Bf 109G-10 Erla wheel well colour

franky boy

Hi everyone 

As the title of the thread suggests I’m building Eduards 109 G-10 Erla. Eduard suggests black for the fabric which covers back of the wheel well. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I would have guessed rlm 02 but am happy to be proven wrong. 

Thanks 

James

Either RLM 02 or RLM 66, or plain tan canvas in a plain aluminium wheel well

Although RLM 66 was the cockpit colour from late 1940 / early 1941 other areas were still painted with the 02 primer/undercoat, as well as RLM 66. until near the end of the war and as paints became scarce some areas were left unpainted, eg front wheel wells on Messerschmitt 262s, inside of wheel wells on the He.162.

• Like 1

Hi James,

while I don't claim to be an expert I've been modelling Luftwaffe subjects for a while and have not come across an evidence that the wheel wells of the Bf 109 or Fw 190 where ever painted anything else than RLM02. The Erla Bf 109s where produced between Sept.44 - Jan.45 and for this time frame I would confidently go with RLM02.

It is correct that in the last months of the war RLM66 or even no paint was increasingly used too but it seems that mostly happened on the Me 262 and He 162. RLM66 was also increasingly used on all types on landing gear struts (new and refurbished ones). 

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi James,

while I don't claim to be an expert I've been modelling Luftwaffe subjects for a while and have not come across an evidence that the wheel wells of the Bf 109 or Fw 190 where ever painted anything else than RLM02. The Erla Bf 109s where produced between Sept.44 - Jan.45 and for this time frame I would confidently go with RLM02.

It is correct that in the last months of the war RLM66 or even no paint was increasingly used too but it seems that mostly happened on the Me 262 and He 162. RLM66 was also increasingly used on all types on landing gear struts (new and refurbished ones). 

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus

I was moving towards rlm 02 So that’s what it will be. 

James

1 hour ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi James,

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus

I was moving towards rlm 02 So that’s what it will be. 

James