Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

On 7/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, perdu said:

P1010072.jpg

P1010074.jpg

There are some decent colour pictures of British Army and Dutch Apaches to compare with look

P1010075.jpg

How have I missed this - until now.  Following with interest.

I won this kit in the Tombola at IPMS Avon show last year,

Italeri-Apache-Longbow.jpg

and also have the reference material.

EdMacy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hmm must search the declassified online footage

I wonder if yours has the same skinny sponsons as mine, imagine it will have considering mine has No 080 on the serial number too

Any road up, welcome alongside.

Be prepared to cast off when this all gets a bit silly and embarrassing, it will.

Anyway, I have persevered with Perfect Plastic Putty simply because in an asthma riddled household any filling substance that doesn't trigger "Fee Fie Fo Fum I smell The Stink Of A Model Being Built" is a winner

Today's WIP pic

P1010138.jpg

From photographs it is difficult to see how big the back end bulges are on those sponsons but taking into consideration the panel sizes on the shape change there is a huge lump of it to add.

So I did.

Anyone with clearer photographs than the dark and meagre 'just behind the stub wing' ones I already have is entreated, please let me see 'em.

• Like 8

Working on both models in one day, is that permitted?

Anyway the starboard sponson is almost right now and the acceptable amount of minerals is sitting awaiting the loving tenderness of sihrsc

P1010139.jpg

This much seems about right, just a tad of further attention needed this side then it's the turn of the port bulge after dinner

Or tomorrow, after all, Univ's on.

And in a similar shot but highlighted, the new overhead lockers begin to unfold

P1010140.jpg

I have done some strained comparisons with published photos, I think the console depth is about right

The Radar/FLIR man's seat looks as if it will need Alan Ced or Tony to tack it together, I rather think the webbed metal framework deserves soldering  not cutting crudely out of polycard  

So we will see tomorrow...                                                      

• Like 6

A rare (from me) salute to Itarevell

These two halves are just closed up without adhesives of any sort.

I have had finished models that didn't feel so solid, the two halves clicked and sat happy together (We old chickens hear a song by the Turtles)

The Belvedere even now feels as if a strong draught through the windows would split the halves again!

P1010146.jpg

I have been working the interiors into some kind of shape and decided to give the seat frame for the radar guy a tryout in plastic, I am a plastic modeller after all

P1010153.jpg

Once the seat pads are onboard this will be refined slightly but to my eye it looks quite like the only picture I can find of the seat frame.

It'll probably do

I have made the basic internal trim and structural fittings along the roof too

P1010158.jpg

P1010157.jpg

There are a few more fiddly bits then the side walls get theirs.

This is tedious and makes me unhappy

But it seems we are getting there

P1010160.jpg

Won't be long

P1010161.jpg

Big day today, we are going shopping.

• Like 9

On 7/21/2020 at 9:34 AM, perdu said:

But it seems we are getting there

P1010160.jpg

Bill, I don't have any pictures that are better than the one you posted earlier, but I do have a 1:48 D in the stash. Now bearing in mind that it's Revell's one, so no guarantees, it looks  to me like you're on the right track.

IMG_20200722_093925

Hope that helps

• Thanks 1

Let me know if you need any pictures from different angles. 

I noticed that on the starboard sponson, there's an angular bulge towards the forward end that's missing from the 1:72 version. I'm sure you know about that already, just thought I'd mention it.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 1

I had a low output day yesterday, nice too.

But this a.m I have smoothed out much of the PPPcyano blob on the Apache that needs attention (still) to get the right shape and had a small fettle with the radar guy's seat frame down the front of the cabin in the AW101.

The next time you see this it should be black to represent the magalloy castings the seat sits upon.

Plasticard frames with wire added to become the stiffening webs cast into the seat frame structure.

P1010162.jpg

P1010163.jpg

The upper picture shows the side that will be visible through the open front cabin door.

There will be structural frames across the seat frame for lateral stiffness then it will be time to add the seat cushions.

Decisions decisons...

Shall I make three of the all singing all dancing bubble observer guys seats separately or try to cast them?

For the answers to today's questions and more questions to answer tune in to the next episode of So..

• Like 11

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Shall I make three of the all singing all dancing bubble observer guys seats separately or try to cast them?

This one looks pretty darn good to me, I'd say cast'em .... :clap: 

Ciao

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyOD said:

In 1/72 scale? Do you have superhuman vision? 😉

What?

Couldn't you see 'em?

Oh...

Let's try again.

P1010165.jpg

P1010166.jpg

I didn't think it worth making a cast for this one but the other three 'luxury' chairs might be decent candidates for a latexy job.

• Like 8

A picture to aid scale dimensioning

P1010168.jpg

The seat alongside a coin from my birth year, two beautiful shillings.

And for non-avoirdupois counters.

Also with a pee, a one pee.

P1010170.jpg

And courtesy of the Bilvedere a helicopter driver.

Now, where did I leave that pub?

• Like 8

I haven't a clue what you're making Bill, but it all looks to your usual high standard.

if you need any Merlin reference pictures I have some here, use as you wish,

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=56270329%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&text=merlin&view_all=1

33839849982_b135df7215_b.jpg

Merlin HC.4 ZJ127 L by James Thomas, on Flickr

Oh, and Apaches, I have a load more which aren't on Flickr, let me know if you want a particular angle

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=56270329%40N08&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=apache

9415336059_be9497e876_b.jpg

Apache AH.1 ZJ198 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, perdu said:

P1010170.jpg

And courtesy of the Bilvedere a helicopter driver.

Didn’t know the Merlin is equipped with a chaise longe for the crew!

AW

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

I haven't a clue what you're making Bill, but it all looks to your usual high standard.

Phew, I thought it was just me! The standard is what we have come to expect, but it's still (always actually) most impressive.

You are becoming the go to thread for anyone and anything related to excellent heli builds Bill.

Terry

aka envious of deepest Dorset.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gentles, thanks to you all.

The next, horrible job before I can close up is fitting the windows.

I know from experience that Italeri gives us very clear glazing panels which sadly sit behind a recess in the fusebody that makes them sit too far back.

The proper windowing has glazing sitting very flush to the skin which the kit does not allow.

When I redesign the kit for them I will alter the recesses to have flush fitting, 'til then I will simply have to shrink the glazing panels.

First one done, took an hour.

I may be some time...

• Like 7