Etrich Taube 1/48 Flashback

Sat and had a read/watch of how to do rigging last night. So this afternoon I decided to make some turn buckles. Well the hoops anyway. I will order some brass tube tomorrow. 

I cut the end off a large paint brush and put a loop on the end. Then carefully wound 10 amp fuse wire round it. 

20200713_170356

They're just a hair larger than the queen's earrings. 

20200712_231637

I'm just going to make a load, because no doubt I will loose some. Did about 30 in 45 minutes, with a few interruptions. 

2020-07-13_06-51-11

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I’d love to add a taube to my collection but the rigging is truely daunting ( and I like rigging things) so good luck .

This is a first for me, both rigging and a Taube, so right in at the deep end for me. 

• Like 1

I'm planning on getting some paint on this later on after errands are done and child permitting. 

Can someone just check my working, please. 

I'm thinking spray highly diluted black first where the decals would show through the canvas, then a dark cote, mask the ribs, then a lighter cote of tan/canvas colour, remove tape from ribs, dust over with same light colour again. 

Does that sound right? 

2020-07-15_09-34-08

🐧 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Does that sound right? 

The effect of translucency in these early bird marks is a bit of a double edge sword.

In this particular case the wing has a double surface on the first 2/3rds and a single surface on the last 1/3rd.

Logic dictates that the translucency should be stronger on the latter.

But are we talking of translucency or just fabric soaked trough with pigment? if the latter, then the last third should show traces of the lettering, and nothing ahead of it.

If the former, what about spars? should they cast a shadow too? But light is shining from the top, not from bellow, so theoretically no marks should show by translucency.

I have built many, many early birds, dozens of them. But I am no expert and others may further comment with more expertise, adding, agreeing or disagreeing.

One thing is for sure: there is a tendency to represent early birds as old and worn-out, heavily weathered, etc.. Not the case when they originally flew, when they were new, needless to say.

Museums may show tattered and stained planes, but 100 years later. Originals were kept, one may assume, as clean as possible, as any other plane today. Some stains were there for sure: oil, mud from the wheels, exhaust sooth, but no decrepit look. 

Not sure if these comments help, but I am building the same plane from the 1/72 Airframe vac kit (hence the material I have on it) and musing over these choices too.

Cheers

• Like 2

@Moa yes I noticed this on the box art and looking at the kit on the light, the thinner 1/3rd of the wing is also thinner plastic on the kit. It's how I lined up the stencil, just popped a torch under the wing 🔦😊

I'm going to mask the ribs after the dark cote and soften them with a lighter shade, then add oil paints to the ribs. 

I might spray them darker and layer up the paint till it looks right. 

And thanks for the pics, I've referred to them a few times. 👍

🐧 

• Like 1

Managed some time on this earlier. Put the black on, then covered it in xf-78 dectan with a tiny drop of deck tan 

20200717_171958

Then I halved some tape to make 1mm ish strips for the spars. 

20200717_174148

Aaaaannnd then my airbrush started playing up. I've cracked the nozzle, so ordered a new one. 🙄

I've also got bubbles coming back into the paint cup, so it's going to need a good servicing. 😔

🐧 

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 7

On 12/07/2020 at 02:33, Moa said:

It's looking great, good job.

How particular the shape is, giving it its unmistakable charm.

It looks so much like a dove it is almost comical. :giggle:

spacer.png 

But this is very interesting, and I will follow this build now. Too bad the kit is so difficult to get hold of and expensive, because the first flight in Norway by a Norwegian was with a Rumpler Taube, "Start", which is now on display in a museum. So this plane is especially interesting to me, and I look forward to seeing how this turns out. :happy:

• Like 1

The airbrush came a few days ago. Very impressed by it for the price. Paint cup is a little small but very easy to use. I decided to make a WHIF out of an old Gloster Meteor and a bit of scratch building fun. 

20200721_215937

A few days later the metal tube I ordered came. Having never done rigging before this was new. I couldn't wait to have a go. 

I'm using monofilament a friend gave me that I'm guessing is 0.25mm. Its too thick to double back through the tube which is 0.3mm ID.

So I need to order some 0.1mm line. £2.50 online for a roll. 

Anyway, some pics of my attempts, and a little bit of practice on an old sopwith camel model that sits on the shelf.

I might make a load of hoops that are out of the thinner gauge wire as seen in the first pic. 

20200722_212201

20200722_212413

20200722_214038

This one I realised the tube is too long. It helped me to get a feel for though. So onward to a smaller turnbuckle. 

20200722_215139

I realise the placement and scale may be a little off. But I decided to have a practice on the sopwith camel I mentioned. (paint work isn't the best) 

20200722_223510

20200722_223517

Right. I'm off to make some smaller loops and have a bit more of a practice on this model. 

🐧 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of a play with this today. I don't have the right tools for the job, so I've ordered some 0.1mm line and a new set of drills from 0.1mm up to 1mm from the bay. 

I also managed to purchase some sand coloured paint that I put on one the one masked wing earlier.

Completely wiped out the 'reversed' decals. But I still have the templates to re instate them at a later date should I wish to do so. 

I know @Moa suggested that the light source would have to be from underneath, but I quite like the idea of just having the reversed image slightly visable. And a challenge for me to replicate.

I will box this build till the drill bits and extra thin line arrive. And carry on with other projects in the side lines. 

Happy modelling 

🐧 

Edited by FPDPenguin
Fat fingers on mobile screen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Had a bit of a play with this today. I don't have the right tools for the job, so I've ordered some 0.1mm line and a new set of drills from 0.1mm up to 1mm from the bay. 

I also managed to purchase some sand coloured paint that I put on one the one masked wing earlier.

Completely wiped out the 'reversed' decals. But I still have the templates to re instate them at a later date should I wish to do so. 

I know @Moa suggested that the light source would have to be from underneath, but I quite like the idea of just having the reversed image slightly visable. And a challenge for me to replicate.

I will box this build till the drill bits and extra thin line arrive. And carry on with other projects in the side lines. 

Happy modelling 

🐧 

You (and everybody else) should build the models as they blippy-well please.

Go after your vision, so you are happy with it.

These are not weekenders, so it's good that you take your time, and the pace anyway these days is dictated mostly by the post offices (who would have known!? Essay: "The PO and global modeling, interaction and resonance").

Looking forward to see it coming along.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use the same bits and they are really really easy to snap. I have to remember to take them out of the drill when I’m finished but on the plus side they are ridiculously cheap. You can also buy a set all the same size, I got a box or .5mm as I find this and 1mm are my most used sizes.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Only just found this - I built the Pegasus offering some years ago and the rigging was fun, if not a challenge and I was using rolled copper wire (1/72 scale). You are certainly a glutton for punishment if this is your first attempt at rigging, but looking at what you have achieved so far you will succeed I am sure.

Will be following with interest - I too like these early birds very much - so much more interesting that later types.

P

• Like 1

I now have some thinner monofilament from evil Bay, after one seller took almost 2 weeks to post it, and then refunded me the money anyway. Was only £1.60

I will probably get further on this tomorrow evening or Monday, as the weather looks atrocious. 

🐧 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having seen the fantastic completed Taube by @Moai guess I really should do something with this. I'm thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and cut the small amount of inboard wing off so that they don't sit flush against the fuselage. @Marklo is building one too, and I can't be the odd one out, even though it doesn't mention this in the destructions. I will try to get this done soon.

I have a 3 month old son and my time is obviously taken up with him at the moment. I have however now got a dremel tool. So I should be able to do it a little quicker and neater. 

Hope to update soon on this one. 

🐧 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Moa said:

First, congratulations!

And second, how can find any time to do anything else?

Brave man!

Looking forward to the next steps.

Cheers

With 3 or 4 projects on the go. I manage a little time here and there, mostly just pottering, scribing, filling and sanding, sub assemblies etc. 

Thanks for the encouragement though 👍 

🐧 

• Like 1

I vaguely remember having a three month old daughter. Very little else but lots of coffee and sleep deprivation was involved :) She is of course all grown up now.

As for the Taube, all you need is some 1mm brass rod (Albion alloys are good, but if you go to the local florist they will do flower arranging wire which is also 1mm and plastic coated, but probably steel) a razor saw a 1mm drill and the conviction to slice up a perfectly good model :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Haha 1