Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

Thinking back to the colour wheel I made in first year art class, I'm pretty sure green and red make brown and I'm even sure-er-er that Tamiya make clear versions of both. I bet in the right proportions you could get that dark almost bronze tone.

That's what I'd do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrislowe said:

Thinking back to the colour wheel I made in first year art class, I'm pretty sure green and red make brown and I'm even sure-er-er that Tamiya make clear versions of both. I bet in the right proportions you could get that dark almost bronze tone.

That's what I'd do.

That is the basic plan Chris, not much of a worry whilst my local model shop is shut :)

Always closes Sundays and Wednesdays, inconvenient huh? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, perdu said:

Working at the front end now, playing around with the kit FLIR sensor to try to get close to the miultifaceted one on the Norwegian Aw101

After a while working in white plastic you begin to wonder if anyone will see anything...

The basic searcher head framework with cut outs

P1010084a.jpg

P1010093a.jpg

There wil be even more taken away from the carrier frame and the next thing to do is prepare a three part search head the basic shape is visible here on this picture shown in a comment on the 'other' AW101 thread overthere from IV(AC)Plumb

1106724.jpg

As SImone has sent me a piece of the colour shifting film for the seeker heads I have decided to make the FLIR unit in three pieces so I can have the relevant windows filmed in front of a main basic body with the drilled front face in between.

If it works, well natch of course it will.

If it doesn't, so sue me.

I love this picture, fabulous beastie isnt she?

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, perdu said:

I love this picture, fabulous beastie isnt she?

She is indeed, and that picture must have been taken from almost exactly the same spot as I took mine! Your one has slightly better light it seems......

D03_8910

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I detect a babe seeker head on your camera Terry, top man, man.

Does this basic beginnings have promise huh?

P1010115a.jpg

Carving out a (several) niche(s) on the head blank begins

P1010118a.jpg

The large window on the right will be blacked out for the model's purposes as will the tiny one upper right, it seems to have some kind of wave guide antenna in its hole there.

P1010116a.jpg

Carving continues...

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Does this basic beginnings have promise huh?

Definitely! It's promising to turn out very good :clap: 

Now I'm very curious to know where that multicolored clear plastic comes from - I mean , where to find it ...

Ciao

16 minutes ago, giemme said:

Definitely! It's promising to turn out very good :clap: 

Now I'm very curious to know where that multicolored clear plastic comes from - I mean , where to find it ...

Ciao

You should contact Simone Plai here or on faceache maybe G, he is in Italia after all

If he sees this he may be in a position to help

I promise you that even the smallest offcuts will stay in MY possession for ever

Until I use them obviously 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

She is indeed, and that picture must have been taken from almost exactly the same spot as I took mine! Your one has slightly better light it seems......

D03_8910

Terry

Fairly recent, too; that’s Damian’s tail in the background - XV666, a Sea King HU5 with a distinguished history; first flight 22 June 1970 (as an HAS1) and still going strong 50 years later at Portland, training German SAR crews.  It’s 35 years since Damian was upgraded to Mk5 standard, and the airframe was on 771 NAS by June 1988, so has been configured as a SAR cab for 32 years...  

It’s the equivalent of still flying a Sopwith Pup front line in 1966.

• Like 5

Damian

Yes we do know why  :)

On  the topic of  the FLIR unit it seems that rotation has occurred between the lady on the balcony sitting down and standing up

And here is my 'first effort' at providing the upgraded unit for my AW101

P1140496.jpg

closer...

A new image because I need to cull my pictures after culling one by mistook  :(

P1010129-2.jpg

Edited by perdu
I messed up posting an image, now corrected
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Fairly recent, too; that’s Damian’s tail in the background - XV666,

Yes reasonably recent. That shot was actually taken at Farnborough 2018, and the Sea Kings (two I think) operated by Heli Operations at Portland still ply their trade regularly over our house and surrounding Purbeck coastline. Unmistakable sound, compared to equally regular Merlin's, Wilcat's, Coast Guard and Air Ambulance trade we also get to see. One of the Heli Operations Sea Kings gave us a fantastic display of training in operation just a week or so back while we were walking the cliffs. Flew around us, often very close for a good 30 minutes before heading back to Portland. I so wish I'd had my camera with me that day!

If you click on this link it should take you to my Flickr album of more detail shots of the Sea King at Farnborough and a few I took the last time we were down at Portland. In some shots you will see ZA166 as well as XV666, and tucked away in the hanger you can also see ZE420. That last one does not appear to be in Heli Operations colours.

Heli Operations Sea King Portland

Apologies for the thread drift Bill, but I seriously doubt you will object given the subject matter!

Terry

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, perdu said:

And here is my 'first effort' at providing the upgraded unit for my AW101

Brilliant! :clap: I can't see the second image in your post, though: it says "image not found or it was removed"....

Ciao

I do see brown

P1010128-2.jpg

P1010127_(2).jpg

Tamiya X-25 Clear Green

Tamiya X-26 Clear Orange

Tamiya X-27 Clear Red

X-25 and X-27 made a decent brown as @chrislowe surmised but to get the slightly more glowing colour I added a little X-26 to lift the colour nicely.

The temptation now is to drop the top on the cockpit and move on but...

The very prominent sun-visors will need to be added first.

Watch this space...

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, giemme said:

Brilliant! :clap: I can't see the second image in your post, though: it says "image not found or it was removed"....

Ciao

Sorry Giorgio I must have removed it by mistake

Replaced with a new one now

👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I do see brown

Ah, that's just awesome! :worthy: What did you use to thin the mix? And did you brush it on or spray? TIA

Ciao

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

In some shots you will see ZA166 as well as XV666, and tucked away in the hanger you can also see ZE420. That last one does not appear to be in Heli Operations colours.

ZE420 is an ASaC7, which is interesting.  Started life as an HAS5 (& appears in my log book as 010 / R of 820 NAS in 1987-8, and again as 592 / CU of 706 NAS in 1994, when I did my Sea King refresher on returning to the type post-Lynx). Converted to AEW2 in 1996 and then to ASaC7 in 2004.  Flew with 857 NAS and 854 NAS in Afghanistan in 2010.

Sorry, Bill; should have said.  Nice brown.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

ZE420 is an ASaC7, which is interesting.

Just found an article here https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press18/seakingretiresprsep2018.htm which suggests ZE420, along with another ASaC7 ZA126, made a farewell "fly past" around the South West back in September 2018, after which both cabs were subsequently due to fly from Culdrose to HMS Sultan for disposal. The photo I took at Portland was dated May 2019, so I guess ZE420 had some sort of reprieve? Would an ASaC7 be a useful source of spares for a latter day HU5? As you say, interesting. I'll likely be back down at Portland in the next couple of months as I need some decent shots of the Heli Operations HU5's in flight, so I'll look out for that one again.

One of us is going to have to start a Seaking thread Bill!

Terry

18 minutes ago, perdu said:

That will be you then Terry

Well when I do it'll either be a Norwegian Air Force Mk43 (New Airfix with Whirley Bird conversion), the Heli Operations one as above or a good old Royal Navy Anti Submarine bird of some Mk or other, in 1/72 of course.

Now I do have a 1/48 Hasegawa in my possession also, but as you say, we don't want to go up against THAT build, do we......... 

Terry

• Haha 1

What build?

Obviously there are plenty of parts in common between a Mk.5 & a Mk.7 (engines, transmission, much of the airframe etc.), but it would be pretty odd to use a Bagger as a Hangar Queen for 2 HU5s when there were literally dozens of HU5s and HAS6s being sold for disposal at that time.  

A couple of years ago there were vague rumours in the ex-WAFU fraternity about ideas re using a surplus Bag to provide radar surveillance of the Channel & SWApps (mostly for fishery protection reasons); I suspect that’s why they acquired / leased (don’t know what their arrangement is) a Mk.7.  The radar is monstrously good - the USN loved having RN ASaC7s around in the Gulf, for instance - but whether anything will ever come of it, who knows?  Keeping the airframe ticking over for future possible return to flight would be relatively simple; acquiring a retired airframe now and re-certifying it would be much harder and a LOT more expensive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my almost legendary ability to verbalise the indecipherable now we get to the knobbly bit hanging under the oddball snout of the beastie

Do not I advise, expect us to get to HERE.

flir1a.jpg

This is the plot for Simone's beautiful piece of 3D printing for the undernose FLIR unit, truly sculptural artwork I promise

This however is my take upon the same piece, carven from 3 pieces of chuck-away polystyrene

P1010132-2.jpg

And a sliver of the prismodical plastic sheet that Simone sent me with the radome and old style FLIR pod.

Humbrol Matt 33

But sadly not as I knew it, this is very stinky stuff with none of the aromatics associated with old time Humbrol.

• Like 7