Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

Coming to the end of a rotary build I enjoyed most/some/all of the way (you choose the accurate option) of the Airfix Bristol Belvedere I decided my next build would be Out Of The Box and easy and coupled with a more detailable build.

I like having two models on the boil at once and having had a difficulty with my last build's second model which need time to resolve decided on these

For you consideration a stash reducing exercise

My wife bought me an Apache model in a small shop in Caernarfon as a gift "No go on I can see you like it!"

as I was trying to see if it was any good

So I have the Apache purporting to be a Royal Army AH-64D Longbow

This one

P1010072.jpg

And I have just about all the internal detail info I need for OOB here

P1010074.jpg

It certainly does put me in the cockpit with several pictures of the front and rear i.ps and graphic tales of desperate times to dip into again.

A start has been made

P1010070.jpg

But I have immediately hit a snag, whatever is in the box is NOT what Italeri put on the outside

There are some decent colour pictures of British Army and Dutch Apaches to compare with look

P1010075.jpg

Rather large discrepancies on the rear end of the sponsons

A drawing might be clearer

P1010076.jpg

This shows some of the differences, the thicker line is the desired shape sponson

The curvy cross hatched line show what we got

Have to go away and consider whether OOB will swing it for me now

Ciao

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Looking good Bill, you can drop the Royal from the 'Royal Army" they lost their Royal warrant a long time ago.

Looks like a bit of surgery is required?

At the end of Ed Macey's book, two Apaches are facing each other, firing into a compound. Not normal practice but why spoil a good storey with some fact or other!

Colin

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure-er than you Roger but still not sure either way

I really didn't want such a decision-decision moment so early

Of course I forgot to introduce my other model

Here brought into her own thread is the Italeri HC3 which is due to become a smaller simulacrum of the Norwegian Rescue AW-101 being made elsewhere in big scale

P1010064.jpg

I spent a happy afternoon yesterday seeking images I can use to produce what I hope will be a half decent model.

P1010068.jpg

There will be transfers to track down, some to print and lots of jolly angst on the way.

I was pleased with my HMA3, hopefully this can sit happily alongside of it

This will not be out of box in any way

Join me please

• Like 13

Looks like that to me too Neil, I think I am about to throw away the OOB label and make minor lookey alikey changes to the sponsons

There are some other parts that need altering a bit too so let us say "goodbye Out Of The Box hi WAH 64!"

I do think I will be getting a little overexposed to brown plastic before I finish these.  :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Whilst considering my ways - and thoughts on originality of an Italeri Apache I have begun working towards the build of the Merlin-Norge

Some of the windows translate into the same places on the Norge bird but many differences need dealing with

Something I decided not to put up with again if/when I ever build another ItaMerlin was the monstrously oversized window seal rubbers imposed upon the poor benighted modeller, they ain't right and it ain't funny so off they come

P1010077.jpg

In this view of the starboard side two of the windows are redundant another needs adding and the first of my elliptical bulgey window holes has been begun.

Both wall holes have been filled with their required panels and work has begun removing the door step that is normally on the British Merlins

(other owners are available but I have not been studying them and hence I know nozzingz about zem)

My very scarce spare window box has donated one which will be used to turn the front window into plain blank hull wall

P1010079.jpg

Which is going to help me make it look like this

P1010078.jpg

The necessary alterations seem easily attained from looking at this screen photo of Martin Melquist's great set of AW101 pictures for the Norwegian Armed Forces photographed on my screen, badly

Should have traced Martin's shots and used them :(

I now have to work out how to pull mould an elliptical bubble to fit over three of the windows, that right soon and on the morrow

• Like 12

Well I'm early in a Bill double chopper build. Can't be bad.

The Merlin is a great favourite of mine, as many choose to fly deliciously close to my home, often - deepest Dorset betwixt the Royal Marines playground around Poole and Studland, and the Royal Navy's playground, just off the coast. Thursday war still continues it seems. I won't mention the thunderous noise from the tankies on the Lulworth ranges .......... Lucky me. Before moving here I lived in a small village called Over Wallop, and yes, I became extremely familiar with the Apache (and it's less aggressive looking mates) just beyond our back garden in Middle Wallop. We once had a rather spooky experience, whilst driving over to Stockbridge, of an Apache, flying next to us at what couldn't be much over 100 ft AGL, at EXACTLY our speed, with the nose "stuff" pointing unwaveringly at us, for several miles. Soberingly impressive. So a great pair of builds for me to follow I would say.............

BTW Bill, I showed Karen (who remembers meeting you at Telford) the Norwegian bird you plan, and she simply said YESSSS! Half Norwegian you see.......... and despite having just built this Norwegian C-47 jost for her, she reminded me I have been promising to build a Norwegian helicopter for some time. You beat me to it!

Carry on sir!

Terry

PS. If you click on this picture it will take you to my Flickr album of a few pictures I took of the Norwegian AW101 at farnborough 2018

Norwegian AW101

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Watching this one with interest!

Another thing to watch out for on the fuselage... Italeri decided to cover it in rivets, however, the airframe is mostly composites, The lower front fuselage (beneath the cockpit) is metallic as is the bottom end of the fuselage (where the ramp is) and the first half of the tail boom.

Do you have a 3D printer by any chance for the tail rotor conversion?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Do you have a 3D printer by any chance for the tail rotor conversion?

No sadly not, but not very sadly because I would be incompetent to drive it if I did.

I intend doing mine the old fashioned by hand way unless Tony decides to take pity on me.  ;)

Terry I will delve into those pictures as soon as I find a minute, don't be surprised if I steal them nefariously for my underhand poipoises.

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Another thing to watch out for on the fuselage... Italeri decided to cover it in rivets, however, the airframe is mostly composites, The lower front fuselage (beneath the cockpit) is metallic as is the bottom end of the fuselage (where the ramp is) and the first half of the tail boom.

I remembered that from my HMA3 build so it will become far less rivetted.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, perdu said:

Terry I will delve into those pictures as soon as I find a minute, don't be surprised if I steal them nefariously for my underhand poipoises.

They are yours for the taking!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah !!

Page one of double build of my distinguished colleague !!

Pretty good idea Bill !!

But forget the OOB thing...:rofl2: we are no longer able to simply build a kit...

We both are infected and there is no known cure...

May I take a seat at the bar please ?

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Two? Two? It’s infectious. That @corsaircorp has a lot to answer for. 🤣

great choices. I’ll jog alongside if I may. 😇

Johnny

You seem to be one of the last to resist...

And @giemme too... 

But in fact, you also have 2 kits on the table...

Come on Spad, still 52 to start and join the fray !!:cheers:

Impressed CC

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Two? Two? It’s infectious. That @corsaircorp has a lot to answer for. 🤣

Too true and he has asked for several thousand other offences to be taken into consideration.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, perdu said:

Taken, thanks mate

I will do my best with them, for Karen if not for hubris.

Karen ???

Did you mean THE Karen ???

Oh my god, I did'nt know that she's a modeller too...

CC

• Haha 4

This might help with the sponsons on the WAH-64.  It’s from 2016 when one visited out local fete.  One of the local dads is a pilot so flew it in.  Tried to get a load of detail pics in case I built one

klZPoKY.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bar side said:

This might help with the sponsons on the WAH-64.  It’s from 2016 when one visited out local fete.  One of the local dads is a pilot so flew it in.  Tried to get a load of detail pics in case I built one

klZPoKY.jpg

That is a fab picture, thanks and just the kind of view I needed

Saving this Ta.

CC stop spoiling my memories, but it's no matter I like her either way.

😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm notoriously not a big fan of choppers, but I'm a big @perdu's fan, so I'm for this double treat :) (I kinda like the Apache though :winkgrin: )

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

You seem to be one of the last to resist...

And @giemme too... 

I actually did a double build, CC: the C202 and C205. Then I said "Never again". :D But then an idea came to my mind, and just like 007 I went "Never say Never Again", and in a not too distant future there will be another double build... :whistle:

Ciao belli

• Like 4

oh this looks like it could be good fun.  As soon as I saw the OOB tag I knew it couldn't last for long.

I'm gonna predict that there will be scratch building, plunge molding and all sorts of skills on display over the coming weeks/months on this pair of choppers. Who can resist?

• Haha 4

Nice, I'm in...

OOB...yea, right and CC will never drink another beer.....

They really don't want anyone to see that "DANGER" stencil, do they? Maybe they know the quality of people who may be in that region with the engine running and want to save some cash?

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 5