Italeri Mania, it's WAH-64 and AW-101 time's up

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Karen ???

Did you mean THE Karen ???

Oh my god, I did'nt know that she's a modeller too...

CC

I thought he meant the Kraken, a distant cousin of mine.

download-1.jpg

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Page 2 and I have begunned

P1010080.jpg

From the box no longer

Infill wont be as bad as I thought, phew

P1010082.jpg

Carvery, jiggery and pokery should bring us a better representation of the Westland WAH-64.

More on the morrow.

• Like 12

Sometime better to do the mods yourself than rely on a kit getting it right.  The ends of those sponsons clearly look modified on the real thing anyway.  Nice work

• Like 3

11 hours ago, giemme said:

I'm notoriously not a big fan of choppers, but I'm a big @perdu's fan, so I'm for this double treat :) (I kinda like the Apache though :winkgrin: )

I actually did a double build, CC: the C202 and C205. Then I said "Never again". :D But then an idea came to my mind, and just like 007 I went "Never say Never Again", and in a not too distant future there will be another double build... :whistle:

Ciao belli

Mmmmh teasing....

2 Fiat CR-42 ??

Let's say... 2 choppers ???

Come on Giorgio...:dog:

CC

• Haha 2

Some days/nights the obvious misses you by miles doesn't it?

P1010083.jpg

This isnt a Italeri moulding at all

Although I know it is the same kit, with different wibbly bits, as this one which I am very familiar with...
P1010084.jpg
Oh well, I am not changing the name of the build radically now

It stays Italeri, OK? Fine so that is it.

I took a look at the box again because I get fed up trying to put bits back inside that end opening thing

So that got discarded for the old Naval boxings' more sensible box

P1010085.jpg

did I just infer sensible in the same breath as Itale...?

Anyway, holes to open and sides to make fit, this morning's little playtime

P1010087.jpg

Apologies for the picture blurring, it's not even as if I went down the pub last night but I was hoping to home in on  the ridiculous side panel fit and the fresh holes...

Oh well starboard side, holes plugged ready for filing

P1010089.jpg

Oval observation bubble hole cut out in the door too

Today I am hoping to mostly be making three identical elliptically oval clear window bubbles

• Like 11

On 7/11/2020 at 12:17 PM, giemme said:

I'm notoriously not a big fan of choppers, but I'm a big @perdu's fan, so I'm for this double treat :) (I kinda like the Apache though :winkgrin: )

Save for the fact that I don’t wanna be notorious and save for the fact that I quite like choppers - as long as they stay far enough away so as not to be annoying - and save for the fact that I definitely like the Apache....I couldn’t agree more!

• Haha 7

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Oval observation bubble hole cut out in the door too

Today I am hoping to mostly be making three identical elliptically oval clear window bubbles

As it happens...

I got the MGF on the road after sorting a tired battery and took it for a conditioning drive, roof down, as you do.

I stopped outside my local where some friendly types were sitting in the sun on  the terrace.

I had a pint of Danish Dynamite, a very palatable IPA.

Then as you do, I ordered another pint and got into it then I recalled taking the Fidget for a drive so I left my slightly depleted pint behind and drove the car the hundred and twenty yards home and parked on the drive.

As you do.

Gwyn asked me why I was "just popping back to the pub" and when I told her I had a pint maturing in the glass said "Go and finish that and have another".

So I did.

Then when I got home it was time for late lunch/early dinner then the GP on television.

So actually nothing got done on bubble windows yesterday.

Nor the wall panel modifications either  :(

Today chums is another day.

:)

• Haha 8

Made it in on page 2! I have both of these in 1:48, but not being deserving of retirement yet they're still firmly in the stash. The day job, which for the last few weeks has also been a night job does rather interrupt progress. 

Smashing start Bill. I can't wait to see how these turn out, and of course the many twists and turns on the way 

• Like 2

Good to see you Chris, stand by for the usual hiatuses/hiatii/hiatiums and lost hours please.

Now then, wasn't it Alan that wanted plunge moulding and divers ways of getting stuff

P1010096.jpg

For  three make several then clarify with flash

P1010097.jpg

I had hoped that by sucking air out of a vessel with the required shape on it I might suck heated plastic into the former shaped hole and get a replica unmarked bubble like those in use in the air.

Didn't work I regret to admit

I thought I was going to be really clever, I wasn't...

These were plunged using a fortuitously discovered brake pedal switch with a domed head on it

After I trim these back I can find out how much more creative I need to be, surely cannot get it right first time can I?

Laters dear friends, laters.

• Like 8

In other works of endeavour...

P1010091.jpg

Those inner walls need to have smooth wipe clean surfaces added which might have the occasional cutaway section near observation windows (my bubbles) I will have to find a link to show you.

Finishing the new window holes proceeds, gently.

P1010092.jpg

Because Italerevell make one Merlin with infill panel adjustments for 'the other kind of Merlin' there are usually discrepancies to disperse and I have had to begin making the two panels 'as one'.

Sanding next...

Other side too, there is a massive 0.001" step between  the main and infill panels.

One thousandth of a whole inch sounds so slight that you wouldnt notice it but in the world we're in a hair is three of them thick and you would notice a hair if it settled in your nice new coat of paint.

I used to work to tenths of thous, a whole one is a big deal acos I am aiming for none across the panels.

On the WAH 64 front adjustments now proceed apace

First the stinking 'slide out of the ends box'

Not having it, I hate it so tape up the end corners and cut open the top.

P1010093.jpg

Now I have an opening box.

From the AW101 pictures you might have noticed the Apache sides awaiting care and love

Plastic carded and PPPed ready for trimming

P1010090.jpg

Carving and wet sanding begins...

• Like 10

A double helping of Bill goodies, and both looking good so far. We all knew OOB wasn't going to last but I had given you credit to make it last a LITTLE longer.....

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nah Ian as soon as the obviously wrong sponsons appeared out of the box that was it, the only thing coming OOB was errors

I refuse to waste my limited time pretending errors are all right really, still looks a bit like an Army Apache

That isnt my game so altered states reign now.

I tried out my first bubble for size and the essential 'look'

P1010098.jpg

I think  that will be OK once polished up

Now make two more...

This is what a thou looks like

P1010099.jpg

As Ben has pointed out many of these panels are composite and probably bonded in place and would not have deep ripples like that.

It had to go

P1010100.jpg

That is more like it

The Royal Navy Merlins have fuel filler points in a few places, The Norge ones seem to have a separate pressure refuelling point so the RN ones have been eradicated. I hope the PPP will not degrade.

We'll see.

Skin panels look level enough now I wonder how the bubble will look?

P1010101.jpg

Yup, I will have some of that.

P1010102.jpg

Moved a bitty over the hole but looks good for height at that.

More bubbles...

• Like 11

Lovely work Bill, bubbles and all.   This is shaping up to be another Billicious building bountifest.   Your bubble looks fantastic - I'm always impressed with the ease with which you seem to produce these things

• Thanks 1

I agree with Alan :clap:

What happened to the kit plastic? Did it become grey just because of sanding? :frantic:

Anyway, your magic has commenced: first the scrubby look, soon to be followed by the "silk purse" look :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

... It's hard to find a single thing not to like about being retired...

I do agree. My only concern is that I’m that way 13 years ahead of schedule :) through a series of coincidences, world events and bizarre concurrences. I really do need to get back to work but only once Covid/my health are on a better footing.

• Like 1

I was fortunate that my accelerated retirement began with very good pension.

I didn't expect the opportunity to arrive when it did but boy am I glad I took it.

Having to deal with covid based problems can't be good for you. 🤔

• Like 2

If it had in the box what it says on  the outside it would be a different story Johnny, not the end of the world

I do have an Airfix Phantoom lurking a few months ahead yet...

I have begun the innards, this is where we want to go

The recce console (I assume) has joysticks to control the front and side views I guess

This crappy pic is off my monitor...

P1010107.jpg

I have plenty of pictures of the furnishings inside, should be fun.

P1010103.jpg

A vague pencil line below the filled in window shows where the forward observer watches Magic Roundabout on the posh telly above, planning is under weigh.

P1010105.jpg

Must be something on telly here too, see you guys!

• Like 9