1/48 Eduard Profipack P400 Airacobra

This looked an interesting build to start, not sure if it'll get finished as I have a vehicle kit being delivered soon and that might steal me away. We'll see.

Anyway, here is the box and sprues etc. The beginning and completion of the cockpit and something I've never used before, Liquid Gravity, as you can see from the picture, it is LOTS of TINY balls which are surprisingly heavy. As this plane has a nose wheel, I needed something so I've embedded them in a dollop of PVA.

Jon

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

No progress yesterday, finally had a day away from home. 15 or so broken down cars on the M5/M4 motorway, I guess cars have been a bit neglected during 'lockdown'.

Anyway, fuselage halves together and cockpit fitted. Wings and tailplane attached, MORE little balls added as nose weight and canopy given a coat of the internal colour.

Jon

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

The colour scheme I've chosen is one from an aircraft that was repaired from several wrecks, and named 'Resurrection', as you can see from the instructions. So this is the first colour, sky. I'll wait until it has hardened off before masking it and painting the underside of the other wing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Propeller spinner and machine gun painted and fitted. Blades painted and ready to fit. Undercarriage legs done.spacer.png

Top of the odd wing painted Olive Drab. Once it has hardened off I'll mask all the painted surfaces and spray the rest Matt Earth, then all (?) I'll have to do is spray on the green camo pattern.

I will probably make some shaped masks rather than paint freehand.

I did discover a slight problem. I have fixed the canopy on with a spot or two of PVA, but when I came to fit it, I found the gunsight was in the way, despite the fact I'd placed it correctly on the instrument panel. Bit of a design fault there by Eduard. I'll look at fixing it when I come to fit the canopy more permanently.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Masked the painted surfaces and sprayed with Matt Earth. Next task is to make some stencils to cover the brown and then spray the Dark Green.

Jon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stencils made and fitted, should work ok.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Faraway
add content
  • Like 5

That looks like a really neat job and I like the colour scheme a lot too.

Can I ask if you bothered to thin the wing trailing edges and if so how hard was it to do? (I'm not saying you should have, by the way, I just can't decide whether or not to do it on mine and am wondering if you did or not!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, hopkp said:

That looks like a really neat job and I like the colour scheme a lot too.

Can I ask if you bothered to thin the wing trailing edges and if so how hard was it to do? (I'm not saying you should have, by the way, I just can't decide whether or not to do it on mine and am wondering if you did or not!)

I didn’t thin the trailing edge, didn’t really give it any thought. The edge doesn’t seem to be too thick, but I’m not one for 100% accuracies, I just enjoy building them.

Jon.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I didn’t thin the trailing edge, didn’t really give it any thought. The edge doesn’t seem to be too thick, but I’m not one for 100% accuracies, I just enjoy building them.

Jon.

Thanks for that, on balance I don't think I'll bother either.....

• Thanks 1

Good Afternoon fellow Britmodellers.

Dark Green paint sprayed on this morning. No sign of frosting, so the humidity must be low. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whenever I remove the mask it is always a moment of trepidation, because then I discover how much paint crept under.

But this time there is none, I must be getting the hang of this. (probably shouldn't have said that)

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, now the next task is a coat or two of Quick Shine and then the application of the decals.

See you tomorrow, with luck.

Jon

• Like 5