Revell's 1/72 Ju.88A-1 finally available, BUT...

Wm Blecky

18 hours ago, David Hadland said:

Thats weird because when I looked at my kit on scalemates it showed the kit being virtually straight from the 1976 Matchbox kit, those other Revell kits weren't there at all.

That sprue layout you posted earlier is very much like the other kits by Revell from the same era (e.g. the late 60s). 
Scalemates occasionally has it wrong, especially with older non-US kits but considering the sheer amount of entries that's to be expected when dealing with 'antiques'.

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

The things we obsess on when building a model!...........

After looking at every photo and factory diagram, I am no more sure of the answer to the exhaust question than when @Wm Blecky posted his query.

..................................... I have NO idea if my findings are correct.

Yes, we can be a bit obsessive at times :D

Shame we can't find a definitive answer to this one. However, I'm sure something will turn up.

11 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Edit: A reply from Eduard says: Hello, the painting mask as well as some PE accessories are going to be released probably in October this year.

Thanks for that, a canopy mask set will make life a little easier. It will also be interesting to see what they make of the exhausts, and will they do a resin set?

Roll on October...........

Well, this has become quite the quandary?  

I was poking around eBay for a book on the Ju.88 and came across this one.  Does anyone here have it?  Can someone tell me if it is worth picking up? and if it might have information on the A-1 variant?

Thanks! 

Exhaust stacks?

I don't care really.  It's only details.

Once you get over the shock of my ham-fisted attempt at building this (or any) kit and then the wavy lines that will make up the sharp edges of the splinter camouflage have been got over, you'll not care about the number of exhaust stubs on each nacelle.

You'll smile - indulgently -  and shake your head.

:shocked:

But I'll love it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 7/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, FatFlyHalf said:

Exhaust stacks?

I don't care really.  It's only details.

Once you get over the shock of my ham-fisted attempt at building this (or any) kit and then the wavy lines that will make up the sharp edges of the splinter camouflage have been got over, you'll not care about the number of exhaust stubs on each nacelle.

You'll smile - indulgently -  and shake your head.

:shocked:

But I'll love it.

I'm already shaking my head... 😒

So getting back on topic - this Hall Park book on the 88, worth picking up?  or is there some better as it relates to the topic at hand?

Edited by Wm Blecky

On 7/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, FatFlyHalf said:

you'll not care about the number of exhaust stubs on each nacelle.

Exhaust stacks? "We don' need no steenkin' exhaust stacks!" With apologies to Mel Brooks. Just do one with the shrouded exhausts, and it won't matter how many  or in what configuration they are; heck, I don't even have the kit in my hands, yet! How did Shakespeare put it- much ado about nothing? Now, if this were a Corsair, then @Corsairfoxfouruncle might have something to say about it!

Mike

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

I'm already shaking my head... 😒

So getting back on topic - this Hall Park book on the 88, worth picking up?  or is there some better as it relates to the topic at hand?

I almost responded yesterday, then decided I ought to check the booklet. Turns out it is still packed away with about 1/3 of my library.  Based on memory, it is typical of that series, overall general coverage of the type with some profiles and photos, lacking specific details. There might be a photo of an A-1 that shows the appropriate side of an engine nacelle but personally I wouldn’t buy it based on that hope unless you just want another general Ju 88 reference. I’ve seen the Classic Pubs Ju 88 two book set mentioned in this thread, but I don’t recall if there was anything definitive said regarding your questions.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Wm Blecky said:

.....this Hall Park book on the 88, worth picking up? 

39 minutes ago, Chuck1945 said:

There might be a photo of an A-1 that shows the appropriate side of an engine nacelle but personally I wouldn’t buy it based on that hope unless you just want another general Ju 88 reference......

These are nice publications, but I would concur with the above. If you want a nice relatively inexpensive Ju-88 reference, then this would be a good one.

• Thanks 1

Dear All,

No kit is ever perfect so I think a call out is due to Revell for producing this kit, which has been on many a wish list for several years.

Thank you Revell, and others, from all modest and moderately experienced modellers for now allowing us all to build pretty much every type that flew in the BoB almost straight out of the box. All we need now is a decent He111- H1 to 5 (any) although for the time being the P from Airfix & Hasegawa will be more than adequate to meet my needs

Colin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1