AFTI F-16 75-0750

Some images of Full Scale Development F-16A 75-0750 Advanced Fighter technology Integration test bed. During display at three Edwards AFB Open House.

October 1982

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19821023 05cr1

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19821023 38cr

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19821023 06cr

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19821023 07cr

Stores separation camera housing beneath the rear fuselage.

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19821023 08cr1

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19821023 09cr

October 1984 - sensor pods added at the wing roots.

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19841027 24cr1

October 1991 - Ejection seat upgrade and IRST added between the radome and cockpit.

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19911005 01cr

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19911005 37cr

75-0750 AFTI KEDW 19911005 04cr

Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Excellent photos Sven, just waiting for my decals to come over for this aircraft. Do you have another picture of the other side of the aircraft with the IRST showing the weapons under the wing ? Also is that a camera on the inside of the canopy above the seat ?

Regards

Robert

15 hours ago, Robert said:

Do you have another picture of the other side of the aircraft with the IRST showing the weapons under the wing ? Also is that a camera on the inside of the canopy above the seat ?

Sorry, but those are all the images I have. Maybe more on the internet?

I think that "camera" above the seat is a position sensor for the helmet-mounted sight that was being evaluated to point the aircraft electro-optic sensors.

Sven

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/13/2020 at 8:42 AM, Robert said:

Excellent photos Sven, just waiting for my decals to come over for this aircraft. Do you have another picture of the other side of the aircraft with the IRST showing the weapons under the wing ? Also is that a camera on the inside of the canopy above the seat ?

Regards

Robert

I assume you're referring to the Caracal decals? If so, they are only correct for Phase I of the testing, which can be noted by the black radome. In Phase I the script on the tail logo had "USAF - NASA - USN."

Phase II kept the canards, added the sensor shapes on the wing roots, and the text on the tail had "USAF - NASA - USN - U S ARMY." At some point in time during Phase II, the plane was upgraded with the ACES II ejection seat, the Air Force Systems Command logo was added on the tail and a few other small details. For a portion of Phase II, the right wing root had and sensor installed, which in shape looked exactly like front portion of the "Coronet Prince" pod Sven has posted photos of before. Eventually it reverted to being a dummy shape, however.

The next iteration was for the CAS studies starting around 1988. This got rid of the canards for a normal NSI intake and the paint scheme was changed to closely resemble a standard USAF F-16 scheme. I forgot to mention, it got the larger horizontal stabs at this time as well. The markings on the tail changed again to get rid of the service names, but added "CAS" in red below. In some of the photos it looks like the left wing root pod had a IRST installed, and part of the time the "Falcon Eye" or the "Falcon Knight" nose mounted FLIRs were evaluated.

Not exactly the same configuration, but here is photos of -750 with the "Falcon Eye" FLIR in flight with a SUU-20 under the wing: Click here!

Of note, the "Falcon Eye" is the same sensor used on the CAS/BAI evaluation F-16B 75-752 in the Green European 1 Camouflage around the same time frame.

Here is a photo with the "Falcon Knight" dual FLIR set up with tanks and Mavericks: Click here!

Here is one after the nose mounted FLIRS are removed, but still with the "CAS" markings on the tail and HARMs: Click here!

Cheers,

Hoops

Edited by Hoops
info on the horizontal stabs!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/10/2020 at 10:34 PM, Old Viper Tester said:

Some images of Full Scale Development F-16A 75-0750 Advanced Fighter technology Integration test bed. During display at three Edwards AFB Open House.

Very timely! I've been doing a bunch of research and work on this aircraft the last couple of weeks. These images are very helpful, thank you very much Sven!

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hook said:

Great references!, I have the 1/72nd Caracal sheet as well.

How are you guys planning to do the spine? Milliput?

Cheers,

Andre

I'm planning to do a styrene sheet framework and surface, probably backfilled with Milliput to give it rigidity and strength. That way I can scribe and detail the exterior easier than if the whole thing was out of Milliput.

I want to build Phase II, and I drew the decals for it. They were to appear on a Wolfpak decal sheet sometime this year before Mark passed away. I had also had them ALPS printed, but the orange color on some of the stencils didn't work out very well, coming out dithered. I can get most of the orange warning decals from the spares box, but there is a battery location stencil on the left lower aft of the fuselage that is missing.

Cheers,

Hoops

7 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I'm planning to do a styrene sheet framework and surface, probably backfilled with Milliput to give it rigidity and strength. That way I can scribe and detail the exterior easier than if the whole thing was out of Milliput.

Yes, that does seem to be a good way forward. The French build Vingtor mentions, shows the same approach.

Cheers,

Andre 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, Hook said:

Yes, that does seem to be a good way forward. The French build Vingtor mentions, shows the same approach.

Cheers,

Andre 

As most of the time I did, I will make all the parts (spine and pods) with 3D printing. I have already started to draw the model and soon I will post some images.

Several years ago I built in 1:72 scale from scratch with my own decals.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Serkan

• Like 1