Jump to content

How (NOT) to lift a Stirling


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Whilst for the most part I agree with you we must remember that there are total idiots out there in charge of things like this.

 

Please let me give you a recent example.

My son had customer who had a rare BMW car. Quite badly rusted away underneath and at the front bulkhead. The customer wanted my son's garage to totally restore/rebuild the car. It was possible. He's done that sort of job before.

So a car recovery company was contracted to load the car and bring it to son's garage. Because of the car being rusted away. the plan as agreed was to jack the car up slightly and put specially made pallets under it. Strap the car to them and lift the car on its pallets, by way of the pallets, onto a truck.

The initial car recovery company sub-contracted the work to another 'expert' company

That company's operative saw, 'a rusty old car' ignored the pallets and the owner's instructions and used a sling through the car windows. The windows wouldn't open so he broke them. Instead of using the sling for off loading the operative used the tilting bed of the truck to get the car off.  What my son got delivered was a rare BMW folded in half through the roof, all glass - irreplaceable - broken and the engine compartment section broken off.  In that state it was not rebuildable

(sub note afair it was a shark nose early Series 9 BMW)

Ouch.  I hope the company who did the damage made some sort of recompense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

 

I've been looking into this myself as I'm thoroughly fed up with the BBC. As long as you don't watch any live programs or BBC iPlayer, you can make a declaration to that effect on the TV Licensing website and cancel. We ditched our Sky box years ago, and only watch either Netflix, Prime or Youtube. I haven't watched terrestrial TV for years, so I don't have to pay for a license. All the info is out there, and it does seem they probably will still try to harass, but have no legal leg to stand on. May have to cancel mine then!

 

Steve

Apparently the BBC is losing around 5000 licence payers a week and, rankly, I'm not surprised.  Been thinking of doing this myself.  I hadn't watched our telly for about three months and then, about a week ago I flicked it on and all that was on the BBC were repeats!  In fact they were repeats of repeats.  If only they'd repeat the 1970s drama series Wings, which I was a big fan of as a boy.  No chance though but, happily, someone has posted it all on You Tube.  I was very glad to hear that the Be2 replica they used in it is flying again. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

as I said there are idiots out there. They do not go by the rules

A war grave crash in County Tyrone, well marked, with a cross. Farmer dug it out with a JCB, down to 15 feet. Bulldozed everything, including munitions and remains of the pilot into a ditch and covered it all with topsoil and peat. He wanted the use of that part of the field again so dug out the tainted soil. All was only discovered when a chap who annually puts a wreath there found out. No action taken against the farmer.

I know of a dozen more cases where the idiots were put in charge. A 'war grave' means nothing to them, nor does the possibility of munitions on site.

But I'll not argue my case.

Its pointless with some people.

 

That's appalling. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Apparently the BBC is losing around 5000 licence payers a week and, rankly, I'm not surprised.  Been thinking of doing this myself.  I hadn't watched our telly for about three months and then, about a week ago I flicked it on and all that was on the BBC were repeats! . . . 

off topic - I stopped TV licence and watching about 15 years ago. Never regretted it. No.1 son copied me about 4 years ago, says he doesn't miss it either.

 

36 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Ouch.  I hope the company who did the damage made some sort of recompense. 

Happened just in February. No knowledge of what has happened. Not No.1's business, between owner and trucker. But car had to be totally scrapped, by law regulations

 

14 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

That's appalling. 

There have been others here but the IWCC are ignorant of them and can do nothing about those they do know of

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite the stories, especially with human remains. Maybe fate will teach them a lesson. On a side note I also got rid of my tv cable, even the tv around 10-15 years ago. Don't miss it at all, I get a friend to record the odd show now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Meatbox 8,

 

The Wings series is available on DVD in a 7 disc set. code 132305. (I have a boxed set).  Available from the BBC. 

 

The Dutch recovery teams are expert and caring and they have been doing this kind of work since the war's end and they know exactly what they are doing. I'm sure that all will be well.  Even with a coffer dam a digger may be the only possible way as at times as simple spadework just isn't possible in such waterlogged conditions.

 

John

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Aero said:

Meatbox 8,

 

The Wings series is available on DVD in a 7 disc set. code 132305. (I have a boxed set).  Available from the BBC. 

 

The Dutch recovery teams are expert and caring and they have been doing this kind of work since the war's end and they know exactly what they are doing. I'm sure that all will be well.  Even with a coffer dam a digger may be the only possible way as at times as simple spadework just isn't possible in such waterlogged conditions.

 

John

As John says, they've been doing it for a long time, here's a documentary from the early 80s

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

as I said there are idiots out there. They do not go by the rules

A war grave crash in County Tyrone, well marked, with a cross. Farmer dug it out with a JCB, down to 15 feet. Bulldozed everything, including munitions and remains of the pilot into a ditch and covered it all with topsoil and peat. He wanted the use of that part of the field again so dug out the tainted soil. All was only discovered when a chap who annually puts a wreath there found out. No action taken against the farmer.

I know of a dozen more cases where the idiots were put in charge. A 'war grave' means nothing to them, nor does the possibility of munitions on site.

But I'll not argue my case.

Its pointless with some people.

 

Doesn`t surprise me with Co. Tyrone or NI these days, anything to do with the British military is worthless,..... like the veterans themselves,....... certain elements have weedled their way into everywhere,..... but I won`t say anymore. Such a shame as it is a minority.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, fightersweep said:

 

I've been looking into this myself as I'm thoroughly fed up with the BBC. As long as you don't watch any live programs or BBC iPlayer, you can make a declaration to that effect on the TV Licensing website and cancel. We ditched our Sky box years ago, and only watch either Netflix, Prime or Youtube. I haven't watched terrestrial TV for years, so I don't have to pay for a license. All the info is out there, and it does seem they probably will still try to harass, but have no legal leg to stand on. May have to cancel mine then!

 

Steve

Like you, I only watch Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube. I ditched my cable TV subscription as well because I didn't see the point of paying for 168 channels and constantly not being able to find anything I wanted to watch!

My monthly phone line rental internet/streaming services combined bill is now £44 a month instead of an average £110!!

Go figure! 🤣. I saved another £15 of course by dumping the TV licence!

Allan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, fightersweep said:

as I'm thoroughly fed up with the BBC

 

I know what you mean.

I spend most of the year in Japan and the quality of the better TV news is not so bad - but it is quite dry, slow (sometimes to the point of being turgid) and generally very careful not to offend. It's reasonably refreshing in that you don't get the 'hard hitting in-depth analysis' provided by most Western channels, it sticks mainly to the facts of a story without too many agendas creeping in.

I do get BBC and some US O/S services, but they can be annoying at times; they are sooo earnest in their reporting!

 

Being stuck in Australia, I find the local version of the BBC - the ABC (how original) - to be not quite as bad as the BBC, but just so focused on politics and 'hot topic' stories of protests, COVID, social justice issues (good and bad) that it makes me want to cry!

 

Edited by Blimpyboy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 12:54 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

 Don't expect the media to publish anything with a modicum of truth to it.

Kelvin McKenzie was one quoted as saying that when he was the editor of one of the red-tops (can't remember which one), it was h is job to sort the wheat from the chaff, and print the chaff.  Whatever sells.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 3:26 PM, Meatbox8 said:

Apparently the BBC is losing around 5000 licence payers a week and, rankly, I'm not surprised.  Been thinking of doing this myself.  I hadn't watched our telly for about three months and then, about a week ago I flicked it on and all that was on the BBC were repeats!  In fact they were repeats of repeats.  If only they'd repeat the 1970s drama series Wings, which I was a big fan of as a boy.  No chance though but, happily, someone has posted it all on You Tube.  I was very glad to hear that the Be2 replica they used in it is flying again. 

Actually it's  mostly repeats on all channels at the moment. Particulary on the channels that were always repeats. Nothing  new is being  made during the current  unpleasantness. It's not all bad as I've caught up on things I missed first time round. Off topic but some of the sixties TV series like the Avengers or the Saint look amazing on UHD televisions. Something impossible with those old fuzzy black and white CRT TVs. The makers did a great job on them.

 

As for the BBC, ignoring the news coverage. There is a lot to recommend it, particularly documentaries. It's fine to be critical of it but do you really want it to be another ITV? I'm  not a Brit so don't have a  dog in the fight. It's not just the BBC where over reliance on social media leads to  daft stories. All journalism has declined in standards. The celebrity  culture and the Twitterati. 

 

Agree about Wings too. Wonder what it would look like on HD TV?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another voter here for the excellence of the BBC,  (if a bit  nervously uncritical politically!).  There's only rarely anything on the other mainstream TV channels - and the BBC licence is so much cheaper than the paid-for TV channels.

 

I would also argue that, particularly in the media, I have not known a decade in my adult life that has been less critical of our armed services.  There is certainly much more positive reporting and follow-up support.  Particular comment can be made about charities such as Help For Heroes or sports organisations such as the Invicta Games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 3:26 PM, Meatbox8 said:

Apparently the BBC is losing around 5000 licence payers a week and, rankly, I'm not surprised.  Been thinking of doing this myself.  I hadn't watched our telly for about three months and then, about a week ago I flicked it on and all that was on the BBC were repeats!  In fact they were repeats of repeats.  If only they'd repeat the 1970s drama series Wings, which I was a big fan of as a boy.  No chance though but, happily, someone has posted it all on You Tube.  I was very glad to hear that the Be2 replica they used in it is flying again. 

Bit of a major flaw in your theory...the BBC made Wings and they still make great programmes lets leave politics programmes of that point but if everyone thought like you the BBC wouldnt make great programmes and therefore no equivalent Wings The BBC whilst not perfect make the best tv in the world across a whole range of topics.

My opinion...btw id pay the licence fee for BBC Radio 4 ...just my opinion by the way 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 1:01 PM, 593jones said:

Kelvin McKenzie was one quoted as saying that when he was the editor of one of the red-tops (can't remember which one), it was h is job to sort the wheat from the chaff, and print the chaff.  Whatever sells.

McKenzie edited The Sun.  He took over in 1981 after 'Larry' Lamb's second stint as editor.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much rather have the BBC than the likes of Fox or RT. Journalists only report what they get told, and for those smugly announcing they do not pay a licence fee any more, pity. The gut wrenching Panorama programme this week on the increase in domestic violence during lockdown justified this year's TV licence alone.

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

. . .  and for those smugly announcing they do not pay a licence fee any more, pity. The gut wrenching Panorama programme this week on the increase in domestic violence during lockdown justified this year's TV licence alone.

Pity not  for me and mine. My family are doers and not watchers.

I'm the only member of my family not qualified as a Social Councillor, 1 out of 6. My training lies in First Aid and other directions. The other family members are on 24 hour standby call for PSNI and Social Services and voluntary bodies. My No.1 son has been hospitalised twice with concussion and injured less seriously many times due to him stepping between an attacker and their victim. No.1 son is non-violent, he'll take all the blows but not give one back.

A television programme only touches the surface of these social cases, my family sees it up close and deals with it

 

PS. No.1 son never got any sleep between Monday morning and Thursday night last week. He was called out each evening and still had to go to his business each morning

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Pity not  for me and mine. My family are doers and not watchers.

I'm the only member of my family not qualified as a Social Councillor, 1 out of 6. My training lies in First Aid and other directions. The other family members are on 24 hour standby call for PSNI and Social Services and voluntary bodies. My No.1 son has been hospitalised twice with concussion and injured less seriously many times due to him stepping between an attacker and their victim. No.1 son is non-violent, he'll take all the blows but not give one back.

A television programme only touches the surface of these social cases, my family sees it up close and deals with it

 

PS. No.1 son never got any sleep between Monday morning and Thursday night last week. He was called out each evening and still had to go to his business each morning

Respect for you and your family ...however that wasnt the point the man from Truro was making ...generally the BBC is informative with out that we have a nation of zombies ...my opinion

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...