Problem with Vallejo Model Air and masking

Xirurg

Hi All

I'm having issue with Vallejo Model Air when using masks. There is visible "step" between two colors where the edge of the mask was

Here is the picture:

spacer.png

I'm using Vallejo Model Air, spraying at 15-18 PSI, straight from the bottle, Tamiya masking tape.

I've used Vallejo on 3 models and got this "step" issue on 2 of them. The only difference was the paint - the one where I didn't get step was IJN Dark Green (AV71310) and Aluminium (AV71062).

Picture above uses Dark Earth (AV71323) and Dark Green (AV71324). That makes me wonder it's gotta be a paint issue - maybe some of the paints are thicker? Maybe I didn't mix it enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't comment on Vallejo Model Air paint but, when using masks, you need to spray away from the mask otherwise, if you spray towards the mask, a ridge of paint can build up. It's possible that's what's happened rather than being a paint brand problem.

Mark

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

if you spray towards the mask, a ridge of paint can build up

exactly, and to be honest it can be tricky to avoid when spraying at odd angles - inevitably you'll end up spraying against some edge!

When the paint is truly hard, you can use very fine grade paper (e.g. 5000) to very carefully sand down the ridge. It will change the lustre of the paint, but you can fix that with whatever top coat (varnish, Klear) you use.

You can minimise the chances of it occuring by using an ultrathin masking media (when I really need a hard edge, I use parafilm)

You can avoid it by using the blu-tak sausage technique (which can still produce quite a hard edge if that's what you want.

Cheers

Colin

30 minutes ago, Mark Harmsworth said:

you need to spray away from the mask

Thanks for the reply however I don't think that's the case. I never got such ridges when spraying with Tamiya Acrylic. I'll use blue-tak for masking next time - wanted to try that anyway. I think it'll look better on a model.

If you use masking tape you'll get a hard edge. The more paint you apply, the larger the step. If you use blu-tac the edge will be minimal, because the blu-tac doesn't seal down tightly like tape does. Only way to avoid a step altogether is spray the colours free hand with no masking, but I guess you won't get as neat an edge as with tape. Other solution is to clear coat over the paint job, this will reduce the step significantly.

Edited by Steve Noble

Also, if I may suggest, you may be spraying the upper coat a little heavy - try thinning the paint a bit and dialing the pressure back a tad.  I have never had this problem with Vallejo but I did with enamels, which I was spraying too heavy, seeking total uniformity, but not looking too realistic.  I now use paper masks tacked in place with tiny roles of Tamiya tape and have achieved an almost hard edged demarcation between colors, while at the same time allowing for some variation in tone.  If sticking with a true hard edged mask, another thing to look at  is removing the mask as soon as possible to give the paint a chance to self-level.  Hope it helps!

Although I don’t use Vallejo I would think this issue would be quite common with any paint brand where you’ve allowed too much paint to build up. I constantly get this when applying yellow leading edge ID markings to WW2 RAF fighters. The white undercoat on top of the yellow top coat will invariably be thicker than the Camouflage colours. A quick sand will reduce it, however may also remove the paint as well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• 2 weeks later...