RAF Catalina wing roundel size

Vingtor

Do anybody know the actual size for the WW2 type B wing roundels? From photos and drawings I have estimated it would be somewhere near 100 inches (or possibly 96). But the exact size would be great to know.

Nils

Edited by Vingtor
Spelling...

On 13/07/2020 at 09:03, Vingtor said:

Do anybody know the actual size for the WW2 type B wing roundels? From photos and drawings I have estimated it would be somewhere near 100 inches (or possibly 96). But the exact size would be great to know.

Nils

On 13/07/2020 at 11:47, Sydhuey said:

From what I have found , 84 to 108 " seem to be the range with 102 - 108 being the most common reference.

In answer to Nils question and also to agree with Sydhuey's figures, the following was published by the late Dick Ward on his Modeldecal sheet 102, (British Roundels 1938-1947 Large Types A and A1) and sheet 103, (British Roundels 1938 - 1947 Large Types B, C & C1 ) :-

spacer.png

I'll now post this photo of three "Cats" of 333Sqdn Royal Norwegian Air Force based at Woodhaven, just up the road from me and near Dundee, flying over St Andrews with St Rules Tower bottom left and in what appears to me to be in at least two maybe three different camo schemes.  The occasion and date is not known but possibly reflects the Units move to Iceland or even the end of hostilities.  I'd say that the mainplane roundels on these aircraft at least were 84 inches. :-

spacer.png 

HTH

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks to both Sydhuey and Dennis for your replies. I must say that Dennis' photo is of great interest, since it is No. 333 Squadron's Catalinas that I am researching for scale drawings, and especially W8424, which is leading the formation (coded B here, formerly QL-R). I have some poor quality photos from the same flight, which are dated 24 July 1943.

I have estimated the diameter to 96" by drawing presumably the same size on a 1/72 plan view. However, this might not be entirely accurate.

It is interesting to see the difference in colour schemes. My theory is that W8424 recently has been repainted, while the other two still have their original colours, possibly American Du Pont paint. There are some differences in demarcations from earlier photos of the same aircraft.

Nils

On 15/07/2020 at 16:56, Vingtor said:

I have estimated the diameter to 96" by drawing presumably the same size on a 1/72 plan view. However, this might not be entirely accurate.

It is interesting to see the difference in colour schemes. My theory is that W8424 recently has been repainted, while the other two still have their original colours, possibly American Du Pont paint. There are some differences in demarcations from earlier photos of the same aircraft.

Nils

Re the roundel diameter.  I measured mine based on a plan view of a Danish Cat that appeared in an old Airfix magazine many moons ago (1969 I think).

I agree that W8424 was repainted at some stage.  I also have photos of the aircraft (possibly W8424) fitted with one torpedo under the stb wing.  Attaching the few photos that I have collected over the years.  I have not dated them as yet.  You may have seen these before Nils @Vingtor but I'll put them up just for general interest.  I have plans to build a Cat of 333Sqdn at some time but its early days as yet in my research.  Reading between the lines - are you planning on a set of decals for the Cats by any chance. ?

spacer.png

The caption for this shot states :-

"Vingtor   Catalina  from 333 Squadron takes off from the base in Woodhaven  1942 ."

The location is identified as Newport-on-Tay by the Kirk on shore.  The aircraft is heading east towards the Tay rail bridge.

The buildings to the right of the kirk are long gone and replaced by bespoke riverside apartments.

spacer.png

Caption reads :-

"333 Sq Catalina "Vingtor" moored in Pack ice"

Possibly Iceland although I believe that they also operated out of Sullom Voe.  

spacer.png

"333 Sq Catalina moored in Pack ice"

I had to lighten this shot considerabley to read the serial.  I am not saying that it was taken at the same time as the "Vingtor"one above but.......

In both photos, the aircraft appears to be in just one colour

spacer.png

"The Norwegian Catalina plane  Viking  333Sq Woodhaven 

Couple of comments.  Firstly. looking at the division between the colours on the nose gives me the impression that the aircraft

has been hand painted and secondly, the name 'Viking' appears behind the Norwegian flag on this aircraft but the name 'Vingtor'

appears in front in the shot above.

spacer.png

"The Norwegian Catalina plane  Viking  333Sq"

'Viking' apparently on engine runs at Woodhaven.  Note the shadows lower right on the aircraft

of what appear to be ASV aerials and the "protective" metal band that curves out from the fuselage seemingly protecting them, the reason for which is

illustrated by the "dinks" in the fwd chine that the mooring rope is attached to. Further ASV aerials appear to be mounted under the Stbd wing. 

I have no idea as to the function of what looks like the chimney of a wood burning stove jutting out of the fuselage next to the front turret !. 

spacer.png

Although the caption states :-

"A torpedo mounted on one of the 333 Squadron Catalina aircraft"

It was only later in the sequence that I found close ups of the installation - which I will put up later.

The aircraft is on the small slip at Woodhaven.

spacer.png

Nearly eighty years separates the two photos of 333Sqdn's base at Woodhaven.  The mono recce photo is dated June 1st 1943 and was taken 540Sqdn.  I have reversed the "Google Maps" photo to make sense.

There is a possibility that the Cat on the small slip is W8424.  Apart from a couple of fields turned into a building plot very little has changed.  The large building behind the base is now a car park and the Sqdn HQ and workshops is now run by the very attractive "Wormit Boating Club".

I have forwarded a copy of the recce photo to my eldest Grandson, who is taking his flying lessons from Dundee Airport prior to

starting his Degree in October and asked if he could take a similar shot.  

Hope you all found this of interest, quite amazing what you find in this quiet corner of Scotland.

Regards

Dennis

• Like 3

6 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

I have no idea as to the function of what looks like the chimney of a wood burning stove jutting out of the fuselage next to the front turret !. 

It's a Mooring Bollard, you can see it in use in the Photo link (Pete Mossong's site) below.

RNZAF Catalina with rope on Mooring Bollard

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, LDSModeller said:

It's a Mooring Bollard, you can see it in use in the Photo link (Pete Mossong's site) below.

RNZAF Catalina with rope on Mooring Bollard

Regards

Alan

The official name was a snubbing post..some diagrams from the PBY-5 and -5A E&M manual follow:

7oi9D6P.jpg

67N1ETi.jpg

Hope they help.

Cheers,

Pete M.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Pete M. said:

The official name was a snubbing post..some diagrams from the PBY-5 and -5A E&M manual follow:

Hope they help.

Cheers,

Pete M.

They most certainly do and I've learnt something new today

Many thanks

Dennis

Thanks for the photos from Woodhaven, Dennis. Some I have seen before, some I have not. Looking at the photos of "Viking", It seems to have a painted over American white star on blue disk insignia on the nose. Or is it just dirt that appear in the same pattern....?

I visited Woodhaven some 12 years ago, on a summer vacation with my sons. Very interesting to see and be at this place that I had only seen photos from.

Re decals, I did make a sheet many years ago in the "old series"https://modellnorge.no/index.php/nyheter-mainmenu-2/dekaler/189-catalina-mki-a-mkiv-dekaler-fra-vingtor-decals. Sold out long time ago, though i might find some leftovers if I start looking in my drawers.

Nils