Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

31 minutes ago, giemme said:

Does that apply to human body parts too? I could use a straighter nose.... :rofl:

Amazing job with the new parts, Bill! :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

Yes, they’re called cosmetic surgeons 👺😷🤧

AW

• Haha 2

There are many roads to Nirvana, one passes by fire, some by water and all are rocky.

There is a small and quite prominent oval-ish vent on  the port side above the ramp, this passes through the additional heat insulation into the fuselage and I did wonder about how I was going to put it in.

I know how about a 'decal' the right shape?

A black decal on a glossy black shiny surface which gleams?

Happen not...

OK it seems the best choice takes me along the fiery path, luckily I have just the thing

P1010216.jpg

Not cleaned up yet but I am happy with that, meet my new-ish soldering iron with its very thinnest pointy tip

The iron was worked around in an oval pattern just where the vent had to go and its resulting debris is sitting there on the heat proof pad

P1010219_(2).jpg

Can you see the ones I haven't used yet?

P1010218-2.jpg

Yep, most of 'em.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, perdu said:

The iron was worked around in an oval pattern just where the vent had to go and its resulting debris is sitting there on the heat proof pad

A braver man than I, but yet another technique that has to be tried one day. I'll store that one in "Bills hot tips" ............... did you see what I did there?

Terry

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, chrislowe said:

I hear @CedB is happy enough to perform surgery on lower limbs..?

Surely no more than rumours I hear.

I am informed that he no longer indulges in those affairs, at least not any more...

Not since Macho Grande.

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, perdu said:

Not since Macho Grande.

Apologies folks, I am reliably informed that Macho Grande was Ted not Ced

Whaddamistakatamaka!

I didnt think this shape was going to be as awkward as it...

P1010225-2.jpg

I refer m'luds to the radar device under each sponson

P1010226-2.jpg

Easy peasey I thought.

Wasn't.

Anyway happily I am approaching the time to add all of the assorted greeblies so beloved of we hellochopter fans

I have begun the list, thirty four bits to make or add, plus ancillaries for the additions (plus...)

I could still be some time...

I see clearly why @SimPlai is using his CAD 3D printing skills on them, his are magnificent.

• Like 8

On 11/09/2020 at 13:35, chrislowe said:

I hear @CedB is happy enough to perform surgery on lower limbs..?

A mere amateur compared to our perdu! 

Now he's using a soldering iron on plastic

Amazing stuff Bill :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/8/2020 at 9:15 AM, perdu said:

Out of deep gloom something moves into the light.

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

I had to ask myself whether leaving Merlin open to even more additions and subtractions would satisfy my yearnings...

And decided no, this model needs finishing. Even though it will not be gracing the halls at SMW in November. Yes I have reluctantly informed my club branch that Bill ain'tn't going this year if it goes ahead.

I am hoping for a modicum of normality next year, so the builds go on.

A moral tale.

When you begin the inevitable clamping operation involved closing up a prized model, first have both pairs of Berna clamps to hand.

Do not, I implore you, start applying Tamiya Green Cap at one end making sure that the rear ramp is fitted and operable and clamp up the tail end then realise you have not seen the other clamp for a few weeks...

P1010013.jpg

So while that decides if it is happy to remain 'Two Becomes One' I opened up the BM Walkaround sets.

Augusta Westland AH-1 Apache

And began examining this again

P1010014.jpg

I am tying to get a fix on the shapes under the PPP blobs, I refuse to give up on it

P1010015.jpg

To get this

AH%2520detail%25205.jpg&key=2d934fda63bb

and

AH%2520detail%25207.jpg&key=4ff51fc48cc3

AH%2520detail%252018.jpg&key=8a0ddef92e3

There is enough great photography from Gary Steadman in there to make the awfulness disappear , thanks Gary and Julien.

Aha what light from yonder...

I hear a song and take my leave good fellows, more later one hopes.

Ah looks like Hangar 7 .... or as I used to say 7 Hangar...just to wind the pongos up 😁

• Haha 1

I feel that there will soon be paint, at the moment I am trying to get excited at greeblifying the Merlin-Norge.

P1010229.jpg

T'ain'tn't easy but has to be done, I suppose it might be easier if I knew what all these devices are for but I maintain a semblance by saying these are for "to go there and there" like the camera mounting frame from 0.03 brass tubing which sits round the streamlined side fairing

A small brass etchy piece from my Re-Heat switches and knobs panel set fills the.plug in place. on the fairing  

At least there are some excellent pictures around to copy and paste from

P1010228.jpg

For instance I expect the brownygreen box under here will be sort of Dopplerish and I know the oddball shaped white curved boxes normally carry searchlights.

The pair of hexagonal misshapes are radar devices according to my guru @SimPlai.

He draws them and I try to make them in tiny scale well enough to pay tribute to his 'lovely' radome.

Not as good as his but in tiny scale most peeps won't even notice (he said, fooling himself. Not)

Not clearly visible here are the drawn on lines to which I will be tooling out the undersponson cutaways too

(it all makes work for the working stiff to do)

P1010230.jpg

Some prominent roof vents have been added (cannibalised Sparrow missiles from several different Phantom models provide countless spare vents and spikes) and the cable cutters from the kit are being added too.

OK ciao for now.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Greebles wobble but they don’t fall down. Nice work.

As long as they don't fall off  ;)

More white bits but with a touch darker

Grey Aeroclub struts (thanks J) provided the basic strut for the 'white' hoist/winch (Hoist - winch- discuss) for the recovery side of the plane

Cut a length of the aerofoil section and flatten its end with a flame, hence-like.

P1010232.jpgWhilst preparing a section of thick sprue/runner (don't discuss) for action

Discard that piece of wimpy runner for a thicker section from the Airfix Catalina and file some shape into it with the dear old sihrsc  then stick  the strut section to it.

P1010239.jpg

Add a touch (or two) of Mr Dissolved Putty and make the fairing in for it and drill it to take the fairlead for the hoist to run through

P1010234.jpg

P1010235.jpg

Tidy this up (tomorrow) then begin working up the Black One

There are two rescue hoists on Norwegian machines, the black one is totally different to the white one  :(

• Like 6

Well?

THIS YEAR?

Nice thought anyway G thank you sir.

Johnny this do?

P1010242.jpg

Why do desktop machines need so many blarry wires huh?

Anyroad.

P1010243.jpg

And

P1010244.jpg

A set of additional strakes bedeck the starboard sponson, no, I dont know why either.

Don't I say do not look at the radome too closely the supergelglue set all of a sudden and I was scared to try fighting it off, I will readjust the look of it with gentle blade work later

Most of us wouldnt notice what happened but as you know it is warts and all in my builds, so I tell y'all.

Still lots of rear mounted greeblies going on here soon but since I like this view, you gotta get another butcher's too

P1010251.jpg

The stretcher inside 'there' is bugging me...

Again

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

Well?

THIS YEAR?

Relatively to models, of course. And one has to think positive, right? :) 

This thing really has a lot of greebles hanging out, makes me dizzy... 😵

Ciao

• Haha 1

Some small bits for the rearmost mounted hoist (winch) nearly ready to cobble together

P1010255.jpg

A bit more

P1010256.jpg

OCD has me trying harder (too hard?) to get prototypical...

Oh well, I make it near enough Friday evening meal time.

Tonight Beef or Chicken Chop Suey trickling gently into a bowl of chips, plenty of vinegar.

Optional extra soy sauce...

Yummy!

• Like 5