Airfix Half-Track M3 ** Finished **

While the rigging on my Cutty Sark continues to test my patience my thoughts turned to a more simple build. The has lurked in my stash for some time

DSC04225

Not only is it a kit I built as a kid but also in the original packaging, but before anyone says I should have sold it and purchased the current classic offering take a look at the contents.

DSC04226

there are a number pieces missing - mainly the chassis, despite that I considered the first stage would be a quick build 

so literally a few minutes later

DSC04227

it looks like a nought track.

So off the the spares box now to see if I can find a suitable donor chassis.

If anyone collects the header instructions for Airfix kits and wants this sheet please PM me and I will drop it into the post for you.

header taken

• Like 11

I recently built the re-release of this kit for a review.  Did one back in my teens and until the Academy came it it was probably the best 72nd (not 76th) scale tracks.

The review kit built quickly but my new decal sheet only had the hood star and 1 for the side.  Had to raid my decal stash for a couple matching stars.spacer.png

• Like 4

Hi,

This is a nice kit - I built one shortly after it came out. The scale of the Airfix military vehicles was always a bit hit and miss. Some were claimed to be "OO" ie 1/76 whilst others were said to be 1/72. Should not make a big difference but in some cases is certainly does, for example the Crusader Tank. Supposedly 1/72 but seriously longer than my fairly accurate 1/76 versions. Scales out about within 0.5mm on width but a whopping 3.2mm too long for 1/72, and 7.6mm too long for 1/76. Can't remember how the half track does in that respect, but I seem to recall the Hasegawa 1/72 version with mortar was a little bigger. Most of my WWII tanks were originally either Airfix of Fujimi, but for post war I had limited choice at first, and ended up with a few Esci which were almost certainly 1/72.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

The Airfix Crusader was otherwise a nice kit. I seem to remember reading a comment to the effect that the problem was that the wheels were slightly too large in diameter and the accumulating error led to the extra length. 

I haven't built the half track in years, so watching with interest. 

John 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just for completeness here is the finished build

DSC04360

DSC04359

The missing chassis was replaced by some cut down wooden coffee stirrers. Although not of the quality I wanted it will have a part to play in a diorama that I intend to build at some time. 

• Like 4