Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

1 hour ago, chrislowe said:

Love it! No chance of closing the ramp now, I hope. That needs to be visible.

Closing the ramp?  No way, this needs to be displayed on the ramp outside the aircraft.  Amazing work.

AW

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Don’t forget to restrain your crotch.  We’re going to keep reminding you until you do it.

Er, you won't want photographs I hope.

I'm not that kind of boy...

• Haha 5

Hi Bill, 

Just been catching up with this thread, sorry I have not been around but it is difficult keeping up with everyone's builds.  Great work on the internals, the seats are sublime and the strecher is amazing, what great work.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

It seems to ne that you have consideranly stepped up your game here, Bill (if that was even possible) :worthy: Those interiors look splendid, but the stretcher is simply stunning! :wow:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Prior to closing the fuselage halves up I have been adding the inner wall to the ramp area.

P1010002.jpg

Both sides.

P1010003.jpg

I have been frugal in filling the medical kit racks, not having a list of normally carried items but the pair of colourful items (bottles?) on the forward rack are easily visible if with somewhat indecipherable labelling so I made up a couple of mock up items to suit.

The sidewalls of the ramp area will be given a dash of Gris Claro tomorrow after smoothing off.

Er, if anyone of a slightly prurient nature asks you yes, the crutch straps are in place now.

On the model...

Tomorrow is end of quarantine for the radome and FLIR pod, examination will ensue and preparation too for fitment.

I'm going in, wish me luck.

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

I'm going in, wish me luck.

Good luck Bill :) 

Lovely jubbly interior… but why have the folded seats got scribble on the bottom? Did I miss that?

Scribble is my poor attempt at depicting the seat base elastic which criss-crosses the underside of each pan.

I'll show a picture tomorrow.

Scribble is as close as I can get.

• Like 1

This is for CedB

35098072-1712504875463987-43591525585817

A very purposeful scrabble of bungee cord

I am not clever enough to paint those on several small square pieces of placky 5/32ths of a inch across, soz mate...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When THEY ask me why I didnt finish this one it is going to be "A big boy dunnit and ran away"

Namely CedB of this parish...

Scribble?

I see no scribble, at least in here I don't.

Before I close the halves after putting the nosewheel bay I had almost completely forgotten about inside the front I decided to solve the mystery before it becomes a riddle.

I have painted the seat bottoms black, nice colour if somewhat less inspirational than red or orange

Or blue or...

Anyway I had a plastic covered grey hump to install in a specified bay to make and fit and bay sizes to reduce

P1010005.jpg

I am bebeggared if I know what the grey hump is about, but as of today it is about hanging around looking slick inside a Merlin see.

Because Ced made me do it I have been playing with white decal sheet (what Ced paid for by the way) and Paint Shop Pro 4 which was a free download and manages to act for me in most graphical duties I have

A black page

A grey outlined box

And white lines in a grid pattern which closely replicates the elastic bungee cords used to add suspringiness to the crew seats

Save the pattern and import it into MS Word 2010 as a picture which can be reduced as necessary to suit

I made a couple of sizes in case the best one needed help to fit.

P1010007.jpg

Also visible is the royal Crest of Norway which sits either side of the tail.

I bought a very expensive Xtradecals set for Merlins of many disguises but which failed painfully to provide the crests as they should be.

The sheet had a pair of crests that sit on both sides of the tail fin but on the decal set the crests both faced with the axe head to the left.

Score one right, one not so right.

Praise be to PSP4, take image then isolate and reverse the proper piece to go to print with it in Word.

Now for the Nose well bay and the Main Rotor Gearbox paint, it will need the pale green yellow mixing again

:(                                                                                                        

• Like 8

Now that's what I call proper bungee :) 

Thanks Bill, you know it'll make all the difference to that beautiful interior. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Scribble?

I see no scribble, at least in here I don't.

he only brought it up 'cos he got to say bottom in the same sentence! 

nice solution to the bungee on the botto  underside of the seats Bill.   

If I may be so bold, I have to comment that I think this is turning into one of your best builds

• Haha 3

I have to admit Alan that I am still getting immense pleasure from it.

I knew after building the Italeri one that there were issues with having the very clear windows recessed deeply into the cavities that there was stuff to do there and I might be able to deal with it, so I did.

Having found all of  these wonderful source pictures for my archive the interior was going to be worth a bit more effort than most and this is where I am getting the most fun.

Which has to stop soon...

Anyway, untrimmed but Daco-ed the bungie elastics are now where I am leaving them, if he (you know who) isn't happy I regret to say...
tough!

P1010008.jpg

White edges will be removed with NATO Black Model Air and I have yet to decide upon the fate of seat Two-B, I do have a spare ziggyzagger if I need it.

Mike's Models tomorrow though, completely out of Gris Claro and I need it now.

The grey lump, I suspect it may be a dinghy pack but don't know

It is however IN and is staying there, no further alterations to the interior and furnishings will be tolerated

All of the blue seats have been extracted once to trim the spray deck type bases down.

Never again.

P1010010.jpg

Nightol.

• Like 14

The scribble Mk 1 was fine, but scribble Mk 2 is light years ahead of the first one Bill, and I must say thoroughly in keeping with the real thing. We likes it a lot.

In fact, we likes the whole interior a lot we does.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Out of deep gloom something moves into the light.

P1010011.jpg

P1010012.jpg

I had to ask myself whether leaving Merlin open to even more additions and subtractions would satisfy my yearnings...

And decided no, this model needs finishing. Even though it will not be gracing the halls at SMW in November. Yes I have reluctantly informed my club branch that Bill ain'tn't going this year if it goes ahead.

I am hoping for a modicum of normality next year, so the builds go on.

A moral tale.

When you begin the inevitable clamping operation involved closing up a prized model, first have both pairs of Berna clamps to hand.

Do not, I implore you, start applying Tamiya Green Cap at one end making sure that the rear ramp is fitted and operable and clamp up the tail end then realise you have not seen the other clamp for a few weeks...

P1010013.jpg

So while that decides if it is happy to remain 'Two Becomes One' I opened up the BM Walkaround sets.

Augusta Westland AH-1 Apache

And began examining this again

P1010014.jpg

I am tying to get a fix on the shapes under the PPP blobs, I refuse to give up on it

P1010015.jpg

To get this

AH%2520detail%25205.jpg&key=2d934fda63bb

and

AH%2520detail%25207.jpg&key=4ff51fc48cc3

AH%2520detail%252018.jpg&key=8a0ddef92e3

There is enough great photography from Gary Steadman in there to make the awfulness disappear , thanks Gary and Julien.

Aha what light from yonder...

I hear a song and take my leave good fellows, more later one hopes.

• Like 7

Nice work Bill :) 

13 hours ago, perdu said:

I am hoping for a modicum of normality next year

I'm with you Bill - better (stay) safe than sorry eh?

• Like 1

Cheers Neil, thanks.

TOOL NEED ALERT... TOOL NEED ALERT... TOOL NEED ALERT...

Ced will know 

I needed a clamp to apply a precise amount of gripped closure to the tail rotor drive cover.

As you will know ITACRAPI insisted on building the fuselage 'halves' in four 'halves' (OK sections... The critics round here huh!) 😅 

To close the rear upper drive cover which was the last part of the front fuselage to be hung onto the rest and needed to be firmly clamped I tried my Berna clamps.

Oops no good.

Then I had a go with my universal big grippy plastic clamps, oops no good.

No what I needed was a firm and precise amount of squeeze.

This amount

P1010016.jpg

Dad's old Moore & Wright one inch micrometer on the drive shaft cover and the plastic big grippy clamp for the top casing.

Now this worked perfectly but it is no way to treat a precision instrument, even if it is unlikely to ever be needed to measure in microns again.

What shall I buy to prevent me heaping more indignity on the one inch mic?

I have begun adding the very prominent heat shielding to the upper fuselage skin using fifteen thou polycard.

P1010022.jpg

Colour me chuffed over how much is visible inside with the flash, 😀 the shield needs persuading to settle down now.

Not a happy place for the polycard.

P1010024.jpg

We'll get there in the end.

I hope we can also get the front screen done to suit too, not looking very promising just nows.

P1010026.jpg

Just another of Italeri's inexplicable policy of adding barnacles or other excrescences to beautifully clear transparencies.

In the case of the Merlin there are two moulded on wiper blades and on each wiper two parallel pivot arms.

To paint those without smudging the paint on the glass is next to impossible.

So off with them and begin the polishing...

Please cross 'em.

• Like 5