Lightning T.4

dov

Hallo again

The EE Lightning from Sword is a kit, which is not the finest, but good one to advance for a nice model. I built the Lightning already in 1/33 from paper. A long time ago.

Now, here I started with getting the main groups of the a/c right done.

The wing, very unusual in shape and cross section. Here at the trailing area, where the ailerons are, I had to fill in some styrene, to prevent a remarkable difference, not flush at all.

The intake as a group I finished. Here I could do inside all necessary grinding. I will paint the cone, mask it and afterward the rest in aluminum before assembling in the fuselage. Which green was the cone actually? Dark green, bright green?

The cockpit is nice from the resin aftermarket. Just to ask you, the experts: The color of the cockpit is actually gray & black.

Now, I’ll see how to proceed. Just to add: I will add a bulkhead in mid fuselage at the wing section, to provide more stiffness there. It is simple too soft, and the danger is to crack the glue there!

Happy modelling

P.S. Which kit you may suggest for the early aluminum fighter version in 48?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the outside cable runs (or called something like that 🤷‍♂️) need extending or removing as the Sword T4 shares its’ body with their T5. I believe it was highlighted in an edition of SAM, but no doubt a real Lightning officienado can tell you better than me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie_c67 said:

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the outside cable runs (or called something like that 🤷‍♂️) need extending or removing as the Sword T4 shares its’ body with their T5. I believe it was highlighted in an edition of SAM, but no doubt a real Lightning officienado can tell you better than me!

You are correct, the cable ducts on the F.1A, F2/2A, T4 are the shorter than on the F.3, T.5, F.6.   I can’t remember the exact amount that needs removing from the front end though.

Edited by Riksbar

Hallo

Thank you for the information.

Now my biggest problem yet: The gear. The main leg has no corresponding attachment points to the support strut and extending hydraulic cylinder.

The wheel bay omits all support points too.

I have an idea and photos what it should look like. But this missing parts are an amazing scratch job ahead! Did anyone experience that?

Happy modelling

Hallo again

Now, the gear story: First I tried to get my SAC gear in shape. Yes, but the pivot points, did not match. Because of interference with the gear door. Now the next attempt was the kit part. Here too, the pivot point was in the wrong angle, to intersect the gear door. The pivot point had to be replaced, and more turned backward, away from the gear door. Now the arrangement looks like in real. The strut has the correct length and the correct position. I do just wonder, how other modelers got along with their Sword kits, and how many models never would have been finished, because of such flaws.

Anyway, it is a guidance for everybody with such a kit ahead.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

@dov Good solution!

I just fitted the retraction jack where it fitted on the leg and in the bay on all three Sword Lightnings I have done (T.4, F.1 and F.3). I have to admit I do not get into the 'nitty-gritty' detail and am often happy to just build 'as is' but that may change on the next one now!

I am looking forward to watching yours come together.

Ray

Hallo again

The thing is basically twofold. The gear is quite long and therefore prone to get broken easily. Therefore, I want to have such a gear stable. As I saw, no side retraction jack fitted on the pivot points. It was a nowhere, a guess. I had simple no clue, what it is all about. At the wheelbay, there are two walls, with nothing in there. This is the point, where I cannot accept it, since I leave modelling to another sphere. The items must be form-locking, before gluing.

The main gear retraction jacks and radius rods in this kit have always been a “game for a laugh”: your best bet is to have a look at some of the photos on the “Walkaround” pages on this site and “Thunder and Lightnings” for example.  On mine (sorry, no photos) I got the jacks in first running diagonally back and out from the top of the leg and then installed the radius rods following a similar route.  You’ll probably find some good-sized sink marks in the main leg doors.

The same situation results at the canopy.

The pilot sat under a clamshell canopy that hinged to the rear.

Also in this matter, there is something to do.

Happy modelling

Hallo again

The wheel well I improved a little more. The pivot axle is now almost correct. As you see, I cut out for the two hinges at the rear of the canopy.

The intake / cone / front wheel well I sprayed as a sub assembly. And glued it at once in the fuselage. Cockpit as a T4 is black overall with dry brush and paintwork. The fuselage is ready now for the wings and elevators.

After this, I will finish the cockpit.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hallo again

I had to change and to omitt White Base due to the fact, that the front canopy is black.

I have a photo from the original XM974, and took the anti glare outline corresponding to the photo.

Trainer yellow is a mixture from C4 and C58.

Well, next time overall C8 silver and lots of panels in different shades and tints.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

What a result that is - excellent! I have always wanted to do a T-Bird with the yellow trainer bands but have baulked at the masking, but you may have convinced me to have a go!

Thanks for sharing, all the best.

Ray