From the Biggest to the Smallest XF-85 Goblin

After finishing one he the biggest if not the biggest model I'll ever do comes the smallest, Special Hobby's 1/48 XF-85 Goblin.

50105157108_9aa4c2e212_c.jpg

50105157218_254c81b567_c.jpg

Your typical limited run kit. A mixture of resin and plastic(with a lot of flash and I don't mean snazzy) So let's begin shall we?

• Like 9

Oh yes, please! I like these parasite fighter concepts, even though they proved unsucessful in the end. Wouldn't it be nice to build the EB-29 with it's trapeze too and hang the whole combination from the ceiling?

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

The resin is pretty good for once. No short shots. Same as the plastic, but there is some flash to trim.

50105157193_4042084971_c.jpg

It won't be totally out of the box because SH always has you make parts they didn't want to.

50105157183_a475a42836_c.jpg

No locator pins so a little bit of plastic to keep everything even. And to secure bits that have no place to hang.

50105157128_c452ff31b6_c.jpg

OK, first issue. A bit of a gap at the intake not at the top thats supposed to be there,but around the circumference. Card won't fix this. It's Milliput time.

50105964437_6794a0e167_c.jpg

A little bit around the edge and once this sets I'll sand down nice and smooth. While the intake is drying, I'll fix up the transport cart.

The nice thing about the Goblin is it has no wheels just a skid if it needed to land. Originally designed as part of the FICON(Fighter CONveyer) system for the B-36 later the RB-36. Carried in the rear Bomb bay first idea was for additional defense over enemy territory.

One look at this bug and you know that's not going to fly, pun intended. so then the military types in their infinite wisdom of the fifties said. I know how to use this! make it a recon ship. Fly on ahead scout around see if anyone's about and come back to momma. Small enough nobody's gonna see it and if they did they would laugh themselves silly that anyone would be insane enough to fly one of these things. As it was the initial testing was done launching from a B-29. Launching was a resounding success. Recovery..... welll not so much. Extereme buffeting from the mothership made it impossible to attach to the great big hook and trapeze system. First time the Goblin was thrown into the trapeze shattering the canopy and knocking the pilots helmet off. Forcing the pilot to emergency land. Second time didn't even get that far. 7 flights with only 3 successful hookups total air test time about 10 hours. to launches, no recoveries, the Goblin Cancelled. It didn't kill the FICON Program though later tests were done with a modified F-84F. Some how I thing the designers went to work for Hasagawa and designed their Egg Planes.

Anyways, the trolley for this little bird. I didn't like the Resin parts that came with the kit. Some damage from age so I built a new trolley in 3D and printed a new frame. The other parts I kept as they were in good condition.

50105157168_fe36b1b9f0_c.jpg

50105964287_d23cd865d4_c.jpg

So there we are for right now. I'll let the intake set over night and sand it down in the morning. I'm still debating on whether to use foil or Alcad II for the exterior surface. Until later. If you have any comments, suggestions or ideas, let me know.

• Like 6

Just a small  update(no comments from the naughty corner) After getting the gaps filled and sanded on the intake I discovered that the compressor assembly was off centre and since there wasn't much detail I took out the front piece and made my own assembly

50109484792_1483fb1838_c.jpg

50109245251_0e02829578_c.jpg

This will be  much easier to align properly than prying apart the fuselage and  trying to straighten it that way. And adds a little bit of detail in the process. No snickering I hear you.

50108675453_a2dba1d641_c.jpg

All nice and trimmed and even.

As typical with Special Hobby, in addition to no alignment pins, no slots to hold the wings in place. So took my pin vise and drilled out small holes in both the fuselage and wing and cut small pieces of wire brads to attach with.

50109245266_575156cafb_c.jpg

Attached with a little bit of filler at the wing root. Much less than I expected.

50108675478_e7990d7d75_c.jpg

And drilled for the tail pieces. I'll attach those after surfacing the fuselage and wings. The panel lines are very fine and need re-scribed and the plastic polished before finishing.Since the actual aircraft was highly polished and shiney I'l going with Ultra bright chrome foil.  Lets see how well I can  cover a compound curve .

50109484712_0eda14d3c6_c.jpg

Dad says if I eat all my vegetables and sprinkle water on myself  occasionally I'll grow up to be a Sabre jet!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I like it! A lot!

Me too! I fact I am struggling to avoid rushing off to evil bay to try get one.

Wavering of Mars 👽

• Thanks 1