Revell 1/72 Halifax B. MkII/series1, 138 Sqn. Operation Anthropoid

Here's my rendition of Revell's newer tool Halifax BI/II. Representing a series 1 aircraft, L9613 of 138 Sqn was used for Special Operations, parachuting agents and supplies behind enemy lines. On 28th of December an operation was mounted to drop 3 groups of para-troop's, one of which was 'Anthropoid', a group whose mission was to assassinate the Deputy Reich Protector of Bohemia and Moravia, Reinhard Heydrich.  The story of this is easily found on the 'net if you wish to find out the results.

The kit went together really well, the only problem I found at the end was the front turret would not fit it's hole!  I had to dismantle it and take off all the bottom structure and put the back, bottom with guns and the front, all in separately.  I used the AML update set which had the resin radiators, propellers, wheels, tail-wheel guards and intakes. Also decals for this aircraft and BB340 NF-D of the same squadron.

As I write this I have realised I haven't attached the PE base-plate and printed Crest below the port side cockpit canopy 🙄

Paints were my usual Airbrushed Vallejo ModelAir, the Black was 'Ultimate' Black Primer, gloss coat was 'Klear' with Winsor and Newton Galeria Matt varnish airbrushed on. I used the AML camouflage masks for the first time, not bad but are vinyl, so can lift on curves and hard to press into the panel lines resulting in bleed. Saved lots of time masking though.

The AML decals went on well, annoyingly I got a bit of silvering in places, worse on the serial codes, despite using my tried and trusted method apllying using 'Klear'.

Just restrained weathering, I'm always reluctant to go over the top. A dry-brush with Dark Slate Grey with a large brush over the black, and airbrushed the exhaust stains.

Davey.

DSC_0009 DSC_0010 DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0004 DSC_0007 DSC_0011 DSC_0012

• Like 54
  • Thanks 1

I don't know Halifaxes well, but always preferred this configuration among the various marks.

Your rendition is top-shelf indeed.  Very inspiring! 👏🤩

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

That is a well made and painted Halifax, the SOE version makes it much more interesting, well done sir.

I most certainly agree. It appears to me the Halifax is little remembered and that's a shame.

• Thanks 1

Nice job. While far from perfect the AML engines are a big improvement.

Here's a picture of the real one. Part of a display in the Prague Aviation Museum commemorating Operation Anthropoid. It's well worth a look.

50106800733_4b2204d2a6_k.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doccur said:

Lovely work! May I ask what your method for exhaust staining is please?

Ash

Hi Ash, I just use very low pressure for the airbrush, slightly thinned MIG Jimenez 'Rubber and Tires', code A.MIG-33. Just light strokes to build up how you wish. The paint is dark enough to look convincing on the upper colours but light enough to show up on the black under sides.

Cheers, Davey.

• Thanks 1