Merlins with Tropical filters

charlie_c67

Although Spitfire's and Hurricanes were (in)famously fitted with the Vokes tropical filter, I can't find anything about other Merlin powered aircraft receiving the same. Was this down to improvements in the normal filters or are there pictures of Mossies and Lancasters sporting a big chin on their engines?

Mosquitoes using the single stage Merlin were fitted with a dust filter, but it just looks like an extension of the normal carb intake

Aircraft using the two-stage Merlin didn't need the dust filter on the outside as it was fitted inside the intake for the supercharger

12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Mosquitoes using the single stage Merlin were fitted with a dust filter, but it just looks like an extension of the normal carb intake

Aircraft using the two-stage Merlin didn't need the dust filter on the outside as it was fitted inside the intake for the supercharger

That may be true for the Mosquito, though I doubt it, but for the Spitfire with the two-stage Merlin the filter was carried in a refined version known as the AeroVee (V for Vokes) which looks, as you say, just like an extension to the carburettor intake.  This was fitted to all Spitfires rather than just tropicalised ones.   I think that this was also true for all the Mosquitos except perhaps early ones.

The single stage Merlin Mosquitos had a subtle yet unmistakable extended carburettor intake - the T.III seemed to have it as standard and indeed two of the recent airworthy rebuilds have these intakes (Bob Jens' B.35 excepted as it's a two-stage example).

KA114 in the middle has the standard single stage Merlin carburettor intakes whereas TV959 at the back and PZ474 at the front both have the extended tropical types which (at least originally) contain(ed) the dust filters.

65031870_2696257123741037_83991815308779

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1