Manston rises from the ashes

jenko

6 minutes ago, Jabba said:

NIMBY

Yes. Most odd as he pushed to keep the Americans in Alconbury to support his constituency, they moved 2 squadrons of A-10s. The runway at Bentwaters had been rebuilt for the F-15s but his interference got BW closed then the Eagles went to Lakenheath. When plans to make Alconbury a freight hub, everyone in the area was in favour. His was the only voice of dissent. He sent the only letter of complaint, and it got canned.

• Sad 2

Good news despite the predictable, ritual whining from the NIMBY/ Tree hugger brigade.

Hope common sense prevails and this goes ahead.

With the impending sale of Prestwick Airport I'd hope for a similar development there.

Allan

On 7/9/2020 at 11:20 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Let's hope it has a smooth passage and plenty of customers. I'd be quite happy to spend some time on the fence with my camera in four or five years time.

Manston is not exactly next door (I live in Edinburgh) but, Prestwick Airport is also up for sale, with the owners of Glasgow Airport being the preferred bidder.

Events have seen the sale put on hold but, the preferred use of the site would be as a combined maintenance/engineering site/freight hub.

There has been some ritual whining about the death of Prestwick as a passenger terminal but, considering there is only a handful of Ryanair flights (the only passenger traffic) every day, I don't see this as a great loss. Prestwick is a dead duck anyway as far as passengers are concerned.

Most of its flights now are freight with its largest current customer being the USAF.

Movements might still not be all that  frequent but, there's enough to tempt me into the occasional 260km round trip!!

Who knows what a proper development may bring! 😊

Allan