Oft talked about in the All Spitfire Questions thread, apparently the Interior Green is supposed to be for the cockpit - and behind the frame where the seat is mounted is not considered part of the cockpit, therefore aluminium.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tim Moff said:

I was looking at the arch behind that to the rear - where the seat belts go to?

The seat belt goes through that rear arch to a belt tensioner, I have been looking for a good photo but unfortunately I cannot find one.  I did find another photo of a Mk.V that shows the rear arch is silver and the thickness of the fuel tank "armour", divide that by 48 to get scale thickness. :winkgrin:

Spitfire cockpit, 1943.

• Thanks 1

I have just received my Eduard Spifires,  the kit is very nice, but they seem to be like Tamiya and are keen to apply the IFF wires, both early and later fuselages have the insulators engraved and the instructions do not tell you to fill them if they are not relevant for your build. :shrug:

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the fine reference pictures, Bob.

My Eduard Spitfires are here too. Since I want to build one from August 1938 from that, the vents for the gun heating system from that kit have been glued onto this Tamiya Mk I.

Quite strange indeed that they made the effort to mould a special fuselage with the Original tank cover and forgot to leave off the insulators for the IFF wires.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here she is, ready for paint. I left off the pitot tube and will paint that separately.

I know I'd only knock it off during the painting and masking process. 

CCQ2Kr6.jpg

I still need to add the rearview mirror and the radio antenna mast.

Cheers, Stefan.

• Like 7

Hi,

There was a bit of a gap between the lower fuselage and the wing. I thought that it was small enough to look like a panel line under a coat of paint. But once the Sky had been sprayed on, the gap kept disturbing me and drawing my attention.

So, I filled and sanded it smooth. The new coat of Sky has been applied.    

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The parts that should remain Sky have been masked off and the Dark Earth was sprayed onto the model.

While the Sky bit is nice and smooth, I have a tiny pebble effect on het Dark Earth bit. Not real orange peel, but it's not really smooth either.

bvtAwws.jpg

Today I'll do the masking in anticipation of the Dark Green.

Cheers, Stefan;   

Edited by Stefan Buysse
  • Like 6

Hi,

So, I had printed page 36 of the Fündekals instructions to use as a guide for the masking.

Apparantly, there is a mistake in there. The sideviews show a B scheme, while the topview shows the A scheme.

I figure they were mostly concentrating on the markings and that the topview of an A scheme was added in error.

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hi,

As I was masking for the green paint, I had already noticed that the Dark Earth lifted off easily, even with Tamiya tape.

So, it was quite an exciting time when I removed the masking after spraying the Dark Green. The worst bit was on the starboard wing, but luckily it wasn't an all-out disaster.

5xsn1Hl.jpg

I masked off the Dark Green bits around the affected parts and sprayed on Dark Earth from Mr Paint.

Cheers, Stefan. 

Edited by Stefan Buysse
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

24 minutes ago, Stefan Buysse said:

I masked off the Dark Green bits around the affected parts and sprayed on Dark Earth from Mr Paint.

It's a pity when the paint lifts off like that, hopefully the repaint works OK. :fingerscrossed:

• Like 1

Hi,

The repaint went well enough. After some final touch-ups with a brush, the aircraft received a coat of Future.

I'm still hoping that it will look fairly good from a distance.

I'm thinking of building a Hurricane for the last month of the GB. Mr Paint all over for that one.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...