Here is my initial entry to the GB, 

Airfix 1/72 B P Defiant Mk 1 & Bf 109E dogfight double, so to speak. I am building them in flight and will make a display stand with the 109 bearing down on the Daffy.

The Defiant will be in the markings of 141 Squadron and the 109 will be from III/JG51. These two squadrons were involved in a very brief engagement on 19 July 1940 and was a clear indication that the Germans had got over the surprise of the Defiants sting in the tail.  I will add a bit more info as the build progresses. This is a placeholder for the time being as i have two other projects ongoing in other GB's.

A couple of pics.......

TFL, Cheers Greg

50096565141_d1b3a02ee6_z.jpg

50096797257_fdf3ed7e15_z.jpg

• Like 15

On 7/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, Heather Kay said:

You spoiled my head count!  :rofl2:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with these, especially for 141 Squadron which was only down the road from me in West Malling.

Ooops! Sorry about that 😀

Did a wee bit of research about the Defiant's participation in the Battle, and found out that on the whole it wasn't their finest hour. However they certainly did their bit so to speak. After the 19 July 141 were  moved to Prestwick, in Ayrshire as part of 13 Group. 

Looking forward to getting started, and good job on your MPM version, it looks really good 👍

Cheers Greg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling

• 4 weeks later...

Right, chocks away!

I am starting with the Defiant as i have been doing a bit of background reading. I have the aircraft of the Aces series of paperbacks with the one that covers Defiant, Blemheim & Havoc Aces, and i also picked up Defiant Mk 1 Combat Log on the Kindle. The latter covers May to September 1940 so is very relevant to the BoB. Not surprisingly the book is short at 80 pages and is really a compliation of ORB and actaul Combat reports from the period in question. My Defiant will be from 141 Squadron, the second Squadron to become fully operational on the type. After a quite start to their career doing standing patrols and Convoy cover 141 ran in to trouble on 19 July south of Folkstone when having been too late to intercept a raid on Dover Harbour they were redirected to Cap Griz Nes. The formation of 9 aircraft were bounced by Bf 109;s from III/JG51 and lost 4 aircraft in the 109,s initial pass. Without the hard won experience 264 Squadron had gained over Holland & France 141 suffered 6 aircraft lost in their first combat with the enemy. Another Defiant was written off in a forced landing returning to base. 10 men dead most of them the air gunners.   

141 were taken out of the front line and regrouped in Scotland as part of 13 Group. 264 Squadron had their patrols cancelled the same day but were to continue in the Day fighter role until late August when they too were withdrawn from the Battle.

Despite all the heavy losses the Defiant continued to be of service and was to see better results in the nightfighter role until it was superceeded by the Beaufighter and Mosquito.

My model will be built in tandem with a 109 in JG51 markings. On the fateful day in July the Germans didn't get away unscathed losing one 109 to 141's guns. 

As for my model well its underway, and has been very straightforward so far. As i will be building it wheels up it will take even less time as the undercaridge assembly is quite detailed in the lowered position and takes up a reasonable part of the build.

Here is what i have so far...

TFL Greg

50190390198_f264d1ec3d_z.jpg

50191196217_d77da51a11_z.jpg

• Like 11

Well, as those of you who have built this before may know, this kit is flying together.

I have not had to break out the filler at all and all assemblies have fitted perfectly (or as well as i can manage :) ).

The photos speak for themselves, i hope, so i'll move on to those. Decals are from an AM set i got for my last Defiant build, and went on very well with decalfix.

Im starting the 109 shortly as this one will be ready for its stand/base soon.

TFL Cheers Greg

50218076937_58429bd571_z.jpg

50217855001_0d382061c8_z.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another update.

The Defiant is essentially complete bar the small fragile bits that i will add once it is mounted on its base.

I have made progress with the 109 which has been very straightforward apart from getting the smaller parts off the sprues without breaking them. So far i have broke the radio mast and one of the tailplane supports. However i managed to get them back together with a lot of patience. Also for anyone wishing to include the pilot, he won't fit unless you shorten his legs. I had to chop mine off at the boots. 

Some photos, TFL 

Cheers Greg

50253975273_1cc87abb63_z.jpg

50253975378_1abff0fb90_z.jpg

50253975333_96a7a76f58_z.jpg

50253975298_3d74820245_z.jpg

• Like 14

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Looking good. I very rarely find that pilots fit without some major surgery!

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers mate 🍺

The 109 is nearly done, so more progress to post shortly  😁

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

both the Defiant and the 109 look good! Great painting job on the Defiant.

For the 109, are you going with the box art or something else?

Airfix call their kit a 109 E-3.

Has it got the earlier more rounded canopy? The 109 on the box art is definitely an E-4, as far as I am aware.

Almost there!

JR

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Greg,

both the Defiant and the 109 look good! Great painting job on the Defiant.

For the 109, are you going with the box art or something else?

Airfix call their kit a 109 E-3.

Has it got the earlier more rounded canopy? The 109 on the box art is definitely an E-4, as far as I am aware.

Almost there!

JR

Hi Jean, 

No Airfix have not supplied the earlier E-3 style canopy on this kit. Annoyingly it is provided on the 1/48 kits. 

I am going with the box set markings and scheme as they are reportedly for 3/JG51 who were responsible for the decimation of 141 Squadron during BoB. 

I will post photos soon as my 109 is now at the same stage as the Defiant. I now need to build a base for the two models.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Although it's listed as an E-3 the real aircraft that boxing of the Airfix kit represents did have the later E-4-type canopy fitted. It was retro-fitted to some E-1's and E-3's.

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks for that Stew! 

Cheers Greg🍺

Oh yes!

I love this 109!

Sterling work.

JR

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jean said:

Oh yes!

I love this 109!

Sterling work.

JR

Thanks Jean,

Much appreciated. Still got all the wee bits to add but will wait until it's so ready to go on the stand.

Cheers Greg 👍

On 8/28/2020 at 10:43 PM, GREG DESTEC said:

Pictures of the 109, as promised

Greg,

Just catching up with this thread. The 109 really looks quite special.

Ray

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Greg,

Just catching up with this thread. The 109 really looks quite special.

Ray

Thanks Ray 👍

Getting them both ready to add to the base now. 

Cheers Greg