I give up on my Sotar 20/20!!! Any suggestions for a replacement airbrush that doesn’t clog constantly?

28ZComeback

I moved from a Paasche to Iwata ten years ago, then invested in a Sotar 2020 two years ago. I clean it regularly but still have clogging issues, leading to a partial dissassembly and cleaning of parts, re-cleaning, re-assembly, no spray and then total disassembly. Tonight after three cleanings and no spray I gave up. I am sending it back to the manufacturer with a note to overhaul it and sell it to the next guy. Can anyone suggest an airbrush that can spray tight lines yet also is easily maintained?  Thank you. 

Also what needle/nozzle size, Fine, Medium or Large?

In Badger’s marketing blurb it says

Finely pigmented properly reduced paints, water colors, inks, dyes, and low viscosity acrylics can be sprayed with the 20/20®.

This especially goes for the Fine setup.  What paint is it clogging with, maybe its pigments are too coarse, or it is too thick.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use a wide variety of paints but mostly Tamiya acrylics cut with Tamiya thinner. I do not use retarders. Ratio is heavy on thinner. Fine needles and tip. Constant cleaning and endless headaches!!  I use acetone for cleaning parts. 

Edited by 28ZComeback

My guess is that airbrush is probably going to respond better to MRP straight out of the bottle or Mr. Color (heavily thinned). 

If you're stuck to Tamiya (and similar stuff) because of the smell/fumes I would definitely switch to something with a 0.3-0.4 nozzle. For incredible ease of cleaning I would go with the H&S line up. The Iwata Eclipse could also be an option because of it's large nozzle which makes cleaning a lot easier than on the models with the microscopic nozzle. 

PS: whenever I spray Tamiya I go for the 0.4 nozzle in my airbrush.

• Thanks 1

Most of the time when the airbrush clogs it's the paint, not the airbrush. Using a fine tip and needle and acrylic paint is a sure fire recipe for clogging the tip. I never have to spray really fine lines as I build auto models mainly. So I never have the tip closed, as I'm usually spraying heavier coats. So tip clogging is never really an issue for me. But I found since I switched over to Mr Color paints they never seem to clog the tip. As already mentioned above though, they do smell a bit..

• Like 1