Heinkel He. 177A-5

Airfix 1/72 Heinkel He.177A-5 'Greif'

6N+HN of 5./KG 100

Here is another ceiling holding pattern nostalgia build from the 'Kit I built as a kid' Group Build, a kit originally released by Airfix in 1967 which I must have built around the mid 70s.  I have built it mainly out of the box with the exception of some scratched extra detail in the typical for the time spartan interior plus a couple of additional parts around the rest of the model.  All in all great fun to build and I really enjoyed having a go at mottling for the first time and creating my own masks for the markings (bar the '6N' and the tail marking), I had only a couple of dodgy reference photos and one profile to go on....yes I know never trust a profile! but for the purposes of this GB I was content enough to risk the wrath of the RLM posse.

The build thread can be found below:

50099763833_435e53fb53_b.jpg

50100568037_44078b168f_b.jpg

50099763653_63f7f72091_b.jpg

50100343306_baef696e81_b.jpg

50099763038_d7c60a5f85_b.jpg

50100567122_7a60b56101_b.jpg

50100342831_b0b0c4d47a_b.jpg

50100342691_d2ff7f575f_b.jpg

50100342611_c346847ce3_b.jpg

50099762513_cb2ed32dc8_b.jpg

50100566712_4c680592be_b.jpg

50100565972_4bd4f8cfb6_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always comments and observations are welcome.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 69

That kit's as old as me, and you've made it look like a brand new tooling. :yes:  Could you fix me up so I don't look so old? ;)

• Haha 1

More proof (were it needed) that all the old Airfix kits need is a sympathetic modeller and a decent paint job.  This one has found both - what a corker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I build the state of the art revell and make it look like a kit from 70s and you guys on this site do the reverse again and again! .  Amazing built no idea how you got the transparency’s so “clean” and well fitting.  Was it airfix blue plastic by memory? 

• Thanks 1

Lovely job, the paint is superb. I have the Revell kit and this inspires me to try a mottle finish (not knowing if there's anything but?!)

:goodjob:

Davey.

Outstanding work.  If not for the preamble I'd have thought it was the more recent (Revell, IIRC) kit.

Your build shows well what an unusual looking plane (to me at any rate) this was.

Very inspiring to see these old kits turned out so well by skilled hands.

👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the comment chaps, really glad that the Airfix kits are still able to make an impact.

11 hours ago, BristolBlue said:

So I build the state of the art revell and make it look like a kit from 70s and you guys on this site do the reverse again and again! .  Amazing built no idea how you got the transparency’s so “clean” and well fitting.  Was it airfix blue plastic by memory? 

Yes it was the famous baby blue plastic, the boxing I acquired was the 1986 release with the awful photo type box art.

Cheers,

Mark.

You proved that still this old kit can be build and great result can be achieved! Congrats for efforts, since taking modern Revell kit would be much easier way for sure.

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

The moral of the story is, with care, attention and skill, these older mouldings can be made into very decent replicas. I think the key is in the painting (and maybe improvement to surface details, like panel lines or rivets).

It also shows that all the excessive internal detail that modern kits tend to have normally adds little to a model, especially one in 1/72, except complexity and price.

I've just bought the new Revell Junkers Ju88 A-1 and it looks fantastic in the box (and I'm sure will be beautifully engineered and look great once built). I also have their older (ex- Monogram) Ju88 A-4 which is obviously a lot simpler with far fewer parts  but I bet can be built into a nice model.

• Like 1