British Airways Concorde, Revell 1:144

A long time ago, I made one of the Revell Concorde kits with the Bra.Z windscreens for my office, and when I moved, I gave it to a coworker as a leaving gift.

It was in the Chatham livery, which I like, but I have always found the Landor livery to suit Concorde perfectly.  

The Airfix kit in Landor was my most recent build of this jet, but the only representation is with the nose in the up position.

I wanted a Landor Concorde with the nose down to hang from my ceiling with my other airliners.

Now, Revell's kit is inaccurate with the nose in the down position, because it shows the windscreen to be flat, with a single pane of glass.

The Bra.Z modification fixes that, with the addition of decals - in this case, I used the detail set from Draw Decals.

Now my hands have stopped trembling from applying the red cheatline, I took some photos before it goes up on the ceiling.  

The last photo is the Revell and Airfix builds side by side.

IMG_1307

IMG_1298

IMG_1299

IMG_1300

IMG_1301

IMG_1302

IMG_1303

IMG_1306

• Like 43

1 minute ago, Spec7 said:

Great,  you nailed that white gloss :)

I'm glad Halford's is open for non-essential shopping now!

I've got a few airliners to build...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dstream said:

Great build. Both your Concorde's look awesome.

Thanks, I think it's interesting to compare the two manufacturer's offerings - the Airfix one is still pretty good considering the kit was originally made decades ago.

British Airways Chatham and Air France to come!!

• Like 1

Your builds do great justice to one of the most beautiful airplanes to ever grace the skies. Excellent work!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Your builds do great justice to one of the most beautiful airplanes to ever grace the skies. Excellent work!

Thank you!  Do you prefer the Landor or Chatham?

9 hours ago, Modelling Padre said:

Neil both builds look great. For a novice builder like myself which kit was the easier build?

The Airfix kit is by far the simpler build.

It has fewer parts, and fewer decals (Revell kit on left, Airfix kit on right):

IMG_1318

The Revell kit for some reason only has the intake splitter that goes part way along the length of the engines, and has no ramps.

The Airfix kit however has full-length splitters that go all the way to the engine fans, and it has both converging and diverging intake ramps.

The Revell decals for the British Airways Chatham option is an accurate representation, whereas the Airfix version is more dull, and it looks like the speedmarque ribbon is not the correct size (Airfix decals top, Revell decals below):

IMG_1319

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Wow, what a lovely pair. I prefer the nose-up attitude for sleekness!

That's where the 1:72 version is better, where you can move the nose up or down if you can't decide!

You just need the space for it!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, neilg said:

That's where the 1:72 version is better, where you can move the nose up or down if you can't decide!

You just need the space for it!

I have the 1:72 and 1:144 Airfix Concorde models, plus the 1:144 Revell, a 1:200 Nitto and a 1:270 Lindberg. I recently sold the 1:72 Heller model. I may get around to build that little lot when I retire....🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnMcDonnell said:

Great Concorde. It appears Revell captured the shape better and has some better details. 

The Revell version still has some issues - the nose still doesn't look quite right, and there are no exhaust details, so you can see right into the empty engines.

The decals definitely help with the detailing, but they take an age to apply!

7 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Wow, what a lovely pair. I prefer the nose-up attitude for sleekness!

IMG_1326

He's just taken off, which is why the nose is down 😄

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nick Belbin said:

Could you cross-kit the two for the best bits of each?

Both lovely models by the way.

Nick

I think that would be an interesting project.

The only cross build I have done was to put Airfix decals on the Revell kit.  The kit I had was the Landor/Air France boxing, and the person I was building it for wanted Chatham, and I used some leftover decals from a previous Airfix build.

I have some leftover decals of a previous Revell build, which I might put on the Airfix kit, but when I made it, I wanted to revisit the kit as it was when I first saw it as a kid.