Blenheim 1f - 1/72 - So near, yet so far!

Well, I can't say I wasn't warned. The decals I'm using for the code letters, from the FCM 'Battle of Britain' set, are truly horrible - very thick and rather cloudy in appearance, and I really don't think any amount of setting solution is going to make them work well. I've taken the decision to remove them, and will order some generic code letter decals from Hannants. Unfortunately, that will almost certainly mean I won't finish in time for the end of the GB - shame, I was hoping to just make it!

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Sad 6

Decals that poor are a crying shame. Just when you think you are finished, they stab you in the back!!!

Note to self: forget about FCM decals!!!!!

You'll get it right!

Well done on a tricky build.

JR

That is a shame mate, those transfers really are pony. Still, if you've successfully removed them it does at least give you a chance to finish it, if not in time for the group build deadline. Hard luck, for sure, as it was looking really good :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks for the support, folks - that's one of the things I really like about this forum, everyone is so encouraging! I put an order in to Hannants straight away yesterday, and they're normally pretty quick with decals, so we'll see. I'll keep on with the other bits and bobs that need finishing off.

• Like 2

• djktrumpet changed the title to Blenheim 1f - 1/72 - So near, yet so far!

Well, since being derailed by dodgy decals, I've moved forward what I can, but sadly I've run out of time on the Blenheim. However, here's a pic of how it looks now, and I'll post some images elsewhere in the forum when it's finished.

spacer.png

The canopy framing is pretty much done - I've used strips of decal paper sprayed up with interior green then dark earth, the first time I've tried this technique. Waiting for my replacement decals for the code letters and numbers, then it will have a bit of weathering, followed by final assembly. It's been fun building such an old kit, and trying to update it a bit, and I've learned a lot, I think. Thanks to the organisers for this GB, it's been a huge amount of fun, and as always I've loved seeing all the beautiful models produced for it. Here's to the next one!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Although I've missed the gallery, I thought I'd share some pics here of my finished Blenheim. Not too much more to say - the turret gun is a nice little brass miniature from Mini World via Hannants, and the landing lights are made from pieces of wine bottle foil, dished with the end of a paintbrush and the holes in a punch and die set, glazed with sellotape (let's see how long that stays in place!). I can't claim credit for the latter method; it was outlined on one of the IPMS websites. It's actually worked quite well, any failings are down to me. Main colours are White Ensign Colourcoats (now Sovereign Hobbies, but mine are old and were sourced from WEM). Markings from Xtradecal sheets. Resin main wheels by Barracuda. Aerials rigged with invisible mending thread. Thanks again for this GB - most enjoyable, and a fine way to remember the Battle 80 years on.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2