Birthday Bonus - the BP Defiant ***FINISHED***

Hello everybody.

I was a late signer-upper to this group build (dunno why as it was always my intention to join in). The only issue was what to build? It turns out that the decision was made for me by my very nice neighbours, knowing that I had a Big Birthday coming up and was a modeller (they’ve witnessed by AMARC, ie garage where my stash patiently waits it’s turn). Saying that ‘everyone knows about the Spitfire and Hurricane’ they thought out of the box and presented me with the newish Airfix 1/72 Defiant!

Here is the obligatory box shot showing the contents of said box to be unsullied 

50096942846_6f94f0f123_b.jpg

and here is my principal reference 

50096942851_7dc27e3a31_b.jpg

I will now spend a while nerdily cutting out the main parts and lining them up to the drawings.

Let the fun begin!

Trevor

EDIT

walkaround link from your favourite modelling website for ease of (my!) reference.

• Like 13

That’s a nice little kit, apart from some overly-thick trailing edges.

I’m currently working on the 1/48th kit, for which the Eduard brass has been procured.  Does your reference show the area of decking behind the pilot’s seat?  I’ve not been able to find any decent images of this area, not even in the Valiant Wings book that I recently acquired.

I’m looking forward to seen no how you get on with this project.

• Thanks 1

@stever219 I know about the thick trailing edge as I have an abandoned build in the corner of shame. I have a goose necked scraper on order specifically for this. Due to arrive next week.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gooseneck-Cabinet-Wood-Scraper-Woodworking-Craft-Tool/283580248720?ul_ref=https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?ff3=2&pub=5575376664&toolid=10044&campid=5338268676&customid=Cj0KCQjwo6D4BRDgARIsAA6uN1_1PcegShxkUERWuebX4t0PmE35JyPAL5KfBIx496NJE82k_P57BF8aAsh6EALw_wcB&lgeo=1&item=283580248720&srcrot=710-53481-19255-0&rvr_id=2508394400737&rvr_ts=3918c5ed1730a9b18fd2aa45ffce789f&_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1&ul_noapp=true&pageci=e6bfed9f-0e50-4370-9ede-3fb9a5b9ada9

(off topic but how do I embed that link above? Others manage to get it down to a single word hyperlink)

The last build came apart with the guns and undercarriage. The sprues are unbelievably awkward and when I came to separate the parts, they snapped. It’s my intention to modify my technique by removing the part and a large part of the runner surrounding it and then trim back. These small parts are very fragile. This is what happened when I tried cutting off the control column including a bit of runner.

50097336366_07c2a0d717_b.jpg

Close call. I need to be more generous with where I snip.

The reference I have doesn’t have specific details of the decking area. I’m employing google-fu for photos and if I find anything, I’ll let you know.

@Stew Dapple I hadn’t thought about masks, but I’m shortly putting in an order with Hannants for acrylic paints and varnishes (see my Vickers Nimrod build for the horror show with enamel paint and varnishes......) to banish the last of my enamels from large scale painting jobs.

I have cut sprues and will report back later!

Trevor

• Like 1

@stever219 

Not exactly what you want but if you ever need to use the turret on a Defiant here’s your reference!

There are glimpses of what’s behind the pilot.

Im also putting this video in the reference section for other Defiant modellers.

BTW if you do Facebook, there is a BP Defiant group. I’ve put in a membership request. You never know, someone may have what you want?

Trevor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First update.

As is well known, new gen Airfix kits are engineered for a tight fit, meaning that pre painting and then assembling can lead to problems when closing up the fuselage. My adopted practice therefore is to do sub assemblies and then paint them at the last minute before final assembly. To that end I put together the bits for the cockpit this afternoon. It has a good amount of detail as is, but there’s always room for more!

Before that though, I indulged in matching parts to the plans in the Battle of Britain supplement.

Oh dear......

50097336406_ff9e405990_b.jpg

50097336431_fd43da4162_b.jpg

Either the kit is oversize or the plans are undernourished.

My Putnams Aircraft of the Royal Air Force has the length as 35’ 4”.

50096760483_12d6bb7598_b.jpg

The kit is right for the fuselage (didn’t measure the wingspan). It looks as if Airfix got it right.

Phew!

Further updates soon (time for tea 🍽)

Trevor

• Like 4

Pork chops with cauliflower cheese thanks for asking.

The cockpit tub was assembled as per the instructions. My only addition was the seatbelt. I’m too forgetful/mean/not convinced, to invest in an etched seatbelt, especially in 1/72. What I do have is lots of kabuki tape and a sharp blade. Using the thin stuff and making it narrower and critically referring to blow up photos of etched seatbelt sets, I came up with this...

50096760503_de39559358_b.jpg

50097569942_bc690e4087_b.jpg

Not too shabby, especially if this is going to be viewed through a closed canopy.

Next was detailing the cockpit sidewalls and instrument panel. Hands up this isn’t 100% and the starboard side especially, but it’s ‘busy’ and once again through a close canopy will suffice.

50096760413_fe1c588ee0_b.jpg

Next I think will be the turret, carefully taking notes from the video above.

I’ve also been thinking about the scheme. Obviously Day Fighter Scheme, I’ve decided to to the 141 Sqn machine TH*W possibly serialled L7009 and with an unrecorded ‘Cock of the North’ graffiti on the port side. It’s the bottom scheme, but confusingly labelled ‘2’ on the caption!

50097374311_d199d63246_b.jpg

I have an old Almark sheet for this. I’ll post a pic of it soon.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 7

When I thinned down the inside of the trailing edges and removed the fabric effect from behind the gun bays on my Airfix Hurricane, I used this curved Xacto blade.

49317089502_9d31f2492f_b.jpg

50098125626_a0480e917b_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If you were concerned about it, the Airfix measurements ought to be correct as I believe they had access to the Hendon Defiant when it was being renovated some years ago :) 

You're making good progress Trevor, though for some reason I now fancy cauliflower cheese :tasty:

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

@stever219 

Not exactly what you want but if you ever need to use the turret on a Defiant here’s your reference!

There are glimpses of what’s behind the pilot.

Im also putting this video in the reference section for other Defiant modellers.

BTW if you do Facebook, there is a BP Defiant group. I’ve put in a membership request. You never know, someone may have what you want?

Trevor

Thanks Trevor.  That video’s quite good isn’t it?  I’m now wondering how much of the brassware that Eduard give you for the turret is actually applicable😳😳.

I had though that the Scale Models article included quite a good cutaway drawing, but if it doesn’t show the area between cockpit and turret I’m still stuffed.  Gizmology to the rescue I suppose.

• Like 1

Off to a great start Trevor!

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

(off topic but how do I embed that link above? Others manage to get it down to a single word hyperlink)

Just highlight the word(s) you want to have represent the hyperlink and click the 'chain link' looking button on the toolbar, uh eighth from the left it looks like, and it pops up a window to paste in the URL.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Off to a great start Trevor!

Just highlight the word(s) you want to have represent the hyperlink and click the 'chain link' looking button on the toolbar, uh eighth from the left it looks like, and it pops up a window to paste in the URL.

Problem is, 99% of my posts are on an iPhone 🙃

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Regarding the removal of small parts from sprues, especially those with thick connections, I sometimes use this bit of a broken CMK blade, stuck into the end of a twist drill handle.  

26937529567_c72062d3a0_o.jpg

Other times, I carefully make partial cuts with my nippers, then rotate the nipper 90 degrees and make another partial cut, slowly nipping my way through the connection.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @dogsbody for the posts above.

In cutting parts of sprues, I think part of the problem is the stress imposed on the part whilst being removed. I have saws, snippers and blades of various sorts and have encountered the same problem with all. I’m going to be very careful in removing those fiddly parts!

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks Trevor @Max Headroom.  The cutaway at post 5 in your third link is the one that I was thinking of.  It doesn’t have much detail of the radio installation but it does show the struts either side of the fairing and the fairing operating jack, so that’s a couple of birds dealt with

• Like 1

First off my goose necked scraper arrived unexpectedly today - wasn’t scheduled until Tuesday at the earliest. Great service. 

I didn’t know how big the thing was going to be, but it’s certainly not something you can lose in a hurry! I’ve decided that it has a secondary role too. Blob some blue tack on it and attach smaller pieces that need gluing together and painting. You can then manoeuvre it easily for painting. Very handy. I will warn you now that it creates mountains of swarf even only after a few passes.

50100915672_ae7bb170af_b.jpg

I found that I had to sacrifice the rear locating lugs in order to obtain the thinner trailing edge. Intermittent dry fitting of the wing parts helped me decide how much plastic needed removing. Once done the three parts were glued, making sure to press the rear edges together in order to obtain an even edge. That worked. However as the ailerons are moulded into the lower wing half, I now have overly thick trailing edges there! Not much I can do about that except round them off to make them less obvious.

50100690006_5e21c501a5_b.jpg

That done, the next job was to give the pre assembled parts a wave with the hairy stick.

50100109448_5c882cca8b_b.jpg

50100109343_0655880260_b.jpg

and then button up the fuselage.

50100915567_e862c40c32_b.jpg

Since the wings were now together, I might as well stick them to the fuselage...

50100915692_67887e2982_b.jpg

and the tailplanes too.

Good grief! I have a mostly built Defiant!!

You will note that I have chopped out the wing tip landing light positions too. Scrap clear sprue will be added later.

Finally, I promised you a picture of the Almark transfers

50100690046_f10a204dae_b.jpg

I only intend to use the codes and the speculative ‘Cock of the North’ motif. All other markings will be from the Airfix kit. Not sure about the size/style of the serials though! Photos of other aircraft near that serial don’t show them to be much more conventional in style. What do you think?

That’s all today. Gotta pace myself🤣

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 10

Right then, after a short hiatus I’m back.

Latest modelling session comprised mainly of gentle rubbing down and polishing of the seams to remove any signs of the join, not that there was much in the first place. There was the odd rescribing of panel lines that spanned the the joins.

Minor surgery was also needed. Not sure why this (refuelling cap?) is here but I can’t see it standing proud of the wing surface on any photos. If there is one, I’ll describe it.

50108452232_1385536c91_b.jpg

Now here is a nice still taken from the video in an earlier post (happy to remove it if there any copyright issues). Two things are apparent, the first being the oil leak which I’ll try and replicate later and secondly there is a small air scoop at the 5 o clock position behind the nose. A small detail, but as I had found it, I used a small scrap of plastic to replicate the feature.

50107641773_baea7b9a41_c.jpg

Here it is on the model.

50107642058_39def39492_b.jpg

This is also a good time to mention that in the undercarriage bay there is a lip between the wing and the bay insert. I’ve given it a layer of PVA to even it out. This avoids having to sand in awkward areas. I used this technique on my Matchbox Meteor to bridge the gap between the wheelwell walls and the upper wing surface. 

Also in the still, is something protruding from the port side cowling. Could this be a similar arrangement as is found on Hurricane (but not Spitfire) cowlings?

EDIT - doesn’t look like it. See the photo on this useful link.....

https://www.raf-in-combat.com/downloads/july-2015-bp-defiant-the-early-days-22-photos/

Although I’ve forgotten to take a picture, (next time I promise!), I also added a pair of round pieces of rod behind the pilot’s rear armour plate. These appear to be something to do with protection in the case of a roll-over(?). In the meantime, here is another still from the film. Look on the right of the picture.

50108549132_a6c10f3e5b_b.jpg

Looking at the Hendon example, it would appear that the port side one is missing? There is also another in between them but going the other way (I think). Maybe that was part of the mechanism for lowering the rear of the fairing when in flight?

I’ve also decided to start with the masking of the canopy parts. Looking at the glazing, most of it seems to be squares and rectangles and suitable for a home brew solution. Rather than try to get an exact size, I went for slightly undersized panels, so allowing me to fill-in with smaller scraps. Not looking forward to the turret though!

50107642088_d371b5c94e_b.jpg

As you can see, I’m going for the open/on the ground option. Doing all this before separating the parts from the sprue makes the task if not ‘easier’, then it’s certainly ‘not as difficult’! I promise that since the above photo was taken, I have made the masking edges less wonky.

And that’s it for now. More tomorrow (perhaps!).

Ta for looking by!

Trevor

• Like 5

Another little hiatus, but this afternoon’s session has been productive as I completed the masking for the transparencies.

The first bit I did was the fairing between the cockpit and turret. There are two triangular panels. Measuring them out, the base was one scale foot long and the maximum height six inches. It was then a matter of cutting at a diagonal to obtain the triangular shape. That was it for the starboard side, but there was a curved area on the port that also needed cutting out of the template. After a brief fitting to ensure it was overall the right shape, I then cut out a crescent shape. This was the result.

50122101233_095dba8d91_b.jpg

Not bad.

The windscreen was straightforward and this left me with the turret (gulp), by far the most complicated thing I’ve ever tried to mask. The whole of the bottom is solid black (all turrets were black, or Night to be particular). I had a vague plan to have the bottom line of each panel straight and to cut out the tape so that at least two sides were straight and then to fill in the rest. 

50122666536_c8aab6700f_b.jpg

I think I got away with it. I can fine tune any rough edges afterwards with a wooden cocktail stick.

All that took about an hour, a steady hand and a fresh blade! I called it a day after that, as my eyesight needs to recover 🧐

Finally, here is the ‘missing’ photo of the two struts I mentioned in the last session. I still need to mock up the piston or whatever that was used to raise and lower the fairing to allow the turret to operate.

50122101263_9eaefa8117_b.jpg

More tomorrow (maybe - household chores permitting!)

Thanks for looking

Trevor

• Like 5

@dogsbody Full marks for observation 👍🏻

Yup, I’d noticed that. When I originally painted it, I naturally thought like other manufacturers, the panel would be hidden underneath the cockpit coaming, but BP had to be different! It’ll get a splash of Citadel’s black at the appropriate time and that’ll be when I paint the turret.

Thanks for looking!

Trevor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Finally, here is the ‘missing’ photo of the two struts I mentioned in the last session. I still need to mock up the piston or whatever that was used to raise and lower the fairing to allow the turret to operate.

50122101263_9eaefa8117_b.jpg

Are you going to install the radio in there after you went to all the trouble to find those cutaways and schematics for me?

From experience the turret is a tight fit into its mounting ring to the extent that a coat or two of paint will prevent it seating properly.

Thanks for taking the hit and getting those bracing struts in before I did mine; now I know what they should look like.

@stever219 To be honest not much is visible through the two transparencies and I only went with the struts because they could be seen through them, so probably not. I’ll be sticking to the external appearance mostly.

Trevor