Airfix Buffalo parts query

While sorting through a somewhat harsh stash reduction I came across the elderly Buffalo, part started in a bag. A couple of pieces are missing, however, parts 23 and 24 which form part of the engine cowling. They don't seem too hard to fabricate but would any kind soul have the correct measurements for their depth? Just so it looks mostly right from a distance.

I think the previous owner was aware of the main limitation with the Airfix Buffalo, which is a poorly shaped cowling.  The solution back in the day was to use the cowling off a Revell Buffalo and insert fillets into the front fuselage of the Airfix kit to match.  Since then the Matchbox Buffalo has appeared and disappeared: its cowling might be an alternative solution.   @jimmaasis the man on all things Buffalo and can give you chapter and verse.

Sorry if this is "if I was going there, I wouldn't start from here" type answer.

• Like 1

Well, Nanki-Poo, I will be honest, it has been a dog's age since I've had an Airfix Buffalo, and I really don't know what parts 23 and 24 are.  I tried Scalemates but they don't seem to have an instruction sheet for the Airfix (though they do for the older Revell).  If you can scan the sheet and email me at [email protected], I'll be better able to advise.  BTW, Seahawk's suggestion id the best idea, but I checked various evilBays and am shocked at the price being asked for old Revell kits.  

Ah. Okay.  Those are the left and right halves of the engine cowling itself, and without them it will be impossible to complete the cowling. And the model.  Somehow the image of a Norwegian Blue parrot just went by.

Since the cowling was indeed a very weak part of the Airfix kit, I'd search for a Revell cowling to substitute. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimmaas said:

BTW, Seahawk's suggestion id the best idea, but I checked various evilBays and am shocked at the price being asked for old Revell kits.  

After ebaying and wincing as well I think I'm going to go on with my original plan of fabricating the missing parts from plastic card. As long as it sits at the back of the shelf and I don't look too closely it'll likely pass muster. My wife just thinks the Buffalo looks cool so she'll be happy to have it there.

The Matchbox kit has a similar cowling as the Airfix kit, with two sides and a front piece. I thought I had the two Matchbox sides in the spares, but I can't find them. Sorry!

Chris