Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

Brown perspex roof transparency.

How the effervescing heck am I going to make brown, see through hence transparent perspex?

I have tried searching through model paint ranges.

No joy so a bit of lateral thinking, make it yourself Billy.

I stuck a clean drinking straw in the top of my clear varnish for an inch's depth and stopped the hole with my thumb and popped the stuff into a mixing space.

I am using Alclad's clear varnish this time round.

Then I allowed a single drop of Vallejo burnt umber to drop in and mixed them together to give a brown mix.

Kinda like this

P1010069a.jpg

This looks like a bad job in the spotlight of the flash but in real light of day doesn't look so bad.

P1010064a.jpg

I will mix a new batch to give the perspex a slightly heavier browning later and to even up the layers.

If it doesn't work I will remove it with IPA

I hope...

• Like 7

what color is Tamiya Smoke Bill - any idea?   Is it a brown or a grey or some other color?    I have a feeling it is kinda brownish but could be completely off base

woodstain? not the stain itself, but colored varnish?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I love the lateral thinking, though, Bill.

:ditto: I'd give Tamiya smoke a try, maybe on a spare clear bit first

Ciao 

Smoke, thanks for giving it some thought lads, is a grey colour.

Tamiya also do an orange, a red, a blue and a green but not brown, too niche I suspect

I thought about wood stain but as well as being in massive tins it also would almost certainly be too volatile for model transparencies.

I think.

I am doing coat number two as we 'speak' we will see later how it dries but at least it's made of model friendly stuff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Tamiya also do an orange, a red, a blue and a green but not brown, too niche I suspect

I have the sense that if you mix all of them you'll get a brown - worth a try? :shrug:

Ciao 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, giemme said:

I have the sense that if you mix all of them you'll get a brown - worth a try? :shrug:

Ciao 

I was thinking the same thing.

AW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am going to have to do something similar, Alclad Aqua Gloss isnt a strong enough (or quick drying enough) carrier for the dirty brown pigment.

Experimentation this morning suggests that Humbrol Clear doesn't cut the moutarde either  :(

The search is on-going...

Now then, the rear fuselage heat shielding, very obvious and obtrusive under its shiny black paint...

• Like 1

That's it, keep up with the suggestions

Cheers Ced.

Looking into it along with the latest idea, an old but full bottle of Tamiya Flat Brown in which the entire contents have settled out with the brown tinted carrier at the top and the heavy pigments all settled to the bottom.

This bottle came into my possession the first year Tamiya Acrylics hit the British shelves, seventies some time and has never been opened for painting since it did my old horse in the Collecting The Empties diorama back then-a-day.

Coal-waggon-refurb-113.jpg

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

an old but full bottle of Tamiya Flat Brown

I bet it's one of the old larger 23ml pots, rather than the current 10ml ones? I still have a few of those and the paint is as good as the day I first opened them. So much more paint for your money back then.

The Collecting the Diorama looks great, and I'm glad to see you put the Horse before the Cart!

Terry

• Haha 4

Hi Bill and others, re the top glazing tint. I you have a look in the Pinned Items section by Tony aka Lynx7. He got the colour spot on by using pen markers, might be under the Lynx GB.

Colin

• Thanks 1

Wonderful rotor head Bill. As for the clear. I used the yellow clear Tamiya on a canopy and it worked a treat. You can add either flat brown or clear red. It just kind of works. Text it first though aye. 👍

Johnny

Nice Oss n cart. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was pondering the brown tint again Bill and thought about giving Tamiya clear orange, a mix with Tamiya smoke. So I went to my bench to give it a try, and I spotted this, acquired some time ago by one of my lads, for his Warhammer work

IMG20200818135324 IMG20200818135318

A very quick test on some white plastic, voila:

IMG20200818135337

Might work........?

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Might indeed

if the experiments with Tam XF-10 dont pay out

As of now they results are "promising but no decisions yet"

In other news and before I return to the vexatious Apache I have ben playing with little triangular pieces of plastic

P1010075a.jpg

I will return later with the result of doing the back ones so we can give this some consideration then.

• Like 6

So

This brown inner ceiling.

It is unlike the 'normal' Smoke grey or black screen on most types as can be seen here on the lovely Norwegian AW101 I  might be modelling

P1010079a.jpg

A very deep brown, almost bronze tint is called for

No worries we'll get there      

maybe even get that rainbow film effect on the other windows, finger's crossed.

The other side of the tail rotor is done-ish and ready for paint and detailing

P1010077a.jpg

Paint and a looksee next.

• Like 9

11 hours ago, wellsprop said:

@perdu your tail rotor hub is looking absolutely superb!

Thanks Ben, all down to your 3d plotting though

Working at the front end now, playing around with the kit FLIR sensor to try to get close to the miultifaceted one on the Norwegian Aw101

Interesting work, see ya later.

• Like 1