F/A-18E Super Hornet, VX-9 Vampires Navy Test Sqn, China Lake NAWS

Hi All,

Here's another completed build from the lockdown - the Revell 1/32 F/A-18E Super Hornet built (almost) out of the box for the In The Navy Groupbuild. Only the seat and GBU-38 bombs were aftermarket items, I added the HARMs from the Academy kit spares. Everything else, including the decals, came from Revell's monster kit.

tn_IMG_20200504_180839

The word on the street about this kit was overwhelmingly negative apart from a very nice in-prog build by @infofrog and a very fair RFI summary by @Habu12.

Most of the bad news was coming from another site (Big'N'Tall Aviation Subjects or something) but there's no shortage of criticism here on BM either. Despite the bad press I really wanted to add a big Super Bug to my modelling collection and approached the build with trepidation. So imagine my surprise when it turned out to be an enjoyable (if challenging) build, nothing like the kind of hideous self-flagellation it was touted to be. With a bit of TLC and patience, it took me two weeks to build and I couldn't be happier with the impressive result. Considering it cost me under £50, I'd recommend it to anyone with a bit of patience who enjoys a bit more modeller input for a more modest outlay.

tn_IMG_20200504_180919

The decals came from the kit and were excellent. The sheet alone would have set you back £15-20 had it been aftermarket.

tn_IMG_20200504_181010 tn_IMG_20200504_181033

The kit cockpit using decals for the panels over raised detail.

tn_IMG_20200504_181101

The seat was an unused spare from a Black Box set.

tn_IMG_20200505_114645 tn_IMG_20200505_114417

Here's the full build log in the In The Navy GB section:

It's certainly changed the way I look at poorly-reviewed kits - maybe the positive approach really does make the unbuildable buildable after all :lol:

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Alan

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

Very impressive Alan.  It`s big and beautiful.  Outstanding results given the poor reviews of the kit itself.  I need to implement that “positive approach” method that has paid you handsome rewards with this large scale Super Hornet, :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Very impressive Alan.  It`s big and beautiful.  Outstanding results given the poor reviews of the kit itself.  I need to implement that “positive approach” method that has paid you handsome rewards with this large scale Super Hornet, :goodjob:

Mike

Kind words, Mike, thanks very much 👍

I'm sure there's a lot to be said for appreciating whatever you're building and finding the positives as you go! Shame I didn't learn this earlier... 

Thanks again, 

Alan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Given your positive feedback on what many consider a dog of a kit, I'm now inclined to look seriously at the Revell 1/32 F/A-18F when it comes out. You've done an awesome job building the kit and your attitude and work are both a great inspiration. Many thanks!

• Like 1

Cracking big Superbug Alan, superb modelling once again!

9 hours ago, Alan P said:

I'm sure there's a lot to be said for appreciating whatever you're building and finding the positives as you go! 

Remember what it was like pre-internet days and the unbuildable kit keyboard warriors - when we just bought kits and built them? I think that positive approach was something we all had back then - most of the time!!   :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great result!!

Thank you Werner, much appreciated 👍

6 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Given your positive feedback on what many consider a dog of a kit, I'm now inclined to look seriously at the Revell 1/32 F/A-18F when it comes out. You've done an awesome job building the kit and your attitude and work are both a great inspiration. Many thanks!

Thank you very much for that, I'm also looking forward to the two-seater with hopefully a Luftwaffe option 😊

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Remember what it was like pre-internet days and the unbuildable kit keyboard warriors - when we just bought kits and built them? I think that positive approach was something we all had back then - most of the time!!   :)

Thank you very very much Keith, agree with that sentiment. The Internet has given the hobby a great deal but ignorance can be bliss! Certainly haven't been immune to the criticism in the past (look at my Kitty Hawk F-35B build) but happy to give credit where it's due and to remember the people who produce these attractive kits are actual people at the end of the day. 

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

What a beautiful looking Hornet :goodjob:.....

Thanks Vince, was a real bonus to have great decals included with the kit. 

1 hour ago, sammy da fish said:

Very impressive modelling and it only took you two weeks, that would be at least three times that for me. Well done there. 

Thanks very much Sammy, the benefits of the lockdown! Been back at work for almost two months now and the usual (slow) build rate has been resumed! 

Thanks once again everyone for your very welcome replies 👍

Alan 

Picked one up of evilbay a couple of weeks ago for the princely sum of £35 and after reading the reviews I was seriously thinking of putting it up for sale myself. After seeing your Hornet, I'm now going to build it myself. That is one good looking Hornet that you have built.

• Like 1

Alan, firstly what a lovely build and background comments. Not my scale but I appreciate your sentiment about modeller input. I love old or challenging new kits, they would never win any accolades but I'm happy. And I guess it's been said any times but as long as the modeller gets something personally out of building/displaying/researching that's the diversity of our hobby theres room for all and long may it continue. Thanks again for sharing your work.

• Thanks 1

Alan,

It's always good to read about the experiences of modellers (as opposed to kit assemblers) that have actually put a kit together - I no longer take any notice of the vast majority of reviews having built kits which 'were a dream' when they actually turned out to be quite the opposite (GWH MiG-29 anyone ?) or 'unbuildable' (the Tamiya 1:32 DH Mosquito, would you believe !). It's not a subject that interests me in that scale (I do have a 1:48 F/A-18F in the stash however) but you have done a great job with that kit and even if it was a challenge in parts - so what ? - that is what modelling is all about - a challenge. Given the overall price of this kit (when compared with some offerings from the Far East) I think it is value for money and certainly looks the part in that highly attractive colour scheme, which has been beautifully executed.

Well Done, Sir !  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billy54 said:

Great looking Super Hornet, love that scheme.

Cheers Billy, I'm really glad the decals worked out.

3 hours ago, Monty Python said:

Picked one up of evilbay a couple of weeks ago for the princely sum of £35 and after reading the reviews I was seriously thinking of putting it up for sale myself. After seeing your Hornet, I'm now going to build it myself. That is one good looking Hornet that you have built.

Really pleased to hear, it's tricky in places but give it a chance. My in-prog build highlights most of the bits that need close attention!

1 hour ago, IvanVasili said:

Beautiful Hornet, very well modelled :)

Thanks very much Ivan 👍

1 hour ago, flyingpiggy said:

Alan, firstly what a lovely build and background comments. Not my scale but I appreciate your sentiment about modeller input. I love old or challenging new kits, they would never win any accolades but I'm happy. And I guess it's been said any times but as long as the modeller gets something personally out of building/displaying/researching that's the diversity of our hobby theres room for all and long may it continue. Thanks again for sharing your work.

Thank you, really appreciate your comments and very glad you 'get it'. Hope you never run out of enthusiasm yourself!

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Alan,

It's always good to read about the experiences of modellers (as opposed to kit assemblers) that have actually put a kit together - I no longer take any notice of the vast majority of reviews having built kits which 'were a dream' when they actually turned out to be quite the opposite (GWH MiG-29 anyone ?) or 'unbuildable' (the Tamiya 1:32 DH Mosquito, would you believe !). It's not a subject that interests me in that scale (I do have a 1:48 F/A-18F in the stash however) but you have done a great job with that kit and even if it was a challenge in parts - so what ? - that is what modelling is all about - a challenge. Given the overall price of this kit (when compared with some offerings from the Far East) I think it is value for money and certainly looks the part in that highly attractive colour scheme, which has been beautifully executed.

Well Done, Sir !  

Thanks, really appreciate your observations, can't agree more. If it's something you want to build, give it a go and see what you end up with!

Many thanks once again to all who've commented :thumbsup2:

6 hours ago, Mike said:

But.. but, but it's unbuildable! :wicked: Lovely build as usual Al ;)

Thanks very much Mike 👍 simultaneously built while being unbuildable...Schrödinger's Kit?

😂😂😂

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

That's a whole lot of kit for less than £50 and I have been and continue to be blissfully unaware of any failings of the kit as your build looks excellent. 

Duncan B

Thanks very much indeed, Duncan. You're right about the kit value, there's a huge amount of plastic, nice instructions plus a brilliant (and massive) decal sheet. What's not to like :shrug:

• Like 1

I've never paid much attention to the "word on the street" or, negative reviews of any kind.

There's no substitute for actual hands on experience.

It took me about three weeks to build mine. I consider myself a modeller of fairly average skill.

Having laughed my way through many of the hysterical "reviews" and comments, especially on the Internet rant forum aka

ARC, I really had to get this kit for myself.

Sure, it was a fairly challenging build but, worth the effort. Especially at the price.

I don't recognise the kit described by the cyber warriors and Internet "experts" on the one I built.Perhaps my problem is that I prefer to just get on with the job instead of continually whining about it.

If I can build it and, Alan P can produce such a fine result then, surely anybody with a modicum of skill and patience can.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

It was a fairly challenging build but, worth the effort. Especially at the price.

I don't recognise the kit described by the cyber warriors and Internet "experts" on the one I built.

Exactly what I found, too 👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Exactly what I found, too 👍

I've just ordered another one! 😉😊

I don't believe in the concept of the "unbuildable" kit! 🤣

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Haha 1