put back the strip I sanded off because of the joint but this way you can't see the seem. I have also done the 6 - 15mm guns this evening. I really like the Pontos etch.
Also here are the pics of the stash that came today.

Chris.

imjWCL0h.jpg
sziX3bzh.jpg
klEYl1Qh.jpg
ehMYZSqh.jpg
mDKYqePh.jpg
ad4fuLVh.jpg
v8YMU26h.jpg
piSKUxmh.jpg
wtc1seah.jpg
9NJC9Wxh.jpg
X7Q0b1hh.jpg

• Like 15

16 hours ago, magpie1832 said:

I have corrected the bow as the kit hull is Bismark mould. The curve is different on the Tirpitz.

Gidday Chris, I didn't know that. The work you've done on those 15cm turrets look good. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Today was slow. I've drilled out the portholes moved a few aswell to incorporate the 4th ladder at the rear and deleted one on one side as the original plans show ish and added the eyelids. Then I used stretched sprue to simulate the weld lines. 

Chris

utcSe9Yh.jpg
0cjvzEXh.jpg
m2tjGwnh.jpg
zoUDwOwh.jpg
4s2TwVVh.jpg
shNMndOh.jpg
m3LXYWdh.jpg
U5cSywxh.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks  for looking in guys.

I ordered some Mk1 portholes and the eduard set as it has extra bits the Pontos set didn't.
I have marked off the deck to remove the furniture ready for replacing. 
 I have had a go at making the blast bags with milliput. Very tricky but look better than none there. I then started to drill the hull with 0.3mm drill for the steps on the side.

Chris

sOYLT84h.jpg
BLULh54h.jpg
XusIHJLh.jpg
N1INwK0h.jpg
k47PtdKh.jpg
fBXeuD3h.jpg
dbR9KIeh.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks guys for looking in.

Here I have done quite a bit of modding. I started my removing the steps and the detail then I removed one bit off the smoke stack and replaced with plasticard. Also I cut out the vents and made my own. I fitted the next part which had gaps so cut the supports off and replaced again with plasticard. Iv'e installed some of the ribs, not to happy with them but no other way to do them with my ability. Installed some of the ladders to.

I have also finished installing the steps on the Hull.

Chris

hNcPru4h.jpg
7Is72GXh.jpg
Wa0YDS4h.jpg
Cr9EffYh.jpg
LpKCqwbh.jpg
3T1b7Bqh.jpg
AO9t4kbh.jpg
oGbwfsbh.jpg
2Zh6QXdh.jpg
LIwuseVh.jpg
V1Ugemeh.jpg
R62NcCBh.jpg
8sFJXqwh.jpg
s1cYhZBh.jpg
NiTc80bh.jpg
h8l6ouYh.jpg
cVWxu0kh.jpg
SDwgui9h.jpg
VdEopP7h.jpg
CThc4jUh.jpg
fUwR8Tyh.jpg

• Like 12

Thanks guys for looking in..

I have now finished the Funnel. All ready for primer. I have now started on the decks. I started by cutting the deck in half at a point where you can't see it so I can handle the two halves easier. Then moved on to drilling out the portholes then removing detail also the parts needed to be removed for the PE to be fitted. I also removed the vents and replaced with my own.

Chris

pzsB8FSh.jpg
VeQmMsZh.jpg
QF8YZoQh.jpg
sQL0ZIuh.jpg
Fx85OZph.jpg
32ih8gFh.jpg
7pslAZ8h.jpg
I7H3GExh.jpg
QlgzUFlh.jpg
imQrA9Ih.jpg
YZjD6Mqh.jpg
FGDFsGvh.jpg
wqUOnYsh.jpg
pMRZPj8h.jpg
iuIYuRXh.jpg
M41batTh.jpg
JQxOiUSh.jpg
sraDFyAh.jpg
K4Bbq1Xh.jpg
myzadWWh.jpg

• Like 15

@Planebuilder62 Thanks for looking in. I am trying different ways at the moment. I think I have cracked it though. 

I have tried cheap super glue in thick and medium. Works great but for me with small etch parts goes of too quick. I did try placing the PE ( only the small ones) in place holding it there and a touch of Tamiya Quick setting Liquid. It sticks them great if you don't knock it then prime the area it wont come off.

But then I came across VMS 5k superglue the other day. They have 3 different ones. I only got slow and standard. I have tried them both and is a slight time difference in setting but one is thicker.

I can place the parts and move them around for a good 10 seconds now. If they set just flick it off and scrap away the glue and go again. But like I said Iv'e only had them since weekend so haven't given them the full kit treatment. Only thing I did notice it would be better using Rocket or other branded for high strength parts.

Chris

Edited by magpie1832

Terrific work on that funnel PE; it’s not easy to get it looking as neat as that.  Also nice to see a Tirpitz build for once; so many people seem obsessed with her sister...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for looking in Guys and your nice comments.

@Ex-FAAWAFU I sometimes wish I had done Bismark as there is more info out there. But now found a good book for me to work with. Plus the Revell Bismark platinum had far less Pontos brass with it.  But Yes the Tirpitz is a better looking ship with all the Camo schemes. I'm noticing more and more differences between the two as I go along.

Things are slow at the moments as figuring out the best way to build her and which order to fit parts before or after painting and before or after wooden decks etc.
I bought the Top drawings Tirpitz book and that gives me so much info. I will try to correct what I think will be noticed plus a few others just for the sake of it lol.

The portholes were mainly correct but had to remove four and add about ten in the correct places. 

I changed the plastic gun tub and changed it to a strip of old PE fret.

I have joined the two decks together and sanded and then decided to add the cabling along the structure.

Air vents have been replaced and tried to recreate and position them from the plans.

I also notice that some of the solid railings were too short so extended them with Styrene.
I have added the cutouts for the Periscope too.

Chris
m6USVZih.jpg
kSJkKVwh.jpg
E0vxhjth.jpg
Zdcu9rVh.jpg
NqyjSbKh.jpg
g9ok8Iuh.jpg
T8ZEJ9Ah.jpg
lXnzT4Zh.jpg
gVuihRdh.jpg

• Like 10

Cheers guys for the nice comments.

Firstly started by splitting another component in half to aid in fitting and painting. I thinned out the walls on it as you can see one done in the picture and the other side not. I then modified the other section of it fitted it then put in a wall that should be there and the supports. I then made a couple of vents and then added the wiring and some light fittings(little white blocks on the walls). Also in various places I have put replacement boxes (see by the white styrene). 
 Now I have started added the MK1 portholes. I have some WEM ones but are not as goo so will use the for the Portholes with no Cover. I've ordered some more MK1's as there isn't enough in one set.

Thanks Chris

P4ObjSlh.jpg
yBpKBcQh.jpg
5rR58v4h.jpg
r1PaesGh.jpg
wPrXnE3h.jpg
cLms8pwh.jpg
tylzsUUh.jpg
c5bP9mUh.jpg
Y316xYRh.jpg
L7lWDbYh.jpg
k06Jrtih.jpg
h1a5Tw0h.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for looking in.

I have nearly done one side of this module, I've added all the portholes some more doors and some extra detail not included. I've added some of the boat racking as well. The instructions show three on this side but the plans only have two so two it is. 

Chris

IhJOU8kh.jpg
M7KmGWwh.jpg
jM5O3TYh.jpg
JpFPr9Th.jpg
v8pg7Trh.jpg
8OJXzX1h.jpg
Kvqy7kFh.jpg

• Like 12