Fire aboard USS Bonhomme Richard

bentwaters81tfw

15 hours ago, Richard E said:

Asking the question as a layman: would there have been a similar level of damage had a similar fire started whilst the ship was underway and had a full complement aboard ?

Well that depends ...probably not ....the ship was in refit and from what I gather there was building detritus all over the shop and every hatch you can think of open....be interesting to see how many rules were broken even for a ship in refit .

I remember the avcat pump fire mid atlantic in OCEAN ....commissioning trip as well......made a bit of a mess ....obviously being embarked forces...spent it on top of a tractor in the fwd hangar....asleep mainly.However whilst at sea certain conditions have to be met regarding hstches and watertight doors and compartments ....if you deviate then the SCC ships control centre need to know and can control it ...In summary prob not but then roll a double six or snakes eyes (double one) and who knows.

Took about 5 years to replace those avcat pumps....used the standby ones in the meantime....added nause of defence budgets 

..https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/07/22/the-us-navys-top-officer-reveals-grim-details-of-the-damage-to-bonhomme-richard/

This is interesting btw 

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58021390

Member of the crew has been charged with Arson!

The US Navy has not reported the name of the person charged at this time however. BBC report also states that due to that damage incurred in the blaze, USS Bonhomme Richard was taken to be decommissioned and scrapped!

After formal decommissioning on April 15th, the hull was towed out of San Diego on the 16th, minus the island and elevators on a long trip via the Panama Canal to Brownsville Texas arriving on June 2nd where it is currently being dismantled. 

• Like 1

Going to be paying that off for a while... Brings to mind a line from Hot Shots

You disobeyed a direct order and lost a $13 million fighter in the process. Topper Harley : Yes, I did. But I'm paying it off at ten bucks a week.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Haha 1