looks like a Moa model!

72modeler

Saw this during my weekly recce for interesting modeling references.  Stated to be the only surviving  example. Looks like something @Moa has already built or has a folder for! Neat-looking, though!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aeroposta-Argentina/Latecoere-Late-25/6065087/L?qsp=eJwljDEKw0AMBP%2BytSsHErguyQOSIh8Qd8I2OJGQVMQY/913djezC7Miyy/4H59FGQnOZHlEByWjryOt0FFCnhQ8iC1I/a2Di8WjMkqd7zmzBhec%2B8sKW7vY89EZWrdvyPY%2B7XKtWibXmY4KB00ztm0Hg8ou9Q%3D%3D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Saw this during my weekly recce for interesting modeling references.  Stated to be the only surviving  example. Looks like something @Moa has already built or has a folder for! Neat-looking, though!

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Aeroposta-Argentina/Latecoere-Late-25/6065087/L?qsp=eJwljDEKw0AMBP%2BytSsHErguyQOSIh8Qd8I2OJGQVMQY/913djezC7Miyy/4H59FGQnOZHlEByWjryOt0FFCnhQ8iC1I/a2Di8WjMkqd7zmzBhec%2B8sKW7vY89EZWrdvyPY%2B7XKtWibXmY4KB00ztm0Hg8ou9Q%3D%3D

I do indeed have a folder for it.

The museum restoration has a lot of merit, but I would compare it, if building a model, with era photos, as restorations are to be enjoyed and admired, but keeping a healthy skepticism regarding accuracy.

The adventures of "La Ligne" Aéropostale (Aeroposta) in Argentina are legendary, as well as its pilots, notably -and most known- Saint Exupery.

It's puzzling that Heller never released this iconic plane (as well as other important French planes).

The explanation is always the same: beauty, peace, adventure, romanticism, commerce, pioneering, discovery, experiments, etc., don't sell as well as the ever-present reminders of blood, suffering, death and, above all, racism.

Speaks volumes.

I did scratchbuild though another Latécoère, the LAT. 8 :

Ans built SBS's Latécoère 28:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It certainly is an unusual machine, he probably has built one.  Can't get over the size of the tail wheel it is tiny.  

Great find

All the best

Chris

As I wrote above, restorations...

The original has a tailskid.

(May be they added that to facilitate handling in the museum)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wowee Moa they look lovely, I especially like the 28 as it looks very attractive in that scheme. Fantastic work.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris

It must be told that the kit is very good to start with, but being the first kit SBS released, it certainly need correction of very visible mistakes, all pointed out in the WiP (the link is in the RFI).

Once the kinks are ironed (and they need to be), the kit is fantastic, so it's not really my merit.

The 28s also flew in Argentina.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moa said:

The explanations is always the same: beauty, peace, adventure, romanticism, commerce, pioneering, discovery, experiments, etc., don't sell as well as the ever-present reminders of blood, suffering, death and, above all, racism.

Speaks volumes.

What a crying shame that is! In other words, if it's NOBLE, it's of no relevance in the modern world. 

8 hours ago, Moa said:

The explanations is always the same: beauty, peace, adventure, romanticism, commerce, pioneering, discovery, experiments, etc., don't sell as well as the ever-present reminders of blood, suffering, death and, above all, racism.

Speaks volumes.

Whilst I agree to a degree, it is only to a degree.

It also has to hold some relevance to people. Let’s take the Bristol Type 138 ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Type_138 ) as an example.

Frog produced the kit originally in 1964, less than 30 years after the record breaking flights in 1936. It still held some significance to people.

Today, closing in on 90 years after the Type 138 flew, would there be knowledge of this aircraft and it achievements that would warrant a large manufacturer to devote time and money into development of a mould etc that would ever likely see a return?

WWI, WWII etc still have a (diminishing) place in the public consciousness, these are more likely to be recognisable.

These obscure, and in their own way no less historic, types are now left to the short run manufacturers  and talented modellers like you I’m afraid.

10 hours ago, Muddyf said:

These obscure, and in their own way no less historic, types are now left to the short run manufacturers  and talented modellers

A true statement, sadly, but I for one would love to see a new-tool Bristol 138- maybe CMR would be a possibility. I have two Frog kits and made a couple of vacform canopies, but stopped after cutting the entry door out of the fuselage; I had no references for what the exhausts, supercharger, and oil cooler looked like in that big chin fairing, but have since located some excellent detail photos, so I might just kick start the project. It's such a handsome airplane- sort of a 1930-ish prop driven U-2!

Mike

https://www.agefotostock.com/age/en/Stock-Images/Rights-Managed/MEV-10846339