Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Thanks lads, coming together at last.

Now what is going on here?

16062179282156851465504915906471.jpg

I found I had a quiet moment in the old arm chair and had a little thunk.

What to do to improve the shining hour?

I know, try out the new masking tape from North Notts Models.

So I did, very good adhesion and nice straight edges (rather useful with chevrons to impart) and keen to cover.

1606217969741330004440957891489.jpg

I should be laying colour later, if the temperature climbs to frigid or above.

How does I do that then with fluorescent colours to use?

Spray the white-to-be-dayglo areas with white first to catch as much seepage as possible first, then blow light coats of the dayglo, Dockerglaze, onto the model.

This might take until tomorrow or even longer.

During which time the Apache will be lining up for a photoshoot.

Same as here by the look of things !

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whilst its nice and bright, it may be a little too bright? this was a mist coat of Vajello Air Fluorescent orange, overcoated with Halfords rattle can orange

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb
  • Like 5

That works Steve but I hope to get a 'sharper' Dayglo and at present I am unhappy with my little bottle of RAL2005 from Vallejo, it refuses to mix with its carrier.
I may have to leave it until I try somebody else's Dayglo next Thursday when the essential local model shop is open.

(I must add that the actual pigment, even in its immiscible form is exactly what I hoped to find, where did I put that Humbrol bottle?)

• Like 1

Well here we are with the WAH-64/Westland AH1 Apache

I have gone far enough and I do know a minor alteration I COULD make, but won't.

P1010172.jpg

The gun's done and the sensors are all done.

The recognition/nav lights that Italeri gave me have been enhanced and I have finished with it.

P1010175.jpg

I still have an Italeri-copter to finish and there are no more Italeri 'copters in my forward planning, this will be it.

Bye 'pache, tara.

P1010176.jpg

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, perdu said:

That works Steve but I hope to get a 'sharper' Dayglo and at present I am unhappy with my little bottle of RAL2005 from Vallejo, it refuses to mix with its carrier.
I may have to leave it until I try somebody else's Dayglo next Thursday when the essential local model shop is open.

(I must add that the actual pigment, even in its immiscible form is exactly what I hoped to find, where did I put that Humbrol bottle?)

My Vallejo Model Air RAL2005 is very thin, almost opaque. But it sprays straight from the bottle once mixed (i add a mixer ball to each one) the Vallejo RAL2005 Model Colour looks thick enough to brush!

I've used the Halfords before on a RNoA Seaking so i know its a safe bet!

Nice Apache BTW, bit too small for my fat fingers these days!

Edited by IV(AC)Plumb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

I still have an Italeri-copter to finish and there are no more Italeri 'copters in my forward planning, this will be it.

Bye 'pache, tara.

P1010176.jpg

Proverbial silk purse from sow's ear. KUDOS :worthy:  :worthy:  :worthy: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Superb Bill, she turned out really well. Great job! :) 

(Did you forget to paint the tailwheel tyre or is it the pictures? Or is it my ignorance?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding Apache, great build and stunning paintwork as we all knew it would be Bill.

Your 101 is coming together nicely as well

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

Hi Bill,

your Apache is superb!!! :worthy:

Not an easy subject and a difficult camouflage, which could easily risk to  become anonymous or toyish, but you did a fabulous job and got the best from this kit!!!

The worn effect you obtained is absolutely fantastic and she really looks like the real thing!!!

The launchers make her look really aggressive, which is exactly what you expect from a machine like this.

Bravissimo!!!!!:clap2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks my dear fellows, appreciated.

I'm glad somebody liked it anyway on with the show.

Dayglo, thoroughly horrid stuff to model.

Especially if  the paint has gone gooey in the pot(s).

Still I can lay in a thin base coat with Humbrol 209, my Vallejo has turned to scummy junk.

16064038239344847239760158818758.jpg

Shocking junk but the only game in town until the shops open...

1606403858982893964788962296615.jpg

I will leave that to dry/cure/fester until Thursday, my LMS is closed on Wednesdays.  :(

Then I will attempt to buy a decent pot of Dockerblaze.

• Like 4

These colours are not easy!

Anyway she looks nice and...pink, expecially aftergetting used to the Apache's darkness!

Look forward to see how she'll turn out once you get the proper colour!

They'll be a nice and pair!

Keep going Bill!!!:clap2::goodjob:

• Thanks 1

I have not been entirely idle waiting for the shop to open and sell me more fluorescent paint, I have been drawing up the plans for this.

f8d7531984ec4f30de2c01ae534743d8.jpg

With or without passengers huh?

(No forget it, bare seats are the orders of  the day)

I found plans for London horse buses online but they do not actually have the scales on the main pages, just some sheets do have scale rules on them but are mostly different sizes to the main plan page.

My head runs and hide from numbers at the best of times, however I am getting the separate pages downsized to 1/32 scale now.

That will do, just need to decide  four windows or three?

10318-0.jpg

Looks like Sunday best on display...

• Like 9

A school mate lived on Stratford Road, Sparkbrook and we used to play there.  In later years my wife and I would travel back to look at the wonderfully coloured clothes that could be bought there nowadays.

Mike

• Like 1

Couldn't open the link Bill. Similar pictures I've seen circa 1890s mostly have three, but good to get the view of an expert though. Perhaps post a request in the vehicle discussion thread? Apologies in advance for posting this (not wishing to take over your thread), and the fact that it is not aircraft related, but couldn't resist the piccie of Moseley Tram Depot:

Moseley-Trams.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A tram is in my future Tom. Nice shot of Moseley garage too.

If I can work out an overall length I quite like the three window ones, more Brummie so to speak.

I've a nice shot of a bus in Bearwood like those ones.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

I have not been entirely idle waiting for the shop to open and sell me more fluorescent paint, I have been drawing up the plans for this.

Where’s the rotor head?  I guess it’s such an old photograph that the shutter speed couldn’t cope.

Lovely job with the ‘Patchy; your usual apparently effortless ability to modify sows’ ears.  Bostin’, as I believe they say in your neck of the woods (indeed I note that Tomo already has).

• Haha 4

A horse drawn bus would make a beautiful model Bill, nice idea. Then you speak of trams, perfectly wonderful. Deep in my stash, some of which goes back years, I have a smallish collection of white metal bus models. Must dig them out as I'm sure I once had a tram in there. I know for sure there is a half finished Thomas Tilling ST open staircase bus. Got me thinking that could resurrect as a WIP over in the vehicle section.

Glad to see the 101 masked up for dayglo. My Vallejo dayglo went to gloop also, so the T31 and Avon Sabre got good old Revell enamel, and my Norwegian C-47 used MRP's wonderful Luminous Orange RAL 2005. Also have their red RAL 3024. Amazing stuff, thoroughly recommend you try it.

Terry

Stratford Rd is now a multi-cultural paradise.

End of PC advert, but one thing I recognise about this picture is that bend in the road.

And the very stately architecture thereof.

This is a short distance from the Brummagem end of Stratford Rd and the row of shops after the bend is the location of the very first dedicated model shop I ever entered back in the sixties.

Partway along that row of Victorian shops was a narrow frontage shop that could almost have been imagined by Terry Pratchett.

Walk inside The Model Aerodrome and you were surrounded by rows of shelves of models with oddball names, Lindbergh, Aurora and countless others.

I was almost scared inside as a very young kid, there was so much that could overwhelm my senses there.

And the Pratchett-like sense of more shop back into the distance.

The 'Drome had two shops along that row with one on a corner that was more like a normal shop albeit a normal shop displaying models made by geniuses and experts to standards one could not dream of attaining in the glass display shelves by the windows.

Happy days from when Birmingham had many local model emporia, unlike now. :(

• Like 3