Mark's Workbench: Uncle Sam's finest! Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.IIb

33 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That's a wee belter.

Can I echo the sentiment about the chipping, it works brilliantly.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair! That's incredibly kind of you :)

I'm really pleased about the compliments it's getting :) as I mentioned, it's my first go at it.

Weathering will be done with Humbrol powders, which I'm a bit more familiar with, although I'm tempted to try a dot filter on the markings to tone them down a little bit.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice work Mark, looking splendid  :)

Especially the shark mouth.

I hate shark mouths…

Thanks, Ced, praise indeed :) I didn't find the shark mouth too bad to do, but had to cut off the black "whiskers" that are supposed to go under the radiator intake as they just weren't behaving! Easily added with a little black paint, though :) 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

I treated the decals to another dose of MicroSol, which seems to have helped settle them better into the panel lines.

It's had another coat of gloss clear to seal the decals, touching in paint next and then flat clear and weathering.

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 2

Employment and progress at the bench?  Congratulations, Mark!

Your P-40 is coming along nicely and I can't wait to see how weathering progresses.  I find the wing root scuffs and chips understated; that's a compliment in that they aren't overdone and a criticism in that I think you could reasonably go heavier, should you feel so daring.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Employment and progress at the bench?  Congratulations, Mark!

Your P-40 is coming along nicely and I can't wait to see how weathering progresses.  I find the wing root scuffs and chips understated; that's a compliment in that they aren't overdone and a criticism in that I think you could reasonably go heavier, should you feel so daring.  

Thanks, JD, yes life's pretty good right now :) 

Thanks for kind words re- the P-40 :) a few little bits and bobs notwithstanding, I'm quietly pleased with how its coming together at long last. Its a bit of a rite of passage, as (assuming it isn't overtaken once again by something else on my bench!) it'll be the first model aeroplane I've actually finished in almost forty years. Thank you for your comments about the chipping - I wanted the chips to be understated, and I think they're okay for low-wear areas, but I feel I could be a bit more daring with high-wear areas such as the post-side wing root, gun access panels and so on. I think the trick will be to keep it minimalistic! :) 

Cheers,

Mark

Still glossy, or in fact glossier! Just to show how well the decals have settled, and the thickness of the decals as well:

http://IMG-3726.jpg

http://IMG-3728.jpg

I'll let it harden for a couple of days before I touch up the paint and thinking about the weathering.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Now that's just plain purrty.

Good work with those decals.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, that's incredibly kind of you :) The decals went on fairly easily on the whole, although the fuselage codes/roundels had a bit of a tendency to "grab", so on balance I think I was probably quite lucky!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Alistair, that's incredibly kind of you :) The decals went on fairly easily on the whole, although the fuselage codes/roundels had a bit of a tendency to "grab", so on balance I think I was probably quite lucky!

Cheers,

Mark

I like lucky.

It's what gets me through most of my builds.

In fact, most of my work too.  😉

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I like lucky.

It's what gets me through most of my builds.

In fact, most of my work too.  😉

Cheers,

Alistair

Hmmmm.....me, too! :rofl2:

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Mark - looking very smart :) 

Thanks, Ced :) I'm edging towards the finish line with all the speed of continental drift! :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Somehow I missed catching up with this when I resurfaced. :(  It looks wonderful with the transfers on!  I find I rather like seeing a P-40 in the British desert scheme. Hmmm.... 🤔 No, no, no.... must do the ones I have in the stash! :D  Eye of Sauron and all of that....

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Somehow I missed catching up with this when I resurfaced. :(  It looks wonderful with the transfers on!  I find I rather like seeing a P-40 in the British desert scheme. Hmmm.... 🤔 No, no, no.... must do the ones I have in the stash! :D  Eye of Sauron and all of that....

Go on! Go on! You know you want to! ;) The Airfix kit is a delight, and a good basis for super-detailing.

I've actually been doing a few bits to this! It has its legs, and the feet are ready to go on, as is the prop/spinner.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2