Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon Mk.1B Bubbletop canopy.

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Well, yours are bigger than the standard Typhoon tailplanes, but the Eduard ones are longer at the rear edge, if that makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense but who's correct, Ultracast or Eduard? Or how much does it matter? 😄

43 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Yes, it makes sense but who's correct, Ultracast or Eduard? Or how much does it matter? 😄

I have a third contender, S.A.M. publications sold some Typhoon resin upgrades including Tempest tailplanes, but the Eduard ones are the longest.  I did buy the Valiant airframe & miniature book on the Typhoon but it barely mentions the Tempest tailplanes and there are no images of them extending back past the the mounting fairings, it just looks wrong.  So I have bought resin tailplanes and exhausts and before I fit them I want to make sure they are right.  I found out that the shrouded exhaust covers were discarded as soon as the aircraft reached the squadrons, they were such a PITA to remove and fit they were binned.

5 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

I wouldn't worry about it for now Bob, you've got a Heinkel 111 to build. 😄👍

That's true, and I have the cockpit inserts glued and filled on all three of my Typhoons.  Did you glue some plastic card to the upper wing root to fill the gap, I remember it was 10 thou one side and 15 thou the other, but not which side was which as that's another job that I have done.  Anyway He 111s, they start today, well, for some of us. :nod:

Roger,

GREAT job on your Typhoon, to this point!  I happen to be a Typhoon fanatic, myself, but I have only, thus far, built a single 1/48 Eduard Typhoon Mk V Series 2.  The Eduard kits are truly spectacular, if you've not yet built one.  In fact, I have 5 more of the Eduard Typhoons, one each of the Series 1 and 2 in individual boxes, a Royal Class box (with both of them included) and an Overtree version (for a Series 1, in case I mess up when I [try to] install the Eduard flap modification).  I don't know if you've seen the Modeling News series on building both the Series 1 and Series 2 Eduard kits, but yours is right on par with those!

Boy am I stupid....just realized I was talking about, regarding MY models, it's Tempests.  Related to Typhoons, but not quite the same...

Edited by Curt B
Error in references

@Retired Bob

I didn't need any plastic card Bob, the fit was good. The seam in front of the windscreen could have done with some though. In fact a used a bit of yoghurt pot when I did the car door version.... and didn't remember it on this one till I'd filled, sanded, filled etc etc.

Nevermind laughing at me, get on with it. 😉😀

@Curt B

Thanks very much Curt.

That sounds like quite a collection of Typhoons you have! 

2 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Nevermind laughing at me, get on with it. 😉😀

Sorry, I'm up to my armpits with TWO 1/48 He 111 builds,  sorry again, just remembered you cannot see those subversive Flickr pictures.   :yikes:  :wicked:

Every review I have read on the Hasegawa Typhoon says it needs the upper wings shimmed with plastic-card, now take them off and do it correctly. 😀

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Every review I have read on the Hasegawa Typhoon says it needs the upper wings shimmed with plastic-card, now take them off and do it correctly.

Ah well did those reviewers actually build them or did they rely on that little gem of info from the one person who actually built one and needed to?

Or maybe it's not necessary if you build them on a ship. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Or maybe it's not necessary if you build them on a ship. 🤣

The review that I read in the Valiant book, and I have it in front of me, a noticeable gap that is easiest filled with a shim of plastic-card, 15 thou on the left and 25 thou on the right wing root......Mind the gap, on the dry fit of my wings I certainly had gaps so I shimmed away.  Perhaps you are suffering from a wave effect. 😉

2 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Perhaps you are suffering from a wave effect. 

I prefer to think everyone else is suffering from not having the leave effect. 😀

How it's looking at the moment, negative shims....

p?i=f8ed05494b10260c089f2dd796666b97

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

How it's looking at the moment, negative shims....

I could tell about the other problem with this kit, but.....I don't want to give that sinking feeling, especially how far on you are. :wicked:

53 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I could tell about the other problem with this kit, but.....I don't want to give that sinking feeling, especially how far on you are. :wicked:

Fire away Bob, I really don't mind. It's close enough for my purposes but I am interested in the inaccuracies. 

1 minute ago, Roger Newsome said:

Fire away Bob, I really don't mind. It's close enough for my purposes but I am interested in the inaccuracies. 

Again it's not my find, but the same review.  The reinforcement plates around the tail section are the wrong shape, so you could sand them off and make correctly shaped ones from plastic-card, I thought no, life's too short, and then..... Eduard released their early Tempest kit and the tail reinforcement plates came on an P/E set, so you can buy the P/E set and away you go, before you ask, no I haven't. :penguin:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tiffi looking a treat Roger, nice work.

Good job you took a spare kit with you...

Cheers

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl. I'm not so sure I'll need the other kit but it's nice to know I have it just in case.

55 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Yet! 😂

You know me too well. :nod:

6 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

Thanks Darryl. I'm not so sure I'll need the other kit but it's nice to know I have it just in case.

Perhaps you should have taken the He 111, then you could be playing along with the GB. :winkgrin:

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

You know me too well

Yes. 

7 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Perhaps you should have taken the He 111, then you could be playing along with the GB. :winkgrin:

I did think that but it's a project I'd rather do at home.

• Like 1