Airfix 1:32 Jaguar E-type

Here it is, some fancy photos of my Airfix 1:32 Jaguar E-Type Open Two Seater.  I was going to build it as it came from the box but had to change the wheels and add a few extra details.  The colour scheme is inspired by Jaguar E-Type registration 77RW, which is the first OTS E-Type although this isn't quite an exact replica.

Added bits are:

Mitoos Classic treaded 20x6mm tyres and 16.5x6mm wire wheels supplied by Pendle Slot Racing (very happy with their customer service).

Nickel silver wire gear lever, hand brake lever, windscreen stay and windscreen wipers.  Plus a rear-view mirror from a bit of sprue and a whole lot of styrene sheet underneath to close off the under bonnet area and cabin.

Link to the WIP thread here.

This it the first build that I've both started and finished since joining the forum.  Enough chat, enjoy some photos.

y4mGCRSaD2kiXMjYrBTOulk4NP6GSJFtC6EB2E6J

y4mQmETg7Vp5PwuFuhagMcZ4pDgrMb4ycqI0sFy8

y4mhJbA4QiXFoRDprfqWo8jD6PZ_wT6nF5jjDKb6

y4moBfH_pTs6YPiZCSlAbd5VVNMZ064BXHxYZNsj

y4mZfu-4Cs3SiMzSnOSTKBeH44_61u7dloCUxrPG

y4mvDZe6rUxj7fPMju5HqncWyqHN5r7SNdIwFGyc

y4mj-8TKQ7Zu7eVZYPLHzRHwrChzReICLeSratrZ

The backdrop for some of the photos is a picture of the British Motor Museum Collections Centre taken from the builder's website and the car is sitting on a sheet of wet and dry paper as the roadway.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, FalklandsCraig said:

Very nice job John 👏

You working on some nice period plates to adorn her??? 

All your work has made it into a very good replica of the beautiful beast!!!! 

Thanks, I'd like to add number plates but I'm not sure how .

For a kit that is supposed to be so bad it's unbuildable you've done a brilliant job on that John - cracking build!

As to number plates, I thought Motobitz did some in 1/32, but the closest they do in silver on black is 1/35. I think I'd be tempted to use them as I wonder if the size difference could be noticed? And I think many e-types use stick on front plates on the bonnet. 

Motobitz plates;

https://motobitz.uk/general-decals.html

Keith

• Like 1

That turned out rather nice. Love the wheels, they make all the difference.

I saw a lovely D reg FHC E type in Boston yesterday morning.

It must be possible to print plates? Use photographic paper? Pale grey might look like silver?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

For a kit that is supposed to be so bad it's unbuildable you've done a brilliant job on that John - cracking build!

As to number plates, I thought Motobitz did some in 1/32, but the closest they do in silver on black is 1/35. I think I'd be tempted to use them as I wonder if the size difference could be noticed? And I think many e-types use stick on front plates on the bonnet. 

Motobitz plates;

https://motobitz.uk/general-decals.html

Keith

I think I could get away with 1:35 number plates, thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spiny said:

From what I've heard this is a pig of a kit, but you wouldn't think it looking at this. Well done.:yes:

It is a pig of a kit, one that needs a lot of cleaning and tidying to get the parts to fit.  I nearly lost one of the tail lamps to the carpet monster while trying to clean flash off the locating lug.  Thanks for the feedback.

Very nice work on a tough kit to get looking right.

Especially like the effort at a backdrop - so much better than a cluttered workbench.

It looks like my brow-beating is yielding results...............:whip:

• Like 2

Stunning job on this old and dodgy kit.  Love those wheels!

I have a few of these starter kits on the go (not this one) that I’m slowly building between bigger builds.  A few really good ones but there are some absolute shockers.  Might be starter kits but they are likely the one and only kit a lot of people will start.

But even the bad ones can be turned into something a little bit special with the skills, patience and right tools.  This is a great example!

• Thanks 1

Very nice model. Well done. Nice pictures too and I saw that Chas is particularly happy with them, because you took the effort to create a backdrop. That does make the pics more interesting, I would say.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback on my backdrop.  I printed that picture back at the start of lock down, in April (or was it March?), with the intention of using it as a photographic backdrop for some of my diecast models.  The building is the Collections Centre at the British Motor Museum, Gaydon, Warwickshire; in happier times I could be found volunteering there.

The picture itself is stolen from the website of a building company that did the ground work on the site, and bluetacked to a cardboard box.  At some point I may well try and build a half-relief backdrop, but it's amazing what you can achieve with access to an ordinary colour printer and some plain A4 paper.  It is also one of many ways in which this forum has been a positive influence on my modelling.

I've placed the Jaguar in one of my display cabinets, with the photo behind it and some wet and dry paper roadway/hard standing.  It's next to the Lego James Bond Aston Martin DB5, I dislike the clash of scale and style but it was the only space I could easily clear.

y4mIlRqriPHn5WMF6pWNIxTaT6qj068eL2DWgHhl

Having never seen the kit, I'm surprised at how well Airfix captured the basic body shape - there are some pretty strange interpretations out there.

And your improvements make for an outstanding model!

• Thanks 1

Brilliant result, I love the wire wheels, makes all the difference! For the number plates, I use cheap homemade waterside decal paper from Amazon, go on a number plate making website, type the plate you want up, copy and paste into word or something scale, print and apply! You can get clear or white paper, if you use clear you can paint the area silver and it appears like a metal plate!

Hope this helps,

Andy.

• Like 2