Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

That is why I use the thicker polycard Crisp, symmetry lies deep within extra filing-off material.

No pics this a.m. just a few random piles of polystyrene dust all over the shop.

Laters

Hmm, still air conditions for a couple of hours now.

Wonder what dramatic weather that presages?

• Like 4

P1010141.jpg

That bunch of extras from the out of production Armycast Apache Longbow set is mostly readily home-makable but will somebody tell me how I can make the CRV pods with their very distinctive round noses?

Please

Stumped as it is  :(

This picture shows the pods nicely (best I have found to date)

14336948827e1fbf9911b4f35a54aed0.jpg

The kit only had flat fronted  missile pods in it, not going to take the banana with that am I?

Pondering home brews but...

P1010172.jpg

?

P1010175.jpg

Nah, don't think so...

:(

• Like 6

Yeah sucker that is me

Round isnt the actual problem Johnny, round with holes symmetrically around the centre to give me 19 properly spaced missile ports is the problem.

Not REALLY worried, I'm getting there

• Like 2

The quest for CRV7 pods may be over, just found and ordered from Air-Graphics range of useful add-ons and the pods are listed (and ordered, did I just mention that?)

I dont feel a need to re-invent the wheel on this part of what was intended originally to be a quick build along the Norwegian Merlin which I expected to proceed stately like.

Glacially.

So today I hope to be getting the tail on the Merlin mayhaps, or painting the tail rotor

And wishing the rain would stop, I fancy a walk in the rain free air.

• Like 7

I did say glacially didn't I?

Oh well a small change to both, Merlin has the tail and canopy, oh yes sponsons too

P1010184.jpg

And Apache has a beefed up starb'd side sponson with additional appliqué as well as the rear side beefed up sides

And inside the Merlin canopy, sun screens in the canopy roof

P1010183.jpg

The canopy is held on with Gator's Thin, hope it does the trick, never used it for mission critical stuff before.

I am still not sure about the beefed up side pods on the WAH-64...

P1010186.jpg

They look TOO MUCH to my eye, thinking about this during a period of low-mojo.

The white areas atop the Merlin's rear are heat protection layers, what a pain, wish I had just used two or three layers of Tamiya Tape like I did on my first Merlin .

P1010361.jpg

But they are very prominent under the gloss black paint on the Norwegian birds, so...

• Like 9

On 9/3/2020 at 9:51 AM, perdu said:

Round isnt the actual problem Johnny, round with holes symmetrically around the centre to give me 19 properly spaced missile ports is the problem.

Not REALLY worried, I'm getting there

Sorry Bill. I don’t have anything quite like that. I seem to have quite a lot of seats and bits and bobs. If you need anything like that they’re yours.  I’m getting quite a little stash of 1/72 gents for our very own @CedB Too. 
Remember all progress is good progress. 🤩

Johnny

• Thanks 2

Well that didn't take long did it?

Ordered on Thursday delivered this morning

P1010188.jpg

I am a bit perturbed by the casting quality, I think my home brews are about this level of competence but the actual mastering is 'masterful' and of that I have no question.

I wonder if their Wildcat kit is better cast*, certainly hope so and do assume this is a result of mass production in a small scale process here.

*I hope so because it seems their Wildcat is the only game in town and I might be buying one.

🤔

• Like 6

1 hour ago, perdu said:

You might guess what else lurks downstream if you look at the colours he delivered

Well I have a Gulf war subject, masquerading as a late 50's RAF recce, that thinks it's a 60's RAF support vehicle. Heaven knows where the Barley grey comes in and I guess the Helo drab must be for the Apache!

Whatever it(they) may be, I know it will be good.

Agree with you on the Colourcoats paints and the level of service from Jamies world!

Terry

• Haha 2

There might be a Cranberry with a nice blue belly

There might be an S2 Bucc which needs some pylons finding

There might be an Air portable Landy

There is a Lightning with funny cam colours

And yes the Apache gets painted proper like now

:)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And reset...

..it happens when you stop calculating and begin guestimating, dont do this at home children

P1010193.jpg

The side pod extension was too short for its place in the world view

More stuff happening today

:(

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I am making better ones, I really hate OCD it makes me even stupider than the usual 'dumb'

There wasn't enough length on the starboard side to get the three separate shape entities that sit behind the winglet.

There is a flat section, then a bulging out section with a grid inset and a curving top, then a return towards the fuselage with a narrow grid in it.

My previous version was ok for any two of the three elements

The next will contain all the lessons from this.

The other side has also been butchered.

No! No photographs g'dammit.

😵😲😭😠😡😤😒🤬😬😟😰

• Like 8

I started with this block and a sihrsc

P1010195.jpg

Pencil outlines in situ.

P1010196.jpg

Hard to see but that thin line at the edge of the right hand section is a razor saw cut to work 'as far as'.

Then remove unwanted, non-Apache shapes.

P1010198.jpg

A bit blurry Alan but its time I had a cup of coffee, I might be steadier later

P1010199.jpg

I know, needs flash

Let's see...

P1010200.jpg

Yeah, that'll do.

• Like 8

P1010201.jpg

Ah that's better and it has decided me to make another for the other side instead of hoping to get away with bodging an almost OK job that's there already.

P1010202.jpg

Two pieces of 0.080" and one of  0.040" gives a 0.200" thick basic block for a replica, but mirrored piece like the one I started with this morning.

Right, where's that Merlin...

• Like 7

Basic woodwork Form 1z St Phil's chisels, use of.

P1010209.jpg

Chasing out the recess for the brass mesh, I did mention the brass mesh didnt I?

Ah no

OK there will be/is brass mesh for the ventilation panels, visible just above unremarked.

This one is the curved slot chisel being used upside down to open round ended slots for the smaller mesh.

P1010214.jpg

Bigger slot is 3mm and the smaller is 2mm and they have been godsent since I picked up the first (3mm) one a long time back, at I seem to recall @Tomoshenko's commendation.

Next time I saw the range on Little cars/Modelling tools stand at a show I got the 2mm, 1mm, pointed groove one and the curved one, they are incredibly useful.

If you dont have any, get some if you need a starter one I advise following my lead, 3 is great for general poipoise chiselling out.

P1010215.jpg

Anyway, both sides to my final satisfaction.

Now to make more greeblies, for both kits.

P1010205.jpg

Engines and basic bits are on, now we get specific.

Radars and searchlight and various defensive suite stuff next too.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Chop it off only to make it better. Tis the Perdu way so it seems. 😇

Does that apply to human body parts too? I could use a straighter nose.... :rofl:

Amazing job with the new parts, Bill! :worthy: :worthy:

Ciao

• Haha 4