Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

Well bug*er.

It was not to be, over optimistic no doubt but I hoped I could work with it.

I couldn't.

P1010135.jpg

PPP just can't hack it, or I can hack it all day long without getting a fix on the shape.

Ideally at this juncture I would be packing a bunch of Euros to Armycast and waiting for one of their lovely cast front sponson sets with the proper round nosed rocket pods in it, ideally.

Sadly they have stopped producing Apache bits completely, so it looks like surgery with added Milliput beckons.

P1010136.jpg

Oh well, the bottom of the fuselage is totally wrong so...

(I get the feeling there is a drift away from opinioning on particular makers these days so...)

Oh well. I can use full stop/periods round here I hope.

For the AW101I am leaving the FLIR at this point, it'll do.

P1010137.jpg

And obliquely...

P1010138.jpg

Black paint will be used to blank the blanked sensor windows on the model.

• Like 7

I wanted the Armycast resin set for the Apache, that is I did want the Armycast set.

Too late now. 

This is said set

P1010141.jpg

Not only the side pod mods that the AH-64A needed adapting but also a wealth of underside detail that 'the manufacturer' omitted from the build and the uniquely rounded missile pods of the Westland version

Italeri (or a manufacturer of note) gives us a basically flat bellied box with a rounded tail stuck on and other boxes stuck round about

Seems to me that Boeing/Westland gave the world a tubular fuselage with additional boxes affixed wherever it suited them.

The Armycast set pictures above (from their webpage, guys why stop these?) shows clearly the basic 'tubes and boxes' layout which I now have to try to replicate, damn my OCD.

You can see in the above pic that the two halves have been glued together and basic carpentry is underway.

A closer look at the battlefield.

P1010142.jpg

Hackaboutery begins...

I needed to find a way to replicate the curved tube shape, ah gotcha, use a curved tube shape

P1010143.jpg

A sacrificial drop tank , which may have begun life as a larger scale than 1/72 Phantom 11 drop tank (I dunno, it was in my box of bombs and things from forty years ago) and which seems ideal to become the curved belly.

P1010144.jpg

Now, the cruel hackaboutery

The moulded recesses at the front look as if they will 'do' so I am just concentrating on the middle section where the real work lives.

P1010146.jpg

Giorgio, when I can be ar... bothered most of the white residual PPP will wipe away with water soaked cotton buds so cleaning up isn't high on my agenda.

P1010147.jpg

Plastic on these Italian kits is immensely strong, believe me!

And reshaping begins later today, see you then guys.

• Like 7

I have every confidence that you will pull this off because your analysis of the underlying shapes looks (to me at least) spot on; that’s the key - after that it’s just carpentry.  But no matter how good your carpentry, it won’t do any good if you’re building the wrong shapes.  

Watching avidly, even though the Apache has always failed the Ugly Stick test for me - even for a helicopter it is one uggerlymuvva

• Like 3

Thank you gentlemens all, more carpentry whilst I had a spare half hour

(today whilst the weather is dryish I have a couple of exteriorus domesticus tasks to perform so this is snatched time, yes G the sun is shining and no more than 'Simpsons Clouds' in the sky)

The internal brace is stupogooed in place.

P1010149.jpg

And the underbelly is beginning, there should be a visibly fatter section on much of the fuselage, maybe armour for delicate bits.

Apache seems to have very well armoured delicate bits, next task...

P1010151.jpg

I think that's the way to do it!

• Like 11

I think it was @Heather Kay who once commented about watching a Bill build unfold. I can't recall your exact words Heather (and apologies if it wasn't you!), but to me they usually involve scary images of hacked about plastic and other gubins, that can't possibly ever end up as beautifully finished scale replica.................... and they always do!

Great work chasing the accuracy of this beast Bill, love every bit of it!

Terry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I think it was @Heather Kay who once commented about watching a Bill build unfold. I can't recall your exact words Heather (and apologies if it wasn't you!), but to me they usually involve scary images of hacked about plastic and other gubins, that can't possibly ever end up as beautifully finished scale replica.................... and they always do!

Great work chasing the accuracy of this beast Bill, love every bit of it!

Terry

I was just thinking exactly the same thing! It's at that scary stage but we all know uncle Bill will have it sorted out towards the end and leave us wondering how on earth it got from this to that 😂

• Haha 3

:) :) :)

We digress or is it progress?

One of  them fings anyroad

Bespoke Flak Jacket for new belly sir?

0.010" plasticard over the tanky bit

P1010153.jpg

That should do it

P1010154.jpg

I will trim that when the TamThinister dries out completely.

Tiny update because popping in between real 'jobs'  (Not jobbies in case anyone wond...)

;)

• Like 7

You may think the clamping on the previous update a little 'unprofessional'.

Fear not, after my impassioned plea for clamping advice I did go out and buy these and very nice they are

P1010155.jpg

I simply happened to have the Berna handy-er

The clamps came in that very tough box too, I do commend their obtainationing

Apache perched on top to show how current the advice is.

Buy some, they are good.

• Like 7

I cannot believe it!

It has taken all afternoon to get this to here

P1010157.jpg

Well here anyway

P1010156.jpg

I am certainly not as dab a hand with white placky as The Extraterrestrial is with the multitalented tentacles but I do watch to learn at the feet, mini flying saucer of the master @Martian

I have the time now to decide whether to continue in flat pack white or make addenda in fine greenish Milliput...

Laters (probably tomorrowish)

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Bigdave dear fellow please cease and desist from shuddering, I suspect Brum is on the same tectonic plate as Ipswich.

The more delicate stuff begins...

P1010158.jpg

That is if you can relate delicate to 0.040", 0.060" and eighty thou Plasticard.  :)

P1010159.jpg

Perspective is definitely not your friend when trying to use an elderly (relatively speaking of course) Olympus 4 megapixel Camedia camera, but I think this is a helpful shot relating to the up-build.

P1010161.jpg

Up-build.

P1010162.jpg

For this early attempt I expect to use mostly superglue for after-filling as well as in the bunging it all together stage.

Here the fore panel begins.

This isn't going to actually be tidy in progress but as it happens I know you won't be expecting it to be.

P1010164.jpg

Oh well, a busier day beckons and this morning in B74 not even 'Simpsons clouds' decorate the clear blue sky, painting the gate is on the cards.

Laters maybe..

• Like 7

A little more after the paint dried outside

Thick polycard gives a similar, malleable plastic to file and sand to shape

P1010168.jpg

I am already happier with this than I was with the abominable PPP from the last efforts on the sponsons

P1010167.jpg

Hack out thick shapes and pop them onto the side pods ready for malleabling with a sihrsc

P1010169.jpg

Soon be a structure to play with

OK off for a filing session, laters chaps

• Like 9

10 hours ago, giemme said:

...a much more solid base...

Are we still talking about Martian’s Matron?

Lovely work again, Bill.  I always find symmetry an issue in such matters, but you seem to be nailing it.

• Haha 2