767 sqn Phantoms

binbrook87

Hi all. I'm just about to start a Fujimi F-4K 'Yellow Bird' and wanted to model it with the extended nosewheel, but I've only seen one photo of the squadron in this configuration and that was an airframe on static display at one of Yeoviltons Air Days (although i can't find it now!) Did 767 ever use this configuration for shore based carrier training or was it left until they went on deck with 892?

Thanks in advance

Edited by binbrook87

I can't conceive of the extra extendable function being used for any land based launches/take-offs because of the somewhat limited forward vision for the pilot, at least on a carrier the catapult shuttle takes care of directional control! I know it was used for land based launch/take-off during testing but, I'm pretty sure it was never used by any of the regular squadrons...

-Daz

• Thanks 1

The only shore base would have been RAE Bedford ,which had a raised simulated Ark Royal deck with steam catapult launch system & arrestor wires . It was used by the FAA for training early Phantom pilots.

• Thanks 1

I have seen a fleeting mention of a 767 jet (in my mind XT572) going tech aboard Ark Royal.

Not been able to find it since, but someone here might know more.

Also, the Phantom From the Cockpit book mentions that XT868 of 767 NAS was flown out to the Ark after one of the 892 jets was lost. If it was hasty perhaps it wasn't repainted?

Wikis' article on 892 NAS makes a quick  and vague reference to 767 NAS jets being used for deck training.

Just looking for possibilities for modelling a 767 Phantom in deck pose, but there might not be anything in it, squadrons records would be the best bet.

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Hi all. I'm just about to start a Fujimi F-4K 'Yellow Bird' and wanted to model it with the extended nosewheel, but I've only seen one photo of the squadron in this configuration and that was an airframe on static display at one of Yeoviltons Air Days (although i can't find it now!) Did 767 ever use this configuration for shore based carrier training or was it left until they went on deck with 892?

Thanks in advance

Might have been from 700P sqn sometime between 30/4/68 & 31/3/69. See here.

https://www.phantomf4k.org/image-gallery/700p-squadron

Another option would be one of the Boscombe Down Trials Aircraft, XT857 & XT865, that performed the trials on Eagle for 2 weeks from 2 June 1969.

https://www.phantomf4k.org/image-gallery/boscombe-down-initial-deck-trials

To reinforce 71chally's comments, Warpaint 31 on British Phantoms notes "Once HMS Ark Royal had been commissioned in 1970 following her refit, 767 Squadron crews were also able to carry out deck landing practice aboard whenever the ship's programme permitted." Otherwise they used RAE Bedford for practice catapult take-offs and arrested landings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, EwenS said:

Might have been from 700P sqn sometime between 30/4/68 & 31/3/69. See here.

https://www.phantomf4k.org/image-gallery/700p-squadron

There's definitely pictures of 767 (and NASU) jets posed with the noseleg extended aswel, understandable really to use the unique feature to stand out a bit from the crowd at air shows!  XT864 VL 151 was one of them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

Now you've given me an airframe serial I've refound the photograph now.....

Here's XT867.....

https://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p412807271/h24d96f22

Should that not be XT864?

There are a couple of pictures of 700P at Yeovilton displays in 1970 showing XT876 and in 1969 XV586 with the nose leg raised in the Airdoc book on British Phantoms 1933-1978 and also XT864, but none of them at sea.

The aforementioned XT868 on Ark Royal is getting more interesting (for me at least!).

According to the book it was flown to the Ark as a replacement for XV565 lost in June 71 and that it was operationally required while aboard, coinciding with BBC filming taking place. 

Looking at photographs XT868 was in 767 NAS colours as VL-153 from mid 1969 to at least March 1972 (767 disbanded Aug 72).  It was with 892 by early 1973

It sounds like it is possible that it could have operated from the Ark in 767 colours.  Oh for a picture!

Book here,

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ubXNDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT46&lpg=PT46&dq=Phantom+767+squadron+ark+royal&source=bl&ots=UOnHMBfc0p&sig=ACfU3U1_2dyVm5y3c5_K_sPfRJi7w1k4yA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilj9ecy8jqAhXBilwKHbMjDBg4ChDoATACegQIBxAB#v=onepage&q=Phantom 767 squadron ark royal&f=false

008 & 009 were the reserve aircraft for Ark Royals 892NAS not unown  for training flights to her in home waters ,I have a shot of PTF aircraft landing on while working up for final commission.

• Like 1