BEST 72ND SCALE BF 109E1/3/4?

fishplanebeer

Dear All,

My next project will be a BoB Bf/Me 109E but need some help please. I have the Tamiya E3 and the ICM E3 as well but not sure which would be the better and if either can also represent the E1 or E4 version?

In this scale the difference between an E3 and E4 would presumably be almost 'invisible' so it should come down to identifying a specific subject from research and applying the relevant decals?

As for the E1 my basic understanding is that this variant was armed with wing machine guns so lacking the under wing cannon bulges but could also have had the later cannon installed as well, plus the more heavily framed canopy possibly retro-fitted, so again a question of research and decals for a specific example I guess.

My knowledge of the Bf/Me109E is not minimal but neither is it exhaustive so I've always been somewhat confused by the differences seen when it comes to the canopy framing as I'd always assumed the early style was on the E1 and early E3's only and also that all E1's only had wing machine guns. However I have many photos which entirely contradict these assumptions, such as E4's with early style canopies and examples described as E1's but with guns (cannon) protruding from both wings.

Kind Regards

Colin.

By the way I forgot to mention the much newer  Airfix Bf/Me 109E4 which I do not have but from reviews I suspect has less delicate moulding of the smaller parts than the Tamiya and ICM kits which are both excellent? However it may still compare very well and be the best of the bunch possibly given the past review in Airfix mag of September 2012 of which I have a copy, or were they being a little biased here possibly?

Colin.

I'm sure this very question was asked in this forum only last month. Maybe try a search before relaunching the same question again, you won't get a definitive answer anyway as everyone has their own idea of what is the best kit but at least you'll find lots of various opinions and the occasional argument.

Duncan B

Many thanks and humble apologies for not viewing the previous thread which basically confirms that all, Tamiya/ICM/Airfix will be a sound basis for the kit.

Still confused about the canopy variants though and also whether a later E1 could have had cannon wing guns as all my sources on the Me/Bf 109E are vague here, namely Squadron/Signal, Augsburg Eagle, Harleyford Press, Mombeek and Janes, so down to a specific photo for my final choice and hope the photo caption is correct. From my experience many photo captions are not which adds further to my confusion on the subject.

Many thanks

Colin.

18 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Many thanks and humble apologies for not viewing the previous thread which basically confirms that all, Tamiya/ICM/Airfix will be a sound basis for the kit.

Still confused about the canopy variants though and also whether a later E1 could have had cannon wing guns as all my sources on the Me/Bf 109E are vague here, namely Squadron/Signal, Augsburg Eagle, Harleyford Press, Mombeek and Janes, so down to a specific photo for my final choice and hope the photo caption is correct. From my experience many photo captions are not which adds further to my confusion on the subject.

Many thanks

Colin.

The canopies were interchangeable so by the end of the BofB many earlier Emils would have been refitted with the E-4's canopy in the field or as they went through the maintenance system. At the same time earlier Emils would quite often be upgraded to E-4/7 standard but unless you had a specific Werk Number it would be very difficult to know whether the aircraft in question was formerly an E-1 or not. It's very difficult to tell an E-3 with the later canopy apart from an E-4 just from a photo (unless the Werk No. is visible) so I wouldn't be too hard on the publishers for getting the odd caption wrong. 

Duncan B

It seems that some E-1 wings were converted to take the cannon, as at least one is said to still exist in the UK, but that wouldn't make it a "late E-1".  Aircraft can be hybrids of the official marks, built as one and then brought up, at least partially, to the standard of later aircraft.  Depending upon the extent of the changes, they may not be officially recorded on or off the aircraft as being of the later variant.  At this stage of the game such changes were likely to be rare: E-1s were more likely to be passed down to the training units than updated, although spare wings could have been modified and then integrated into new production.

As far as modelling is concerned, an E-1 with cannon is an E-3, or with canopy change too an E-4.

• Like 1

I built the Airfix E with Extra decals scheme recently and loved it. Sure looks like a 109 E to me, plus I let the B of B Luftwaffe sheet take care of the references and accuracy. Picked up another for $6 at the weekend in the von Werra scheme. Small tho' and almost like building in 144.🤓

Just throwing this out here with the following caveat, tor various reasons, I am not an overwhelming fan of AZ model, but they are supposed to release a Bf.109E kit at some point.

It might prove to be a good kit or it may end up being nothing more than a modified copy of another manufacturer's product.  Time will tell.

5 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Just throwing this out here with the following caveat, tor various reasons, I am not an overwhelming fan of AZ model, but they are supposed to release a Bf.109E kit at some point.

It might prove to be a good kit or it may end up being nothing more than a modified copy of another manufacturer's product.  Time will tell.

Interesting, thanks for bringing that to our attention. I quite like the AZ kits despite their flaws. Since a 109E forces them to do a new nose, where the issues were before, hopefully they get it right.

Initial parts pictures here look quite promising and not like copes of other kits:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/new-az-model-messerschmitt-bf-109-e-3-to-e-7-t11301.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vlad said:

Since a 109E forces them to do a new nose, where the issues were before, hopefully they get it right.

Fingers crossed!  I hope so as well.

It was supposed to be released at the "beginning of summer", to be fair, they did not say which summer - 2020 or ?  ;)

Kidding aside, this World wide pandemic has been putting a big kink in all things modelling related.  Revell's Ju.88A-1 was due out in March, then May and finally hit the shelves a few weeks ago in the U.K.  It still has not reached the shores here in Canada or the U.S. as far as I know.

Edited by Wm Blecky