Tim's One That Got Away - COMPLETED

Introducing my build of Franz Von Werra's Bf109E, courtesy of the Airfix kit - that's been seen before.

Airfix-Bf109-E.jpg

Parts, some pre-painted.  The starter version of this kit cost me £5.50 at The Works in 2013, then swapped kits with @Hepster - I received this one.

Airfix-Parts.jpg

This being the only decal option,

Franz-Von-Werra.jpg

I've got and watched the DVD of his story.

The-One-That-Got-Away.jpg

And I found the book by Kendall Burt and James Leasor - whilst at school.  Oh where is that copy now?

Franz Von Werra was a colourful character - as described in Valkyrie's thread.  Prone to exageration? - that's one way of describing his character.

As I remember from the book: 

There was an attempt to run away to Amerika, and being returned to Germany.

Then the flamboyant fighter pilot with a pet lion-cub, wonder what became of that.

A lot of drawing attention to himself, like being towed around his airfield in a bath-tub - towed by a friend's sports car.

His picture, with the lion, and a broken finger, was on the cover of Signal Magazine. It was then used by RAF interrogators to identify Von Werra, following his capture.

There was also a controversial incident of falsifying RAF kills, and subsequent discrediting at interrogation - covered in the film.

As I recall, this was to move himself up the scoreboards, putting him in consideration for medals. . .

. . . and holders of those high medals were promised estates in the occupied territories. 

Thus exageration with the purpose of self-gain.  

For FvW's first escape he detached from a exercise-party, and was on the run in the Lake District for a few days.

His second attempt was a tunnel.  He got away to Hucknall, where he impersonated a downed Dutch airman - and almost stole a brand new Hurricane II for his return to Europe.

The third successful escape was by jumping from a train window, after being transported to Canada.

The film stops when FvW steals a boat, and crosses the frozen St Lawrence Seaway to the USA.

This is the start of another aspect of the story.

FvW makes his way to New York, where the German Embassy is under constant surveillance by the FBI. 

The USA is still neutral at the time, but it's just a matter of time . . .

And Canada has lodged an extradition order over that stolen rowing-boat!  Germans have few friends in North America.

In avoidance of a kidnap, and him being returned against his will to Canada, FvW is instructed to visit a specific cafe, where an envelope full of cash is secreted in the cistern of a toilet.

Then to disappear and make his way to Brazil, and then return to Germany.  Wiki is probably correct that this help came from the German Embassy, saying the Vice-Consulate.

I remember he had to obtain very used clothes, and impersonate a farmhand as he crossed into Mexico.

Returning to neutral Spain on the final TransAtlantic flying-boat service from Brazil, he then made his way to Italy, and finally Germany.

An exciting read - certainly it was that.

• Like 13

Hi Tim,

so this makes three of us with this very paint scheme.

The more the merrier!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 2

14 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

And I found the book by Kendall Burt and James Leasor - whilst at school.  Oh where is that copy now?

Franz Von Werra was a colourful character - as described in Valkyrie's thread.  Prone to exageration? - that's one way of describing his character.

As I remember from the book: 

There was an attempt to run away to Amerika, and being returned to Germany.

Then the flamboyant fighter pilot with a pet lion-cub, wonder what became of that.

A lot of drawing attention to himself, like being towed around his airfield in a bath-tub - towed by a friend's sports car.

His picture, with the lion, was on the cover of Signal Magazine. It was then used by RAF interrogators to identify Von Werra, following his capture.

There was also a controvertial incident of falsifying RAF kills, and subsequent discrediting at interrogation - covered in the film. 

For FvW's first escape he detached from a work-party, and was on the run in the Lake District for a few days.

His second attempt was a tunnel.  He got away to Hucknall, where he impersonated a downed Polish airman - and almost stole Hurricane for his return to Europe.

The third successful escape was by jumping from a train, after being transported to Canada.

The film stops when FvW steals a boat, and crosses the frozen St Lawrence seaway to the USA.

This is the start of another aspect of the story.

FvW makes his way to New York, where the German Embassy is under constant surveylance by the FBI. 

The USA is still neutral at the time, but it's just a matter of time . . .

And Canada has lodged an extradition order over that stolen rowing-boat!  Germans have few friends on North America.

In avoidance of a kidnap, and him being returned to Canada, FvW is instructed to visit a specific cafe, where an envelope full of cash is secreted in the cistern of a toilet.

Then to disappear and make his way to Brazil, and then return to Germany.

I remember he had to obtain very used clothes, and impersonate a farmhand as he crossed into Mexico.

Returning to neutral Spain on the final TransAtlantic flying-boat service from Brazil, he then made his way to Italy, and finally Germany.

An exciting read - certainly it was that. 

The one thing you missed out was he was killed later in the war. If he had stayed in Canada he would have lived a full life. Escaping is not always a good thing. 

• Like 3

My good friend Hepster researched this aircraft, coming up with these conclusions:- which is how I plan to complete.

I think this is as it was shot down.

I have found a photo of FvW with his lion-cub, without the nose differences.

Aircrew-Luftwaffe-ace-JG3-pilot-Franz-vo

The lighter cowling is simply newer and cleaner than the rest of the plane - it is still RLM 65. The RLM71/02 on top of the cowling does not match, it has a softer edge than the stuff behind. The canopy does not have the armour plate panel behind, which makes life easier. The air intake under the nose is missing a splitter plate, because it is missing on the Hendon example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Greg Law said:

The one thing you missed out was he was killed later in the war. If he had stayed in Canada he would have lived a full life. Escaping is not always a good thing. 

His briefings to the German staff, after returning to Germany, about how he was treated as a prisoner is said to have led to better treatment of captured allied pilots. But yeah, he should’ve stayed in Rio.

• Like 1

Hi there,

good progress!!!

This 109 scrubs well.

Just one thing: no yellow tips on Luftwaffe propellers.

Keep having fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

Airbrushed the wings with Humbrol HN2 dark grey.

Airfix-HN2-Grey.jpg

Then knocked out this mask for the wing and tail camo

Airfix-Mask.jpg

Which I airbrushed XtraColor Dunklegrun.

Airfix-P.jpg

Airfix-S.jpg

Showing how I did the nose.  The lighter cowling was hard masked with an independant demarcation level to the fuselage.

Then that intermediate area wasn't masked.  Feathered airbrush edge.

• Like 7

This is looking good!

It gives me an idea of what mine will look like... I like it!

JR

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

Sorry to say this but I think you may have the same problem with the prop as on your other build. The instructions show the prop with equal taper/curve on both sides so it would not matter which way round it went, but it actually seems to have more curve on one side than the other, and the leading edge is usually the straighter one AFAIK.

Hope I am wrong.

Pete

• Sad 1

I didn't notice the prop chaps,   but it is pretty weedy.  We'll have to put up with it now.

I'm re-writing history that the Luftwaffe came second in this battle 'cos their props were rubbish.

Anyway, I've fitted the canopy, framed it and completed the decals.

Airfix-C.jpg

Leaving the model looking like this.

Airfix-P.jpg

Airfix-S.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hi Tim,

this 109 is looking just fine. Great job all around!

Just one small detail, not about the prop, but the canopy.

There are no canopy frames in the middle of the opening section of the cockpit, both on the sides and on the top. This is just where two sheets of perspex overlap a little bit. Like sliding windows...

Anyway, not a train smash in my eyes, but worth a mention for the next E-4!

I like it!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2020 at 7:42 PM, jean said:

There are no canopy frames in the middle of the opening section of the cockpit, both on the sides and on the top. This is just where two sheets of perspex overlap a little bit. Like sliding windows...

I've taken the side frames off - raising this build from the depths of a train-wreck, to the shallows of a car-crash.

Anyway undercarriage

Af-Undercarriage.jpg

and completion.  I'll post better gallery photos tomorrow.

Airfix-Messerschmitt-Bf109-E4-P.jpg

Airfix-Messerschmitt-Bf109-E4-S.jpg

• Like 8

Hi Tim,

great result! It does look like the few photos I have found of that aircraft, so a job well done!

Are you starting another GB?

Great show!

JR

• Thanks 1

Liking that, good job. Such a confusing subject this aircraft...spinner colour, cowling colour, cockpit armour, canopy framing, white wing tips, underside only? 
i like your version 

• Thanks 1