Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

This very clean AW101 shows how smooth the skin is, and unlike the Merlin HM3 I modelled a year or so ago (it flies when you're having fun dunnit?) has very few sticky out bits

P1010120.jpg

Which means that the Italeri method of moulding each side in four halves (doh) is trouble stored for posterity

I have added the ramp/tail section to the front and have been working on making the outside skin as regular as on the above picture

P1010119.jpg

and

P1010121.jpg

I'm planning to use the ability of PPP when wet sanded being able to spread into section forms and take away the ridiculous changes of level the separate side panels method forces upon the innocent modeller.

No I do NOT mean me, my innocence flew away seventy years ago, tssk.

Obviously I mean you dear friends whose innoicence is not yet AS sullied as mine

Mind you I am still pondering the other side, grumphy as buggery with few level patches to file down to.  :(

P1010078.jpg

Still pondering that one...

• Like 9

Really great job Dear colleague !!

Innocence ?? What is innocence ?? 57 years and still searching for it !! :cheers:

I must confess that I'm a bit lost in all these versions of the basically same chopper...:frantic:

Retirement is now nearing for me... A little 7 years... And you know what ?? I'll be glad to enjoy it !!

I appreciate the way you make your bubbles, I've tried moons ago but I've not been succesfull...😩

what did you use to heat the plastic ? Steam or bare flame ?

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, perdu said:

I'm planning to use the ability of PPP when wet sanded being able to spread into section forms and take away the ridiculous changes of level the separate side panels method forces upon the innocent modeller.

That sounds like a very sensible approach - PPP is really top stuff for this kind of job :thumbsup: 

Out of curiosity, are going to reinstate the riveting or will you fill them all in?

Ciao

10 minutes ago, Brandy said:

"moulding each side in four halves"

Huh???

My maths was never very good but still.....:whistle:

Ian 

OK Ian I get that, in my defence may I say about addinup I wasn't in that day.

In fact I wasn't in on many days, can't change that now sorry to say.  😲

30 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Really great job Dear colleague !!

Innocence ?? What is innocence ?? 57 years and still searching for it !! :cheers:

I must confess that I'm a bit lost in all these versions of the basically same chopper...:frantic:

Retirement is now nearing for me... A little 7 years... And you know what ?? I'll be glad to enjoy it !!

I appreciate the way you make your bubbles, I've tried moons ago but I've not been succesfull...😩

what did you use to heat the plastic ? Steam or bare flame ?

Sincerely.

CC

I use my recently acquired hot air blower/paint stripper.

I put the blank for the bubble shape on top of an open tube which then allows the plastic to deform and become the bubble.

Wear a protective glove and hold a strip of old discarded PETg over the hot air stream from the blower and watch it go floppy.

Drop it across the mould hole and whilst it is still soft use the former tool to push the bubble into life.

Easy as usual.

I do not do 'difficult'!

18 minutes ago, giemme said:

That sounds like a very sensible approach - PPP is really top stuff for this kind of job :thumbsup: 

Out of curiosity, are going to reinstate the riveting or will you fill them all in?

Ciao

Most of the rivets are very tiny and for now I intend to see how it looks in primer.

I do have some strips of decal rivets it might be fun to try, but equally it might not be fun at all 😵

Luckily rivets are few and far between on the AW101 so it's possible they might get left behind in the rush...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Giorgio, I use these sanding sticks of a fairly harsh grade

P1010125.jpg

They work really nicely when dampened, gently sand and do not get too clogged up

Just indulged myself, asked Simone to make the nose radome in 1/72 scale

It has to beat trying to deduce the shape of a black thing hidden by its actual blackness

I have just faired in the interior window holes so that the back end can be open and show the medical unit alongside the port fuselage above the stretcher.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Interior work has begun, radar/FLIR console awaits paint and refinements

P1010127.jpg

Internal panels with fillets of glue to set and remain flexible ready to refine them

P1010128.jpg

OK let that all dry out and look for the little chopter.

Where did I put it?

• Like 12

Painted the Leonardo internal primer colours inside the rotor head, some left in the Ultra so I used the primer as a discloser

Not too bad for a first dusty coat

P1010129.jpg

Interior is USAF light gray, pics later.

P1010131.jpg

Later folks, later.

• Like 12

A trip to Kitkea got me the hyper tv console so the observatory man can watch the Magic Roundabout and follow Greatest Police Chases in Scandinavia

Painted up as much as it is going to be I don't think an unmanned console would be receiving live tv if there was no-one in the aeroplane so it is all black screens in there

P1010135.jpg

There are several comfy chairs to make now once I find the allen keys amongst the forest of packaging all over the floor.

More later on the saga

Also got as much of the inner walls done as I intend to

P1010136.jpg

I am having rethinks about the USAF grey, too light I think...

Watch this space.

• Like 9

I know the console top isn't true but as I may also have to make the console deeper I have left that for the final trim session.

I was looking through Big H's Merlin list when I saw a set of decals to cover the Norwegian AW101s so I ordered them.

Arrived this morning but frankly not what I hoped.

The Tail should have a lion crest on each side and there are two of these crests but sadly both are identical where they ought to be ' handed' with the lion holding an axe which should point towards the front on both sides

Should

Does not

Thinking is occurring...

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, perdu said:

ought to be ' handed' with the lion holding an axe which should point towards the front

Presumably the ones you have are correct for one side, can you scan that one, flip it around a vertical axis and print it?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, chrislowe said:

The big one's looking good Bill, but I'm looking forward to the Apache updates too...

Nudge.

Coming along quietly in the background, but not yet a decent thing to photographise.

• Like 2

My dear young thing, what a pleasure to enjoy your choppery. Your intestinal fortitude is far greater than mine - seeing the Italeri Apache, I would have run gibbering for the hills and bought the Academy kit.

The outside of the big cop ter looks marvellous after the wet rub down, it's great to learn new tricks even for an old dog like me. Ruff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DonH said:

My dear young thing, what a pleasure to enjoy your choppery. Your intestinal fortitude is far greater than mine - seeing the Italeri Apache, I would have run gibbering for the hills and bought the Academy kit.

The outside of the big cop ter looks marvellous after the wet rub down, it's great to learn new tricks even for an old dog like me. Ruff.

Don I might very well have done the same but it was a gift given in innocence and with love. I wont throw the girl's caring attention away that easily.

We've been an item since '65

I have spent an hour or two this a.m. settling for fettling the Apache

Last gasp before the milliput comes out this afternoon.

If this agglomerrate of PPP and cyano sets hard enough to be mechanically handled it will stay other wise it is Dol(gellau) time.

P1010137.jpg

And now, time for a breakfast coffee...

• Like 11

1 hour ago, hendie said:

But this is a Bill build and as we all know

Anything could happen in the next half hour! (with apologies to Commander Shaw of Stingray)

Martian 👽