Revell's 1/72 Ju.88A-1 finally available, BUT...

Wm Blecky

I see that Hannants has finally received stock on Revell's new 1/72 Ju.88A-1 kit.  The cost of shipping to Canada is rather prohibitive so I'll have to wait for a retailer in Canada or the U.S. to get them in.

Even though I will not be getting one of these kits as quickly as I'd like, it has not stopped me from examining pictures of the parts.  No surprise that Revell has used their A-4 kit with the appropriate changes for the A-1 variant.  The one thing that I am wondering about are the exhausts for the engines.  I wonder if Revell has erred in this regard?

I have not been able to find any clear pictures of this area of the A-1, but I did come across this image of a manual:

spacer.png

Unlike the A-4 variant, there appears to be 6 exhaust stubs running the length of the exhaust opening.   While examining images of the kit's sprues on IPMS Germany's First Look website, the sprue with the new engine parts appears to have an exhaust set up like the A-4's:

spacer.png

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

That might 

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

it has something to do with cockpit heating?

That might be it. After looking at the walk around photos posted above, it appears that the exhaust stack arrangement is 'handed,' with the ones on the LH side of each nacelle being arranged with six equally-spaced stacks, and the ones on the RH side of each nacelle having five equally spaced stacks, then a duct  or muff, followed by the sixth stack. Could be for cockpit heating, but I'm thinking it might also be for thermal deicing of the wings by means of ducts inside the leading edge. Just a guess!

Mike

• Like 2

Do you think that Quickboost #72 277 would solve this:

spacer.png

It's supposed to be for a Ju.188A but with the pictures in the link that Markus supplied and both vppelt68 and Mike's comments, this set looks like it might be the solution.  I wonder how long before anyone else picks up on this "flaw" and how much longer before Quickboost comes out with a "dedicated" Ju.88A-1 exhaust set.

• Like 1

The Quickboost exhausts look to be the solution indeed if one doesn't want to resort to some cutting.

Although I'm not sure if related to the differential spacing, the exhaust heat was indeed used for wing de-icing: https://books.google.at/books?id=mHZDAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=Ju+88+exhaust+stacks%2Bheating&source=bl&ots=SD1fw41jH5&sig=ACfU3U2o3LR1v0m54F7FlZB0KUmgrZ4mug&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi81szbysTqAhVR_aQKHRDRCUIQ6AEwCnoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=Ju 88 exhaust stacks%2Bheating&f=false

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1

Well, I know we shouldn't model by models, but looking at Quickboost 1:32 Ju 88 A-1 exhausts here https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-32-059-junkers-ju-88-a-1-exhaust--212166, it makes me think in 1:72 it should be a quick file and sand- job with the Revell exhausts to make 99 -edit: of course only 88- % of us happy with them :coolio:. V-P

Just received my new 1/72 Revell Ju-88A-1, having had it on back order for quite some time. Coming across this topic, I was a little concerned that after the wait, the main point of the kit, the A-1 engines and exhausts were going to need replacing/fettling. 

I suspect that these are the correct exhaust stub and shroud arrangement:

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Well, I know we shouldn't model by models, but looking at Quickboost 1:32 Ju 88 A-1 exhausts here https://www.scalemates.com/kits/quickboost-qb-32-059-junkers-ju-88-a-1-exhaust--212166, it makes me think in 1:72 it should be a quick file and sand- job with the Revell exhausts to make 99 -edit: of course only 88- % of us happy with them :coolio:. V-P

Same set up either side for both engine nacelles. In which case Revell have got this right, and I can rest easy. Some may prefer to upgrade to a resin set with finer detail, but overall I am very pleased with the detail on the cowlings and radiators, which for a 1/72 kit is really quite lovely. 

This is a First Class Kit

As noted above by @Wm Blecky Quickboost 72-277 is for the Hasegawa Ju-188A (Scalemates), and as such not suitable for a Ju-88A-1.

:)

Edited by Smudge
  • Like 1

Smudge, so are the actual kit parts (pertaining to this posting) different than those on the First Look website?

The pictures from the website that Markus provided combined with the images from the IPMS Germany First Look website, do suggest that Revell did bung the exhausts setup.

Starboard side of the engine is 6 exhausts ports in a row, then the "flat" piece (unlike what Revell provides):

spacer.png

The port side of the engine is 5 exhaust ports, "flat" piece and 1 more exhaust port (like what Revell provides)

spacer.png

I have not found any better pictures than the ones in the link from Markus and based on those, unless Revell gives us something different in the kit, either you modify the kits pieces or take the lazy route ( ;) ) and buy the Quickboost set that I mentioned previously.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Thanks 1

Holy Crap!  I did not even consider checking my Revell Ju.88A-4 kit (or the C-6 for that matter).  Thank you very much David for posting.

I checked my Revell Ju.88A kit (ok, it was actually the C version, but it has the same exhaust pieces).

spacer.png

Based on the images found from the website in the previous posts, the exhausts on the A-4/C-6 kits do indeed appear to be correct for the 88A-1 as well.  I am chomping even more at the bit to see the A-1 now to be sure what actually comes with it.

Well it looks like I have to use my old camera phone, as my new one is set to take photos in the 5 meg range (or I'll reset my new phone)

I didn't know that photobucket started charging, I think I last used it in 2014/15 ?

@Wm Blecky,

Wm- did you get your description of the exhaust stacks reversed in your post that included the large photos? The first photo shows the LH side of the port engine, not the stbd. side, and the second photo shows the  RH side of the port engine. Am I crazy?

Mike

Right round 2, Hopefully this works

These are the engine exhausts from my Revell Junkers Ju88A-1/D-4 I've done a Picture of the Front and Back as well as the Front of the Kit Box

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by David Hadland

That rather looks like it belongs to a much earlier generation of kits David, thankfully, manufacturers have (mostly) moved on & what @Wm Blecky has shown is more typical. I'm sure with some application, it is still possible to get a good looking result from your older kit & with less complication possibly.

Steve.

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That rather looks like it belongs to a much earlier generation of kits David, thankfully, manufacturers have (mostly) moved on & what @Wm Blecky has shown is more typical. I'm sure with some application, it is still possible to get a good looking result from your older kit & with less complication possibly.

Steve.

Yes, its the 70's kit from Matchbox that Revell are using, according to scalemates the only 2 things that Revell changed was the Decals and the Box the kit came in.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Smudge, so are the actual kit parts (pertaining to this posting) different than those on the First Look website?

Hi Wm.B,

No, those are definitely the parts in the kit.

11 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

Based on the images found from the website in the previous posts, the exhausts on the A-4/C-6 kits do indeed appear to be correct for the 88A-1 as well. 

No, I don't think so, because they have a 4 stub and long shroud arrangement that I can't see on any A-1's.

The parts in the earlier Revell A-4 and C-6 are not the same as those that are in the new kit, Revell have provided the new parts as pictured and they have the 5 stub, shroud, 6th stub arrangement.

I do agree that this does not correspond to the photographs of the Soviet aircraft, which has a straight 6 arrangement on the port/left side of the engines. 

If this was standard on all A-1 aircraft then yes, Revell have made an error, and this would probably best be sorted by using the Quickboost 72-277 set.

In Revells defence it may just be that they have references for the port side that show the arrangement they have provided. Possibly later production aircraft or a modification? The A-1 was the first operational Ju-88 version and quite likely had many in service mods. Unfortunately I have not been able to find any photographs (yet) that back this up. All the images I have are for the starboard side, which at least do thankfully show the 5/shroud/6th arrangement. I'll keep looking!

As an aside I am slightly disappointed by the representation of the dive brakes as a single slab of plastic rather than individual slats. The IPMS Germany site notes that an aftermarket part is available, any links?

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, David Hadland said:

Yes, its the 70's kit from Matchbox that Revell are using, according to scalemates the only 2 things that Revell changed was the Decals and the Box the kit came in.

That is the original Revell Ju88/kit from the late 60s. In its defense,  the fuselage was marginally better shaped than the Airfix kit of similar vintage. I built 2-3 of those old Revell kits back in the day, including a simplIfied A-1 conversion. Matchbox did release a Ju 188, but never did a 88 of their own as best I can recall. Here is a link to the initial Revel release (1967)

edit to clarify (I hope)

Edited by Chuck1945
  • Like 1

Hi all,

as such an interesting discussion developed I tried to find more information regarding the exhausts but as @Smudge said it is almost impossible to find conclusive pictures. Either it is not clear if it is an A-1 or if that is clear they mostly show the starboard side. Unfortunately we would need both sides from the same A/C to be really sure.

Still, I found another hint in the manual for the A-1. Again it is not absolutely conclusive but maybe a further evidence that left and right exhaust stacks are different. In Section 7. Triebweksanlage (Engines), Page 716 you can find an overview picture showing the 5/shroud/6th configuration (starboard side) with the following description (Page 717):

"Außerdem  ist  auf  die  rechte  Rückstrahldüse  des  Zylinders  6 ein  Dampfkessel  (4)  für  die  Führerraumbeheizung  aufgesteckt  und  mit  Draht  sowie  einer  Schelle  gegen  Lösen  gesichert."

"In addition, a steam boiler (4) for the pilot's cabin heating is plugged onto the right rear jet nozzle of cylinder 6 and secured with wire and a clamp against loosening"

Item (4) fills the space between exhaust stack (jet nozzle) 5 and 6. This indicates that the exhast stack arrangement is indeed different between left and right side. Btw. you can download the manual here to have a look: http://www.airwar.ru/other/manuals/[aviation] - [manuals] - Ju 88 A-1 Betriebsanleitung.pdf

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

That is the original Revell Ju88/kit from the late 60s. In its defense,  the fuselage was marginally better shaped than the Airfix kit of similar vintage. I built 2-3 of those old Revell kits back in the day, including a simplIfied A-1 conversion. Matchbox did release a Ju 188, but never did a 88 of their own as best I can recall. Here is a link to the initial Revel release (1967)

edit to clarify (I hope)

Thats weird because when I looked at my kit on scalemates it showed the kit being virtually straight from the 1976 Matchbox kit, those other Revell kits weren't there at all.

Edited by David Hadland
Grammar is my friend, apparently and not leaving words out.

The things we obsess on when building a model! The discussion and queries regarding the exhausts on the new-tool Ju-88A-1 prompted me to pull my Ju-88 references, including Classic Publications V23/24, Ju-88 Pt 1 and 2; Kagero V57/59, Ju-88 Pt 1 and 2;  Aero Detail on the Ju-88; and FAOW V7, Ju-88. After looking at every photo and factory diagram, I am no more sure of the answer to the exhaust question than when @Wm Blecky posted his query. Here's what I found out, and I have NO idea if my findings are correct.

From looking at all the photos and diagrams from factory manuals I could find, it appears there were three different exhaust configurations seen on A-1 thru A-14 variants. One has shrouded exhausts on each side of the engine cowling, much like those on a Mosquito or Lancaster; another  has six individual exhaust stacks on each side of the engine cowling, with the first stack on either side covered by a bulged fairing; the third has five exhaust stacks on each side of the engine cowling, followed by a flat muff/duct, followed by a sixth exhaust stack. 

There is a description and diagrams of the thermal deicing system used in the leading edge of the outer wings; it appears that there is a manifold/muff that has air  heated by the exhaust on the outboard side  and ducted along the leading edge of the wings outboard of the engine nacelles; it also appears that there is a similar manifold/muff associated with the exhaust on the inboard side of each nacelle- this might supply cabin heat as @Shorty84 described above.

If any/all of this is correct, those aircraft that had provision for hot air deicing and cabin heat would most likely have the five stack/flat section/single stack exhaust  on both sides of each engine nacelle. Those that did not, might have the six stack exhaust on the outboard side of each nacelle and the five stack/flat section/single exhaust on the inboard side to supply cabin heat. Perhaps North African based Ju's did not need the deicing system?

None of the blinkin' photos showed the inboard and outboard side of each engine nacelle for the same airplane!  Best I can do with the references I have. Sorry!

Mike

• Like 1

I don´t care about the exhausts that much, but having heard nothing yet about a new canopy mask set for the A-1 is a surprise. V-P

Edit: A reply from Eduard says: Hello, the painting mask as well as some PE accessories are going to be released probably in October this year.

• Like 2