Blenheim 1f - 1/72 - So near, yet so far!

Hi all, I'd like to join this GB with a 1/72 Bristol Blenheim 1f. It's the Revell kit, which I believe was originally produced by Frog in 1969 - I built a few Frog kits back in my youth, but not this one, I think! It's a project I intended to do years ago but never got around to, with an Airwaves etch set to tart it up a bit and decals from an FCM set, depicting an aircraft from 25 Squadron in September 1940.

spacer.png

Cheers,

David

• Like 15

Something to look out for if you haven't used that FCM decal sheet before: the decals silver quite badly*.I believe that the earlier FCM decals were notorious for it. Make sure you have a very glossy surface to apply them to and probably best to invest in some Ultimate Products Extra Strong decal solvent to make sure.

* by "quite badly" I mean the worst I have ever encountered!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Cheers and good luck,

Mark.

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Ooh! Look forward to this.

If it’s any use, I’ve got a vac-form canopy set for this kit going begging. I’m happy to pass it on if you want it.

Heather, thanks, that's very helpful, and I'm definitely interested. I'll send a PM.

49 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Something to look out for if you haven't used that FCM decal sheet before: the decals silver quite badly*.I believe that the earlier FCM decals were notorious for it. Make sure you have a very glossy surface to apply them to and probably best to invest in some Ultimate Products Extra Strong decal solvent to make sure.

* by "quite badly" I mean the worst I have ever encountered!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but forewarned is forearmed and all that.

Cheers and good luck,

Mark.

Thanks for this, Mark. I did use some of the decals from that sheet on a Bf109 ages ago, and they didn't seem too bad at the time, but looking at the model again now, there is a bit of silvering.I'll keep it in mind!

• Like 1

So in a break from tradition, I've started work on - the wings. After some thought about how to box in the wheel wells, I've gone for a bit of plastic origami and made some inserts which, whilst not wholly accurate, will at least close in the gaping hole and give a bit of the right sort of flavour should anyone try and look inside!

spacer.pngspacer.png

I've painted them interior green and 'dirtied them up' a bit with an oil wash before fixing them in place. Next up, wingtip lights and the big landing light on the port wing.

• Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David,

I just realized that I do have the original Frog kit of the Blenheim Mk I. Terrible plastic color, but nice surface.

So yes, I am going to follow your journey... Just in case I decide to pull the old girl out of the stash!

Well done so far.

JR.

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress on this, but I have made some headway on the wings. I've added the wingtip navigation lights from bits of coloured plastic cocktail stick, and made the basis for the landing lights, which will be finished off with reflectors and glazing later on. I've also sanded off the raised panel lines and scribed new ones, filled and re-drilled the gun port and filled what seems to be a spurious hole in the leading edge of the starboard wing - I'm a bit new to this type of work, so it's all somewhat experimental!

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hi,

experimental is good! You actually seem to know what you are doing, as everything is quite smashing.

I have the Frog boxing of this kit, and I have decided to build it rather than buy the new-ish Airfix box.

Looking at what you have done, this Blenheim has a lot of potential.

Well done!

JR

I’ve built all the 1/72 Blenheims and I have to say I enjoyed building the FROG one the most. I like your  boxing in of the undercarriage - I’m looking forward to the rest of the build!

Regards,

Adrian

edit/ps If you can source some larger wheels that would help because they are a bit small. I did mine on skis, so I dodged that problem!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Need to get this one moving again - I've been seduced by the ease of my Tamiya build elsewhere in this GB. Some progress on the Airwaves etch for the cockpit - very fiddly, I knew there was a reason I stopped building in 1/72!

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got the cockpit installed and the fuselage sealed up:

YKtWDDU.jpg

Mostly the Airwaves set - I botched the PE throttle controls so bodged a replacement from plastic card, and also made the shelf behind the pilot's seat for the parachute stowage. I've also made a folded-up parachute from tissue paper and white glue, although I took the photo before installing that! I decided to go with the kit canopy - although it's a bit thick, it fits much better than the vacform replacement which I just couldn't get to work at all (sorry, @Heather Kay!). However, I have run into a problem in that even the kit canopy doesn't fit that well, and there's a noticeable step on the starboard side under the glazing. I tried blocking the fuselage out with plastic card, but that hasn't really solved it, so I'm afraid it's out with the filler, and just hope I can polish up the canopy again after everything's sanded down! Ho hum.

spacer.png

I have got the wings on, though! 🙂

• Like 5

She's looking a bit sorry for herself, but hopefully will cheer up a bit once the canopy is polished. At least it will be a bit thinner! This is all a bit scary for me as I haven't tried doing anything quite like this before. I suspect I'll end up with some dust inside the cockpit now, but I'll just have to put that down to experience.

spacer.png

Edited by djktrumpet
Added photo
  • Like 2

While the filler's setting hard, I've done some work on the nacelles, given that the kit parts are a bit crude.

spacer.png

I've cut away the cowl flaps and exhaust tubes - here are the new exhausts, from plastic rod, going into place - they still need a bit of tidying up. I'm planning to re-do the cowl flaps with pieces of plastic strip.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Cowlings going on - because I've chopped off the cowl flaps, the attachment of these is a mixture of hope and epoxy, with some added struts between the back of the engines and the blanking pieces in the nacelles. On the plus side, the canopy hasn't polished up too badly. I did end up with some dust on the inside, but I've managed to clear the worst of it by introducing a few drops of water containing a tiny amount of washing up liquid (so as not to froth), sloshing it around inside and allowing it to drain/dry out. The end is beginning to be in sight, although I'm doubtful of finishing in time for the GB finish date. We'll see.

spacer.png

• Like 4

And here with my attempt at adding back the cowl flaps. OK if you don't look too closely! On balance I'm not really sure it was worth the effort of replacing the ones moulded onto the kit parts, but it's been an interesting experiment, and it's always good to to challenge one's basic modelling skills,

spacer.png

• Like 5