Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

Do noy waste time and energy using Maskol in a cold garage.

Just saying

I have masked the dayglo areas now ready for the touch-in spray of Tamiya Gloss white

16077879612808796605213539822063.jpg

The problem is, do it in the cold and it will never 'go off' as I discovered when I turned to model around on its turnspit  :(

16077880218145984534573153344859.jpg

Lucky thing is, when it dried it was easy to rub off the surface when I was ready and could be readily cleaned up.

Phew.

As you can clearly see the paint on that side really needs a fresh coat of glossy anyway.  :( 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, perdu said:

Do noy waste time and energy using Maskol in a cold garage.

I'll drink to that. Remember the mess it made in the cockpit of my T21 .... UGH!

Why do I like the shape of the Merlin so much.....🤔

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Can anyone see the pics in Bill's last post?

I had trouble for a while, same with another thread that used Postimage. I can see them now though. This seems to happen a bit lately with anyone hosting on Postimage?

Terry

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:
1 hour ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Can anyone see the pics in Bill's last post?

I had trouble for a while, same with another thread that used Postimage. I can see them now though. This seems to happen a bit lately with anyone hosting on Postimage?

Terry

Yep Postimage keeps throwing a wobbly. Sometimes when I try to view my own Postimage uploads I can't.

I'll put my tinfoil helmet on Bill and ask a stupid question: is it not possible to rig up a temporary electric heater in the garage to briefly take the chill out the air?

• Like 2

Sorted now, have you tried masking up to the tape with....tinfoil?

It confirms well to shapes, easily covers large areas, then just tape the edges?

Pics working now, BTW

The MIG liquid mask is IMO a far better product than maskol...

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up with the day glo wonder. Shame about those leaks but it looks like you have it sorted. I always find maskol a little hot and miss. Being totally controversial I’d use the decal. At least give it a go. You could cut around the bigger greeblies and touch up later? But that’s me. Happy new year old chap. 😇

Johnny

• Thanks 1

Happy ditto Johnny, the decal route tempts and worries in equal measure mate.

If anyone wonders why it's taken me a while to get back on it it is acos I have decided to let all the volatility go off from the dayglo.

First rewhitening efforts still have a little glow of fluo seeping through in a couple of places so I want it to settle before I come back at it.

And it's monkeys in that garage just now.

😲

• Like 3

Trying a repaint of the dayglo-ghosted white today, could well be time to whip the masking off tomorrow.

1609942551600613294362259231488.jpg

I think the ghosting has gone.

Tomorrow we will see.

16099425859474669534294689275819.jpg

So on the morrow I will find out what I have done wrong this time.

Another old friend had a little remedial effort ready for me to crack on with her.

The Queen Of The Skies will be ready for her red bottom tomorrow too.

16099426159081482596737162482191.jpg

Soon be cracking on with her too, hoorah!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Blimey doesn't time fly?

It's 1045 on Tuesday and after prompting from Steve I bit a bullet, or two actually, retrieved the Merlin from the freezer and de-masked her.

A distressingly poor paint job which shows signs of being fixable.

16110529226663137126267689945064.jpg

16110529659647384075330413779049.jpg

Decision time.

Work this one to mask the shiny black bits or... head on over to Balsall Heath and build wheels for my buzz?

• Like 8

I think mine has thicker paint than yours Steve, not sure where i am going to with regards to the finish yet.

I am masking for the glossy black and I fancy ignoring any distractions too soon, let's see how it looks then and make a decision.

My white to dayglo interface has several issues I need to address later too.

:(

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

the 'like' is more for your effort than for the results Bill.   it's coming along piece by piece, and battle by tiny battle though.  The end result is going to be very striking with that color scheme and I'm sure you'll wrangle that black into submission. (you always do!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1