1/35 Early Soviet space probes resin kits (Red Iron Models)

Hello,
This is my assembly of three 1/35 little resin + PE kits from the Russian company Red Iron Models : Sputnik 1, Luna 2 and Luna 3

JStQJb-Sputnik-Luna-01.jpg

Sputnik 1 is well known as the first artificial satellite ever launched on October 4th, 1957.

Luna 2, launched in 1959 was the first man made object to escape Earth gravity and impact on the Moon.

Luna 3, launched in 1959, was the first man made object to circle the Moon and take pictures of the Far Side.

First a kit presentation :

Sputnik 1 :

SStQJb-Sputnik-Luna-02.jpg

dTtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-03.jpg

Luna 2  (including a small part of Moon surface) :

mTtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-04.jpg

wTtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-05.jpg

2TtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-06.jpg

Luna 3 :

GTtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-07.jpg

GTtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-08.jpg

cUtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-09.jpg

PTtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-10.jpg

aUtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-11.jpg

gUtQJb-Sputnik-Luna-12.jpg

Let's go to the assembly:

Sputnik 1:

ErIRJb-Sputnik-1-01.jpg

gsIRJb-Sputnik-1-02.jpg

Luna 2 waiting for the paint job:

yrIRJb-Luna-2-01.jpg

Luna 3:

RrIRJb-Luna-3-01.jpg

Preparing the black undercoat before spraying Alclad2 metallic paint:

yRrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-14.jpg

ARrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-15.jpg

To paint the solar cells I used a Molotow marker filed with a mix of metallic blue and metallic black acrylic ink. Two coats for a convincing rendering:

RRrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-16.jpg

Base for Luna 2 with some Moon soil:

cSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-17.jpg

Sputnik 1 is now finished:

kSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-19.jpg

mSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-20.jpg

vSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-21.jpg

And here comes Luna 2. Funny, it looks like the Empire survey probes on planet Hoth in "Starwars V: the Empire Strikes Back":

wSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-22.jpg

7SrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-23.jpg

9SrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-24.jpg

JSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-25.jpg

mTrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-26.jpg

And Sputnik 3 with its surrounding solar panel which gives it an R2D2 look:

VSrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-27.jpg

eTrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-28.jpg

HQrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-29.jpg

OQrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-30.jpg

TQrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-31.jpg

The three probes together for relative size:

gRrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-33.jpg

PRrUJb-Sputnik-Luna-34.jpg

_Bruno

• Like 28

• 3 weeks later...

These are great! I've been wanting to get these kits myself and until I found your post I hadn't seen much "real world" description of them. Thanks for posting and you built them very well!

Did you order direct from Red Iron or get them some other way?

Yes I'm ordering direct from their website.

Due to the Covid crisis their shipment took 48h from Moscow to Roissy Airport in Paris... and then waited four weeks before departing to my home; Seems the packet lengthly toured the duty free shops here...

Two weeks ago I ordered their Sputnik 2, Sputnik 3 and Vostok with full interior.

https://redironshop.com/en/?id=filter&wpf=1&instock=1&pa_brand=red-iron-models-en&pa_scale=1-35-en&v=11aedd0e4327

_Bruno

• Like 2

Never heard of Red Iron but these look really good. I always think early Russian space technology resembles H G Wells style "Steam Punk"  - the sort of space technology Victorians might have designed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Never heard of Red Iron but these look really good. I always think early Russian space technology resembles H G Wells style "Steam Punk"  - the sort of space technology Victorians might have designed.

Especially their lunar lander!

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2020 at 5:01 PM, bgire said:

Yes I'm ordering direct from their website.

Due to the Covid crisis their shipment took 48h from Moscow to Roissy Airport in Paris... and then waited four weeks before departing to my home; Seems the packet lengthly toured the duty free shops here...

Two weeks ago I ordered their Sputnik 2, Sputnik 3 and Vostok with full interior.

https://redironshop.com/en/?id=filter&wpf=1&instock=1&pa_brand=red-iron-models-en&pa_scale=1-35-en&v=11aedd0e4327

_Bruno

thanks - i think i will order some but wait until I've finished moving house. I'm going to lose some decals that are stuck in Mexico for weeks...

was recently reading some 70's book on early space missions and the lovely illustrations did make me think these deserved to be modeled - looks like  Red Iron have done a really good job putting together these kits, and youve done an excellent job assembling and detailing. 

Will keep an eye on their stuff as i really would be tempted by a Lunokhod rover and a Venera probe.