AFV Club 1/35 M60A2

G'Day All

Im usually an aircraft modeller, but I do have a few armour kits in the stash, so recently I thoughT i would break one out as I seemed to be struggling to get an aircraft finished.

Here is my completed AFV Club 1/35 M60A2, "starship" although I believe they were never referred to be this name whilst in service

I found the AFV Club kit, quite fussy, with just about all of the parts needing a fine mould seam removed, which, well, became tedious!

Anyway, here she is.  I added a brass barrel to the M85, the antenna bases are also brass from Voyager, and the tracks were an aftermarket set from AFV Club also, although I dont think I will be using their separate tracks again.  They had ejector pin marks on each link.

Im not really happy with how the weathering came out as I think the mud tones are wrong, I was aiming more for a dark Europe mud tone, what Ive ended up with looks like my tank was in Vietnam!

Thanks for looking

Bruce

50103487942_41801c359b_b.jpg

50102679953_6744e544b6_b.jpg

50103487927_23e4d75932_b.jpg

50102679823_360705b61f_b.jpg

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

That is rather neat! I like it a lot. I always maintain that many aircraft modellers, make excellent AFV modellers too! I would say that though wouldn't I?

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Terry

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nathanrobert86 said:

Did you use pigments for the mud?

A combination of pigments and some mud-in-a-pot I had lying around

i think it was from a company called real scale. AK and ammo both offer similar products 

Great looking M60 Bruce. The weathering looks excellent to me. I get what you're saying about the red toned mud looking a bit like stock 'Vietnam' weathering, but I think those kind of tones are fairly generic and you'd find similar tones in lots of places including Europe. There's similar coloured earth in areas close to where I live and that's the middle of Derbyshire, which is about as far from Vietnam as you can get. Or you could say it was on an exchange trip to Ayers Rock 😀

Andy:cat:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Great job Bruce. I like the satin finish you achieved. Did you use any clear coat and which one or the paint you used had this type of finish?

Best,

Nenad

Hello Nenad

i used testers Dullcote , just two thin coats which left it with the sheen you see in the photos, the oil paints I used on the model for the streaking etc further altered the finish in the places they were used 

hope this helps, really love your Valentine, hope my next bit of armour turns out as well as yours

Bruce 

3 hours ago, Andy Moore said:

Great looking M60 Bruce. The weathering looks excellent to me. I get what you're saying about the red toned mud looking a bit like stock 'Vietnam' weathering, but I think those kind of tones are fairly generic and you'd find similar tones in lots of places including Europe. There's similar coloured earth in areas close to where I live and that's the middle of Derbyshire, which is about as far from Vietnam as you can get. Or you could say it was on an exchange trip to Ayers Rock 😀

Andy:cat:

Thanks Andy

love the dirt on an exchange trip idea. 😃

my first bit of armour, and I actually read a few of your WIPs and TMN build articles to help with ideas

i don’t have your skill yet, I’m afraid 

regards 

Bruce 

Excellent model and weathering is spot on. Vietnam would be a more red contrasting with the dark base tone that on some reference photo's of m48's seem to have a blueish tint. But doubters can read decals.  I have a soft spot for 70s and 80s American armour. I like it a lot.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...