Revell Ford Mustang 2+2 hatchback 1965 - Finished

Hi everyone

This is my first build log on this forum. Recently been building wooden model ships (on my second model) but wanted to actually finish a model in less than 20years! So here's my attempt at the ford Mustang. I'm using this as a stepping stone to building an AMT Chrysler 300C.

Here are a few pictures of where I'm at.

Ok just realised uploads are not possible. Bear with while I sort something out.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 1

Thanks gents my phone camera is clearly good at hiding paint brush strokes!😀

I'll try and post a few more pictures this evening.

To answer your question Roger I am using mr colour aqueous red gloss. It is a very nice paint but it is very tacky when applied and I found it really tricky to minimise visible brush strokes. It went on a lot better when I used Tamiya x20 thinner instead of water to thin paint down though but still tricky. I've seen a YouTube review that suggests it comes out very nicely when applied with a airbrush (which I haven't got...)

Thanks John I've been following your etype build as I build the 1/12 (I think) version a while back

Nick

• Like 1

Here are a few more pictures. First the interior to date.

spacer.png

And then the masking for the two white stripes

spacer.png

And finally the bonnet with some flat white as a base coat for the Mr colour gloss white that I will be applying tomorrow after a light sanding.

spacer.png

I'm hoping the finished car will look something like this!

spacer.png

(Image courtesy of classiccars.com)

Thanks for looking in.

Nick

• Like 2

Hi all

So I decided to go down the painting route main reason I wanted the finish to look the same on both colours and I wanted to see if I could do an ok job! ☺️ If the whole thing goes pearshape then I can always strip the paint of the bonnet and start again...(plus I still have the decal option up my sleeve)

... Which is what I have just done! 😀 No it didn't really go pearshaped it's just that I was struggling to get a good finish with the white even with a base coat of grey. Even after  sanding back down and retrying a couple of times.

So I ended up doing what I should have done a long time ago... Listen to the experts in this particular case Plasmo who mentions in a couple of his videos that in his opinion the best white coverage wise is the citadel base white paint. The main reason for stripping the whole bonnet back was that I was worried about not being able to properly sand back right near the masking tape and ending up with a big paint ridge. This in fact is what happened as I confirmed when I removed the masking tape. On the plus side doing that showed me that if or more hopefully when I get this right the two white stripes are going to look really good and quite close to the picture I put up at the start of this build.

Anyhoo enough rambling here's a picture.

spacer.png

I decided not to paint the white stripes first which yes would have been easier because as the car body is already painted red then I'm also going to paint white stripes over red for that as well (and I am not stripping the car body back!). Hopefully all I need are a couple more coats of red on the bonnet and I can start the stripes again.

As you can see I have also been playing with the molotow chrome pens. My aren't those things great! 😀

Thanks for looking in

Nick

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Still having issues with white paint...☹️. As good as corax white is coverage wise it is not white more very light grey which means that when I try to put a coat of Mr colour aqueous gloss white (which slightly translucent) then the grey shows through... Ggrrr... So another acrylic flat white paint is in order to see if that will help... I'm not going to re-strip the bonnet (yet...) as I need to concentrate on the main body as most other bits are painted.

Here's what the bonnet looks like at the mo.

spacer.png

As you can see not the best finish. More experimenting required. I'll get there eventually!🙂

Nick

Finally...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...managed to get a couple of good enough white stripes. Not perfect but good enough...

On 31/07/2020 at 07:55, Fnick said:

I'm not going to re-strip the bonnet (yet...)

Well...

spacer.png

😁

Why wait! Just about to restart the stripes on that but at least I now know this will be the last time I do that! Overall pleased with the outcome. A few places where the white paint bled into the red but that was sorted with some gentle scraping. I'll double check those areas again just to make sure they don't need more remedial work.

Thanks for looking.

Nick

• Like 4

Thanks Andy! Although my technique is improving I still have some way to go. The pictures are again good at blurring those brush marks! If I get round to it I'll use my SLR camera to take some pictures. Very tempted to switch to spray cans for my next model.

Nick

1 minute ago, Fnick said:

Thanks Andy! Although my technique is improving I still have some way to go. The pictures are again good at blurring those brush marks! If I get round to it I'll use my SLR camera to take some pictures. Very tempted to switch to spray cans for my next model.

Nick

Spray cans will work fine Nick just apply light coats and build up the colour slowly 🙂

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

Right bonnet sorted now. Well at least that was the case until I started sanding the paint ridge on the white paint and some red pigment ended on the sand paper and on the white... So a small amount of touching up to do.

Some pics

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thing I'm not so sure is whether to do a glossy clear coat or maybe just a satin finish (which I would need to order). I also need to do the interior colour in the car body.

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 3

So I thought I'd start putting the "Ford" decals on the bonnet and guess what muggins here decides to do...?🙄

Yes you've guessed it I managed to lose the "F" 😠🤬. Queue lots of colourful French language... Thankfully the kids were already in bed! 😁

This morning once I had calmed down and after having a quick look to see if I could easily find some replacement decals (I couldn't) I started building the "F" using thin strips of unused decals. I also put on the rest before I lost those too,😋

Although not perfect I think it might just do. Waiting for the whole thing to dry before finishing the F off.

spacer.png

Also I've decided to go with the glossy coat because a) it will protect the model and b)if I apply just one thin coat followed by a slighter wetter coat it will have the new car look without it being too blingy. Hopefully...

Stay tuned for more trials and tribulations!

Nick

Edited by Fnick
  • Like 4

Persistence is a key to success!  Obstacles are what make the journey rewarding.

I'm am curious your opinion on the fit of the Revell model?  Revell was almost the downfall of my modeling career in my younger days what with the vague fit and my lack of vision to correct their poor molding.  

Keep up the work and continue posting. 

JCH

• Like 1

Hi JCH

Thanks for your comments. Can't say much about Revell kits generally but on this one the fit seems ok apart from the front and rear bumpers. Thankfully I had seen on another build log the tip about trying to fit many parts together before painting and I was glad because there were gaps between the bumpers and main body which would have been a pain to sort out after painting. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The car body, interior and chassis all seem to fit ok but I'll know more when I try and glue them together! 🙂

Nick

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JCH said:

Persistence is a key to success!  Obstacles are what make the journey rewarding.

I'm am curious your opinion on the fit of the Revell model?  Revell was almost the downfall of my modeling career in my younger days what with the vague fit and my lack of vision to correct their poor molding.  

Keep up the work and continue posting. 

JCH

This was originally a Monogram kit, released in the mid '80s.  Most of those Monogram models are fairly simple and practically fall together, nothing like the ultra fiddly Revell kits from the '60s.   I can't recall any problems with this one other than the stance being a bit too high.

• Thanks 1

Hi all

Thank you for the likes and comments. The F is now sorted. Had to redo it since I was not happy with the first attempt. The F being raised on the bonnet is fine when using the normal decal but a bit of a pain when using three tiny strips!

spacer.png

Not perfect but it will do. It passes the 1m test!🙂.

Anyway it's that or I'm building a car called an Ord Mustang...😁

Cheers Nick

• Like 3

Hi all

Ready for a gloss coat...

spacer.png

2 coats on the bonnet went on fine.

spacer.png

However second coat on the body did this...☹️

spacer.png

Yep the dreaded orange peel effect... I am planning to sand the gloss back down anyway and polish it back up using Tamiya compounds. So do I need to try and do another coat beforehand? Don't want to get the car too glossy...

Thanks all

Nick